Nu-Way Propane Heaters

The 3500 model will be perfect. You can use one burner on the lowest setting all night to keep your tent in the 60s when it's in the teens outside.
Bruce - Is that Kodiak a 10x10 or 10x14?

I've been looking at them and they seem to check a lot of boxes. Thanks

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Second on the Nuway 3500 model. Plenty of heat for my Kodiak Canvas 10x14. I use the same tent as Bruce. Got the idea from his thread actually! I installed this stove jack with it. Pretty good system.

How does that jack work? Looks like an easy install, but is surprised me to see that the footprint isn’t larger to protect the surrounding canvas. Have you felt the surrounding canvas to see how hot it gets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
How does that jack work? Looks like an easy install, but is surprised me to see that the footprint isn’t larger to protect the surrounding canvas. Have you felt the surrounding canvas to see how hot it gets?

Super easy to install. I cried a little when I had to cut the canvas but I didn't have to put anything extra in. The heat around it was fine. I use a double wall pipe for the part that goes through the jack and that makes a big difference.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider

I should add that I bought the wall pipe kit from this site. I installed a dampener on the first section of pipe too. I also had to screw the pieces together so they didn't shift around from the wind.

I should add that I bought the wall pipe kit from this site. I installed a dampener on the first section of pipe too. I also had to screw the pieces together so they didn't shift around from the wind.

Do you feel like the damper helps much with keeping the heat in?

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Definitely! Makes a big difference. Super easy to install. Otherwise most of the heat just goes right up through the vent.

Thoughts on adding a second damper a few feet up from the first? You’d think two would be better than one. Don’t think it would hinder exhaust of CO

slowelk

WKR
I have the largest one they make, model 4000 I believe, and really like it. It has two burners so it has a pretty wide range of adjustability. I use it in a 12x12 Arctic Oven and occasionally, on colder nights, I’ll leave it on all night, with just one burner on the lowest setting. Turn both burners on high and you can use the top to cook on, or keep coffee hot, etc. It’s also really nice when you take it down and everything is just as clean as the day you bought it, won’t get that with a wood burner.
8b4e99cbbfcbf4f944b64c45a3e39ec0.jpg

@AK Troutbum what size pipe fits directly to the stove?

So it works well for you?

For cold camps, yeah. For warmer weather the 3500 is overkill, a Mr. Heater Buddy will suffice.
I have both versions of this tent...one for warm weather with the big windows...
6041__62248.1394477517.jpg

...and one for cold weather shown above.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Had a the big Nuway in a 12x12 wall tent in the breaks one year. Below 15 degrees it was worthless. We drove all the way back to Lewistown and bought the big buddy. Went to 10 below we were toasty. Keep tanks in the tent. You want dry heat go get a good riley wood stove.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Had a the big Nuway in a 12x12 wall tent in the breaks one year. Below 15 degrees it was worthless. We drove all the way back to Lewistown and bought the big buddy. Went to 10 below we were toasty. Keep tanks in the tent. You want dry heat go get a good riley wood stove.

That’s interesting. What does the buddy do that the nuway doesn’t? Did you have the damper installed?

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
That’s interesting. What does the buddy do that the nuway doesn’t? Did you have the damper installed?

BTUs. Yes had damper. But still not enough surface area to heat. Almost all the heat is up the pipe

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
BTUs. Yes had damper. But still not enough surface area to heat. Almost all the heat is up the pipe

The buddy is rated at 18,000btu on high and the big nuway is 28,000btu. Nuway must be pretty inefficient if the big buddy out performs it.

Anyone else compare the two in the same setting? Anyone else have a similar experience with the nuway not making heat below 15 degrees outside temp?

I have a Nu way 3500 propane stove. Use it in kodiak 10x10. I have one of those stove fans that I set on top of it. I believe it helps circulate the heat in the tent. Average night temps in the 20’s to low 30’s. Run it all night on one burner on low for 9 to 12 nights and burn roughly 10 to 13 gallons of propane. I have used this set up for the past 3 seasons.
I know it wasn’t the minus 15 degree comparison you asked for.

I haven't had the same experience that mtblackdog describes, but I haven't used it in sub zero Fahrenheit temps either. I think the coldest temps I've used it in were mid to high teens. I currently have a Mr. Heater (max 15,000 BTU's), and a Buddy Heater (max 9,000 BTU's), that I used for years prior to getting the Nu-Way, and I definitely prefer the Nu-Way over the two other heaters. I don't know much about wall tents/canvas tents/Kodiak tents, etc. because I've only seen them in pictures, so I don't know how well they are insulated, if at all. Arctic Oven tents are made for extremely cold environments and they are probably the best insulated tents available (for as "insulated" as a tent can be). This may be part of the reason that this stove works so well, IDK. I have no doubt that a larger box wood stove, that gets glowing when packed with burning fuel, is going to blow away even the largest Nu-Way in terms of heat production, I have a wood burner that I use in a 12 person tipi and it's great, I just prefer to use something cleaner in my AO. Plus, many of the places I hunt can be pretty limited when it comes to wood supply.

Last edited: