NPR reports that electric bikes will be classified as non-motorized by NPS and USFS

OP
Newtosavage
Pay no attention to the facts! Gather the hipsters and bring the pitchforks, there are pints to be consumed!

Unless they are alternate facts of course.

Here's a fact:

They obviously offer an advantage, otherwise you would just pedal your ******* bike around.

Motorized should mean motorized. Electric or gas. This will open the door for a lot of crap we don't want to see in the back country.

rob86jeep

WKR
Unless they are alternate facts of course.

Here's a fact:

Motorized should mean motorized. Electric or gas. This will open the door for a lot of crap we don't want to see in the back country.
They give people an advantage when using a pedal bike. The same way gears give people an advantage when using a pedal bike. There's not going to be a ton of people motoring all over the forest now just because of this change. There will be no new bikers in the woods just because of this clarification.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They give people an advantage when using a pedal bike. The same way gears give people an advantage when using a pedal bike. There's not going to be a ton of people motoring all over the forest now just because of this change. There will be no new bikers in the woods just because of this clarification.
Not true just look at the work put into having the rules changed. Plus with new the rule change the gray area of how much pedaling is needed and amount of motor assist will increase for sure until...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Newtosavage
I'd wager against that, but only time will tell. No point in us arguing who will be right at this time.

Go back and read the rule. There are three classes of bikes included, and class 2 does not require pedaling.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.o..._through_the_use_of_electric_bikes_-508_0.pdf

rob86jeep

WKR
I'd wager against that, but only time will tell. No point in us arguing who will be right at this time.

Go back and read the rule. There are three classes of bikes included, and class 2 does not require pedaling.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.o..._through_the_use_of_electric_bikes_-508_0.pdf
You're correct, but it still states "bicycle" which means it must have pedals. Although somebody could make a really heavy bicycle (due to a large motor and battery) with pedals to stay within the law just to provide an unfair advantage to hunters/outdoor enthusiasts, it would be a very small client base. No company would put forth the R&D because their sales would be too low. Good thing is the notice also states ebikes are only allowed where traditional bikes are, so no new areas are going to get visited.

Only time will tell like you said, but I highly doubt this will affect hunters any different than traditional mountain bikes already have. On the flip side, this might allow/encourage mountain bikers that can't ride much any more due to health reason to get back out on the trail (which I think is a great thing).

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're correct, but it still states "bicycle" which means it must have pedals. Although somebody could make a really heavy bicycle (due to a large motor and battery) with pedals to stay within the law just to provide an unfair advantage to hunters/outdoor enthusiasts, it would be a very small client base. No company would put forth the R&D because their sales would be too low. Good thing is the notice also states ebikes are only allowed where traditional bikes are, so no new areas are going to get visited.

Only time will tell like you said, but I highly doubt this will affect hunters any different than traditional mountain bikes already have. On the flip side, this might allow/encourage mountain bikers that can't ride much any more due to health reason to get back out on the trail (which I think is a great thing).
Health reason lol. Always some new excuse to make it FAIR for a special user group.
My buddy was injured in road side bomb in Iraq and does a hundred mile bike ride with one leg every single year to raise money for veterans. Fair? life's a bitch but those that bitch loudest get special treatment.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Health reason lol. Always some new excuse to make it FAIR for a special user group.
My buddy was injured in road side bomb in Iraq and does a hundred mile bike ride with one leg every single year to raise money for veterans. Fair? life's a bitch but those that bitch loudest get special treatment.

Got to tap out of this topic but as you can tell I don't approve of this rule change

dgarrett

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like some Senators brother in law has stock in the bike companies... With the amount of roads the Forest Service . BLM, and State Trust land have closed in the last 20 years around here... you might have to walk from the interstate highways soon...I think this is a bad decision... walk in only or no wheeled vehicles of any kind

HookUp

WKR
Horrible. The bright side is the area I hunt an ebike or regular bike will do no good. Hopefully the FS will close and destroy roads as opposed to gating them.

jeff68

FNG
BC parks just outlawed any ebike with a motor bigger than 500 watts and limited the ones allowed to the kind you have to pedal to keep it going. I don't know much about ebikes but it does seem silly any of them are allowed.
That's 0.67 hp

rob86jeep

WKR
Some time the doom and gloom is too much for me on these threads. It seems every change that comes about that isn't specifically "pro backpack hunter" is the end of all our lands and animals. The outdoors are there for everybody to use, thus the term public. Mountain bikers, hikers, backpackers, campers, bird watchers, and now ebikes, have the same right to use the public lands as hunters do. Will some things cause issues with other users, sure. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have their right to use the lands as we do. As long as everybody respects the land and wildlife, there isn't going to be any issues (and i've seen plenty of hunters trash the land just like every other user group, we aren't immune to idiots).

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some time the doom and gloom is too much for me on these threads. It seems every change that comes about that isn't specifically "pro backpack hunter" is the end of all our lands and animals. The outdoors are there for everybody to use, thus the term public. Mountain bikers, hikers, backpackers, campers, bird watchers, and now ebikes, have the same right to use the public lands as hunters do. Will some things cause issues with other users, sure. That doesn't mean they shouldn't have their right to use the lands as we do. As long as everybody respects the land and wildlife, there isn't going to be any issues (and i've seen plenty of hunters trash the land just like every other user group, we aren't immune to idiots).
Is there a line somewhere your not willing to cross? Are all other special user groups S**t out of luck now you got what you wanted?

How about some of these other user groups start ******* paying into conservation?

Last edited:

rob86jeep

WKR
Is there a line somewhere your not willing to cross? Are all other special user groups S**t out of luck now you got what you wanted?

How about some of these other user groups start ******* paying into conservation?
There are plenty of lines I'm not willing to cross, this one just seems very insignificant to me. The only change is allowing bikes (that are already there) to have small electric motors on them. If you had to take an educated guess, how many new bikes (not just people switching from a regular mountain bike to an ebike) will be in the woods? I would bet a VERY small number. Most of the change are people who already mountain bike trying something new.

As for paying for conservation, you're right, there's only a few groups of users paying for everything when most of the groups (bikers, hikers, campers, etc) don't have to pay anything. I do think they should fix that but it is a different issue completely. Something to think about though, a lot of the money going to hunting and conservation related expenses comes from the Pittman-Robertson Act. It is a 10 or 11% tax on all firearms and ammunition. Imagine all the gun/shooting enthusiasts who don't hunt but are footing the bill for us hunters. Things aren't always fair although I do hope they make some changes to funding and try to even the bill in the future.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are plenty of lines I'm not willing to cross, this one just seems very insignificant to me. The only change is allowing bikes (that are already there) to have small electric motors on them. If you had to take an educated guess, how many new bikes (not just people switching from a regular mountain bike to an ebike) will be in the woods? I would bet a VERY small number. Most of the change are people who already mountain bike trying something new.

As for paying for conservation, you're right, there's only a few groups of users paying for everything when most of the groups (bikers, hikers, campers, etc) don't have to pay anything. I do think they should fix that but it is a different issue completely. Something to think about though, a lot of the money going to hunting and conservation related expenses comes from the Pittman-Robertson Act. It is a 10 or 11% tax on all firearms and ammunition. Imagine all the gun/shooting enthusiasts who don't hunt but are footing the bill for us hunters. Things aren't always fair although I do hope they make some changes to funding and try to even the bill in the future.
I don't know I might get one(class 2) with a trailer now. I bet I see atlest 3 or 4 next year during hunting season. I have places they would be plenty useful and less effort up front is more energy for later. All about the lobby money. The line as moved so will the gray areas that come along with the new rules and the next greatest thing to hit the woods is just around the corner (self driving bike) lol.

brsnow

WKR
This isn't really a big deal. It just clarified that e-bikes are classified as bicycles and thus can go where bicycles are allowed. This isn't going to increase the amount of bike traffic anywhere. It isn't referring to electric dirt bikes or motorcycles. Ebikes also aren't designed to just twist the throttle and cruise all over, their designed to give people an advantage when biking. You still pedal most of the time, it just makes it easier going up long/steep hills or when you have a long ride.

This isn't detrimental or even bad.

Not at all true, have biked numerous times in JeffCo in CO where they did a trial period of letting e-bikes on trails. They power up the most technical rock gardens with no effort put forth by the people on them. Things are going to get messy here. Horses, hikers , and real bikers having to deal with motorized bikes. Going to get ugly.

OP
Newtosavage
I suppose if the agency administrators had agreed with you, they would have allowed ebikes long ago. But they didn't. It's not as if a small group of people made up this concern. It's been considered by literally hundreds of policy makers long before now, and they collectively made a decision not to allow them. Then along comes a new secretary under this admin., and none of those considerations, public comment periods, etc matter anymore.

Billinsd

WKR
Then along comes a new secretary under this admin., and none of those considerations, public comment periods, etc matter anymore.
Lots more older, out of shape folks venturing out into their/our public lands. https://www.apnews.com/d22c8bb8a83c48c0b421dc0da81efd0b. Nothing better than multiple access, although sounds annoying for some.
They power up the most technical rock gardens with no effort put forth by the people on them. Things are going to get messy here. Horses, hikers , and real bikers having to deal with motorized bikes. Going to get ugly.
Horse poop and rock gardens sound messy to me and mountain bike falls can get ugly. Does the forest circus make horse riders pack out their horse poop, is that a regulation yet?