NPR reports that electric bikes will be classified as non-motorized by NPS and USFS

brsnow

WKR
No more than a regular bike will.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

E-bikes weight twice as much as regular mtn bikes, riders seem to be double the weight as well. Not getting into other issues you don’t think that provides a larger impact?

Handicap people are already legal with ADA devices, so no need for e-bikes.

This “decision” was out of the blue, so plenty to come in court.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
They give people an advantage when using a pedal bike. The same way gears give people an advantage when using a pedal bike. There's not going to be a ton of people motoring all over the forest now just because of this change. There will be no new bikers in the woods just because of this clarification.

BS. I bike the roads and hike the hills. If I lived in many areas if Colorado I would take advantage of one in order to get to some fishing holes. Thus a new biker in the woods. Now I can’t see myself using one for elk... but deer in the antelope flats. That is a different story.

I recall seeing the Born and Raised guys and a couple similar hunting series using these last year in some of their videos. They were using them on logging roads, but I wonder if we will see them in the future using them in Colorado or Idaho where they historically hiked in on the trails? I figured the companies would push for this because a lot of people would rather buy a dirt bike for the same price if you had to use the same trails.

There are a lot of trails in Idaho that are only open to traditional bikes or hiking that normally you wouldn't bother with a bike, because riding down hill would be easy, but you would be hiking back pushing the bike more than riding it. Some of the ones I've found haven't been used in years, maybe decades. Now if you can just ride them out, that would completely change the way those areas are hunted. It would increase the amount of area you could explore and the trails would be used, but its not to bad the way it is now. I've always wished I could ride my dirt bike on those trails, it would be great trail riding, maybe the single track community needs to hire a lobbyist and get some rules changed :)

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Actually, I think e-bikes are kind of great but NOT IN THE BACKCOUNTRY.

That is crap, and as a serious grey beard, I do mean total crap. If it has a motor, it has a motor. If you want to get there, try the quads God gave you. Too damn lazy to put on the miles to be in shape to climb the hill means too bad for you pilgrim. You hunt near the truck.

There needs to be some humility for the preservation of backcountry that transcends replacing a carburetor with a battery because it is hip cool or trendy,

Three miles back in a non-mechanized area last year, here came the wizard on his e-bike with two 50 lbs sacks (amazing balancing feat actually) of carrots blasting past. I am sure he was just eating healthy. Never a warden when you need one.

ndbuck09

WKR
This isn't really a big deal. It just clarified that e-bikes are classified as bicycles and thus can go where bicycles are allowed. This isn't going to increase the amount of bike traffic anywhere. It isn't referring to electric dirt bikes or motorcycles. Ebikes also aren't designed to just twist the throttle and cruise all over, their designed to give people an advantage when biking. You still pedal most of the time, it just makes it easier going up long/steep hills or when you have a long ride.

This isn't detrimental or even bad.

I know of a lot of classified "Non-motorized" trails here in Idaho where I can ride my MTB in and it is very hard..like it takes a lot of effort to get through really sandy soft areas, up and down creeks, etc, all with a pack with camp in it on. Put a motor on a bike and do the same 5-10 mile trail and it's super easy to access. There's countless trails that are this same way. Without any of the rhetoric, the bottom line is people are getting lazier and lazier so now you can use a motor to go on "Non-motorized" trails. Not sure why the e-bikers couldn't just be happy using the motorcycle trails, which there are thousands of...but for some reason they have pushed and pushed to gain access to the "non-motorized" as well...

easy to see that it WILL change things for people who use their own fitness and suffering to get into areas which were previously restricted to people in shape for it.

lak2004

WKR
I know of a lot of classified "Non-motorized" trails here in Idaho where I can ride my MTB in and it is very hard..like it takes a lot of effort to get through really sandy soft areas, up and down creeks, etc, all with a pack with camp in it on. Put a motor on a bike and do the same 5-10 mile trail and it's super easy to access. There's countless trails that are this same way. Without any of the rhetoric, the bottom line is people are getting lazier and lazier so now you can use a motor to go on "Non-motorized" trails. Not sure why the e-bikers couldn't just be happy using the motorcycle trails, which there are thousands of...but for some reason they have pushed and pushed to gain access to the "non-motorized" as well...

easy to see that it WILL change things for people who use their own fitness and suffering to get into areas which were previously restricted to people in shape for it.

You and others have hit the nail on the head. This WILL certainly lead to increase in biking interest and cause more trail users, which are already being loved to death and new trails being created daily. Not to mention the illegal trails that are sure to come as well. I am a mountain biker and we have more trails than we need, but the biking community is constantly pushing for more because of increased users on current trails. The people that are saying this will have NO impact are flat out wrong, but I sure wish they were not.

Everybody and their brother will be getting e bikes now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quality mid drive bike is pushing 5 grand. The lesser hub drives won’t handle the rigorous abuse of the hills. Might see a bunch of cheap ones short term until they break, but the expense is pretty steep for a bunch of people.

I had never been on an ebike but while buying my GF a new bicycle this weekend I tried a full suspension specialized electric mountain bike. It was unbelievable! In the tallest gear, I could go from barely rolling to the assist shutting off at shut off speed (20 mph?) in a few seconds. If I were just trying to pedal in that tall of a gear on a standard bike I’d fight like hell to get it to move at all. Anyone claiming this won’t make a difference because it’s still just a bike either hasn’t tried a good ebike or has some agenda preventing them from from being honest about it.

I typically find my elk by going places others don’t want to go. Every area I have elk hunted has good spots that would be easier to access by ebike. I’m against this but if it stays I will seriously consider getting one to avoid being at a disadvantage.

I have a hard time seeing the argument that this will help old/disabled folks access the backcountry. The majority of people using will still be able bodied folks looking for an advantage to access remote areas. I see this as just another way to degrade the backcountry experience and hope it gets turned around and soon!

rob86jeep

WKR
I know i've said that I don't think the new e-bike rule will have much affect (and I still believe this) but just figured I would update the thread. I also didn't think any e-bike manufacturer would make something marketed towards hunters but I am wrong. I was in Bass Pro today for the first time in a while and right at the entrance they had a camo e-bike with racks and all. It was for $4k+ but I was still surprised to see it. Maybe i'm wrong...

I know i've said that I don't think the new e-bike rule will have much affect (and I still believe this) but just figured I would update the thread. I also didn't think any e-bike manufacturer would make something marketed towards hunters but I am wrong. I was in Bass Pro today for the first time in a while and right at the entrance they had a camo e-bike with racks and all. It was for $4k+ but I was still surprised to see it. Maybe i'm wrong...

Quiet Kat, Rambo, Wicked Ridge and a host of others have been making them for some time. The 4K scares most away.

ctowntex

FNG
Here in Arkansas the AGFC have already said that the e-bikes can be used anywhere a normal bicycle can be used. Due to the e-bikes costing an arm and a leg I don't think we'll see a spike in their use here.

oenanthe

WKR
A quality mid drive bike is pushing 5 grand. The lesser hub drives won’t handle the rigorous abuse of the hills. Might see a bunch of cheap ones short term until they break, but the expense is pretty steep for a bunch of people.

That's still less money than a decent wheeler, and plenty of people seem to find the money for those.

I have been wanting an e-bike. I have found some areas they would work well in. This rule change is BS though. I have been in areas all alone 3 to 4 miles back with old logging roads all over. No motorized vehicles alowed though so no pressure. This rule change should put e-bikes all over the place in there.