NPR reports that electric bikes will be classified as non-motorized by NPS and USFS

Lawsuits waiting to happen. The ebikes were approved for use in my neighborhood that has a trail system (paved and mountain trails). The ebikes have killed the vibe and there are letters every week about the first lawsuit when one of the ebikes flies around a corner and plows into a trail runner or cyclist. I live off one of the trails and can see that it’s just a matter of time before it happens. I see where they can be used, but they need to be treated as a motorized vehicle, because that is what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro953

WKR
That is crazy. How does said bike propel itself if not with a electric motor? Seems like a all or nothing with motors. Would love to see how they justify this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
There shouldnt be anything with wheels on a trail in the wilderness, or in the wilderness areas. Unless it is specifically allowed. Even deer carts are not allowed. But if its not in the wilderness than I guess its ok?

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Saw one of these cutting up a trail in Bighorn Nat. Forest early this week. The sport even had a go pro strapped on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KBC

WKR
BC parks just outlawed any ebike with a motor bigger than 500 watts and limited the ones allowed to the kind you have to pedal to keep it going. I don't know much about ebikes but it does seem silly any of them are allowed.

ODB

WKR
There is some subtlety here though...we are seeing this through the lens of backcountry/wilderness, but there are parks with paved trails that did not allow ebikes. Perhaps the rule should be applied appropriately versus as a blanket policy.

rob86jeep

WKR
This isn't really a big deal. It just clarified that e-bikes are classified as bicycles and thus can go where bicycles are allowed. This isn't going to increase the amount of bike traffic anywhere. It isn't referring to electric dirt bikes or motorcycles. Ebikes also aren't designed to just twist the throttle and cruise all over, their designed to give people an advantage when biking. You still pedal most of the time, it just makes it easier going up long/steep hills or when you have a long ride.

This isn't detrimental or even bad.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This isn't really a big deal. It just clarified that e-bikes are classified as bicycles and thus can go where bicycles are allowed. This isn't going to increase the amount of bike traffic anywhere. It isn't referring to electric dirt bikes or motorcycles. Ebikes also aren't designed to just twist the throttle and cruise all over, their designed to give people an advantage when biking. You still pedal most of the time, it just makes it easier going up long/steep hills or when you have a long ride.

This isn't detrimental or even bad.
They obviously offer an advantage, otherwise you would just pedal your ******* bike around.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk