NR New Mexico Archery 38

Jaker_cc

WKR
Let the fun begin, after last year in Montana I vowed to never chase them with archery gear again. But that was short lived. I read on go hunt that this tag is good for 4 different units, but my license that I printed only has unit 38?? Kind of odd, I’ll be finding out the regs once the website cools down. If anyone had spent any time in this unit or on this hunt I would appreciate a leg up or a shove in the right direction. I’ll be doing my research as well as a couple scouting trips. Pretty pumped to get to hunt antelope in August.

Brooks

WKR
NM changed up the antelope hunt for this year they did away with the ranch assignment hunts and started allowing public land hunters to hunt the whole unit and private landowners can now sell hunts for their private land .The antelope hunt in 38 this year only allows a public land hunter to hunt unit 38 ....one unit. If you can obtain permission from a unit 38 landowner you can hunt his private too.

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
NM changed up the antelope hunt for this year they did away with the ranch assignment hunts and started allowing public land hunters to hunt the whole unit and private landowners can now sell hunts for their private land .The antelope hunt in 38 this year only allows a public land hunter to hunt unit 38 ....one unit. If you can obtain permission from a unit 38 landowner you can hunt his private too.

Thanks for the info, looks like I’ll be looking for access. And hunting public with everyone else

cmeyer733

FNG
I archery hunted the 4 units last year (mainly 18 and a bit of 38), but yes it looks like the regs changed this year. As far as 38, I only hunted the southern portion of the unit along hwy 55 which borders 18. I found lots of good bucks everyday in both units, but as you know, its tough with a bow. I also cruised around off windmill road just north of there, found alot of good bucks there, but its mostly private. Monsoons everyday so sitting water was not a good plan for me. Watch for rattlesnakes, lots of them around there. If you do end up hunting that southern portion, there is a nice campground at the lava field just out of Carrizozo with showers and everything. Good luck and have fun!