NR wyoming mule deer with zero points

Cowbell

WKR
Some days I wonder why every state is completely different from the next in how they issue tags and I wonder why it always has to be so complicated......and then I read threads like this and I realize there is a method to the madness and it's actually really effective 😂 😂

EdP

WKR
That was very helpful. Much more helpful than everyone else telling me to just figure it out when I clearly stated that I tried to figure it out and I couldn't.

The problem is that you really didn't try. You said yourself that you spent an hour and gave up. It takes more work than that to learn anything worthwhile about almost anything in life. Western state hunting regs can be confusing to someone from an eastern state but everything you need to know is on the Wy G&F website. It's not always easy to find but it is there. If you will put in some real work and then ask for help when you get stuck on particulars you are much more likely to get the help you need.

Laramie

WKR
Thank you. That was very helpful. Much more helpful than everyone else telling me to just figure it out when I clearly stated that I tried to figure it out and I couldn't.
Hunting is competitive. There is drastically more demand than there is supply. A good reason for that is because so many are making it easier and easier for people to do with little to no effort. Please excuse those of us that have put decades into this if we aren't willing to hold your hand while making it tougher for us to draw a tag.

wapitibob

WKR
Thank you. That was very helpful. Much more helpful than everyone else telling me to just figure it out when I clearly stated that I tried to figure it out and I couldn't.

That video is just a base primer, you'll still have to figure stuff out. The best thing any WY applicant can read is their app narrative; read it several times. This is an application booklet, not regulations but has info not included in the regs, such as prices.

After reading that, download the hunting regulations booklet , it's linked under the "regulations" tab. Scroll down to the antelope section and download it; Elk/Deer/Antelope are all in the same book.

From there you can download the demand reports, they're straight forward but are formatted to reduce space so they combine point levels into whole numbers, less than, and less than equal too groups.

If you're not in a hurry you might buy points till 2024 when nr Elk will be broken into regions. Special pricing may also be increased for E/D/A at $1950/$1200/$1200 respectively. Odds may change quite a bit.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
If you're not in a hurry you might buy points till 2024 when nr Elk will be broken into regions. Special pricing may also be increased for E/D/A at $1950/$1200/$1200 respectively. Odds may change quite a bit.

Is this actually a thing in 2024? Something i have not seen as of yet.

Laramie

WKR
I thought the guy was wanting to hunt OTC mule deer above tree line?

Laramie

WKR
Is this actually a thing in 2024? Something i have not seen as of yet.

I'd like to know this as well. I heard about some areas that are limited becoming general possibly in 2024 but not the points thing

It isn't official but appears likely. 50/50 split between regular and special draw with significantly higher fees. Most are anticipating this will significantly lower the number of points required to draw a special tag. I think for some species, in some areas, this will hold true. However, I don't think it will have much impact on draw odds in the special for tougher to draw tags. If a guy has already invested a grand into points, what's another couple if he gets to hunt years earlier than otherwise.

KHNC

WKR
It isn't official but appears likely. 50/50 split between regular and special draw with significantly higher fees. Most are anticipating this will significantly lower the number of points required to draw a special tag. I think for some species, in some areas, this will hold true. However, I don't think it will have much impact on draw odds in the special for tougher to draw tags. If a guy has already invested a grand into points, what's another couple if he gets to hunt years earlier than otherwise.
True, It will just amount to another cash penalty for NR's to hunt GEN i guess. Ill draw next year for sure. Guess we will see what the deal is come 2024 and beyond.

Laramie

WKR
True, It will just amount to another cash penalty for NR's to hunt GEN i guess. Ill draw next year for sure. Guess we will see what the deal is come 2024 and beyond.
I am by no means rich but I figure 2k is a lot less than I would lose by moving to Wyoming. Wages vs cost of living stinks, otherwise I would already be there.

KHNC

WKR
I am by no means rich but I figure 2k is a lot less than I would lose by moving to Wyoming. Wages vs cost of living stinks, otherwise I would already be there.
Agreed, the hunting opportunities would be great. However, i have zero interest in the winter weather and crappy wages, along with cost of living.

wapitibob

WKR
The elk region regulation is being drafted and the preliminary regions are drawn. The commission will vote on regions in 2023 then license numbers will be voted on April 2024 for that years season. The 50/50 split hasn’t come out of the task force yet.

The problem is that you really didn't try. You said yourself that you spent an hour and gave up. It takes more work than that to learn anything worthwhile about almost anything in life.
Thank you.

Even if you got answers to the questions you asked it would still take days of navigating the website to learn what you really need to know.

I’ve been all over that website for years, decades, and I’ll still never know as much as WapitiBob and some others.

If you really want to hunt western states learning that stuff can be enjoyable. I like planning my trips. If you’re not the planner type it might not be for you. Hunting elk and mule deer means thinking years ahead these days.

Reactions: EdP

EdP

WKR
I'm with you Indian Summer, the planning is part of the overall enjoyment of the hunt. Of any "vacation experience" really.

Rich M

WKR

When i decided to hunt WY i knew i was gonna get into a points and units game. Read the regulations, did up a table to reflect the points needed to hunt where vs the draw odds vs the harvest rates vs % pulic land, etc. all before Go Hunt and other websites.

Took about 5 or 6 hours to know everything i needed to know.

It aint rocket science. Just read the regulations. Then go to the hunt planner and filter it. So easy these days. All the data is in the hunt planner and the data tables on the website.

Or spend $100 on go hunt. That’s all they did was download it and filter it.

The reason you should do it yourself is that you will understand the process and know the diff areas. If you just ask where do i go? Uh, Unit 3, and yer off to the races, unit 3 might be the total wrong place for you and you find out after 6 years of points…

Treat it as part of your overall research. And if able, buy your pref point for this year.

I have 2 successful diy hunts, which aint bad for a deaf guy. Going guided next year cause i freaked when the 90/10 thing started. Now they ssy they want to increase NR fees. No idea what the end result is gonna be and i want out.