Nu-Way Propane Heaters

Voyageur

WKR
Some awesome information on this thread! Using my Big Buddy I have had some absolute disaster condensation issues in my Cabela’s Bighorn at 10,000ft Colorado 2nd season. My wood stove fixed all the issues last year but it’s a hassle. Considering recent Colorado fire restrictions, does anyone here know how this Nu-Way heater is classified for fire restrictions? Looks way safer than a bbq cause it’s enclosed combustion “somewhat.”
I think the classifications/restrictions will vary with each forest. For years I was unable to use a woodstove in my tipis in the National Forest closest to home. When I checked again this past fall they had changed the regulations and now allow woodstoves as long as there is a spark arresting feature installed in the stove and/or chimney. My takeaway from this is to always check with the specific local office of the forest you plan to recreate in.
Hope this helps.

robin1970

FNG
Some awesome information on this thread! Using my Big Buddy I have had some absolute disaster condensation issues in my Cabela’s Bighorn at 10,000ft Colorado 2nd season. My wood stove fixed all the issues last year but it’s a hassle. Considering recent Colorado fire restrictions, does anyone here know how this Nu-Way heater is classified for fire restrictions? Looks way safer than a bbq cause it’s enclosed combustion “somewhat.”
I'm considering Nuway as a propane alternative for 8 x 12 off-grid cabin (10' peak) I'm building. The wood stove is a 4Dog Stove's "2 dog". Nuway doesn't seem very efficient. I'll explore other vented options for propane. I wouldn't run wood and propane at same time, but would like both options.

Luked

WKR
I had one of thr NuWay stoves in the Cabelas Alkanak tent I had and I could not get any amount of heat out of it. It all went right out thr pipe. I tried to make mine work but I just could not.
I finally got rid of mine and went to an old warm morning stove. Made a huge difference

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

duck

FNG
Nu-way makes a three burner now the 4300, that one would be what i'd reccomend. I have the 4000 in a 12x12 AO and it worked fine in 10 degrees last week but it wasnt super warm like i was expecting. Burned about 1lb and hr with both tubes g

TFrank

WKR
Nu-way makes a three burner now the 4300, that one would be what i'd reccomend. I have the 4000 in a 12x12 AO and it worked fine in 10 degrees last week but it wasnt super warm like i was expecting. Burned about 1lb and hr with both tubes g? Anyone else check this model out?

Has anyone checked out the 4300?

sndmn11

WKR
Any more feedback on these? @Tips n Tails has one for sale, and they intrigue me for use in our Seek Outside Courthouse. We used the wood stove this year and it got HOT, but we missed having heat in the morning when it was 5deg and we were getting dressed for an hour.

A buddy heater or one of these seems like an instant solution.

Voyageur

WKR
Any more feedback on these? @Tips n Tails has one for sale, and they intrigue me for use in our Seek Outside Courthouse. We used the wood stove this year and it got HOT, but we missed having heat in the morning when it was 5deg and we were getting dressed for an hour.

A buddy heater or one of these seems like an instant solution.
I'll second this question. I've been on the ledge regarding purchasing a Nu-way for over a year now. The scattered reviews of losing the majority of the heat through the pipe always gives me pause though.

I’ve posted on this before in this thread. We just used them in northern WI this weekend, lows around 10 and 4 F.

In a smaller double walled tent (Arctic Oven Igloo and Cabelas 10x10 Instinct), it does fine. The value for us is having comfortable sleeping temps all night for truck camping. For me in the Igloo, I am using my sleeping bag as a blanket and sleeping in base layers on a cot with a foam pad. At those temps you do use a lot of propane.
I think the type and size of the tent matters. I don’t think it makes sense for wall tents or bigger tipis. There is just not enough BTUs.

Similar in size but a bit smaller, my AO igloo works a little better than our instinct, despite both being double walled to capture a temporary dead air space to hold in heat. And I notice a big difference if I have snow piled up on the base of the fly to seal out drafts (we always keep it vented for safety).

For single walled tents it may not be warm enough depending on your use.

Here is an extreme comparison using wood stoves.

sndmn11

WKR
I’ve posted on this before in this thread. We just used them in northern WI this weekend, lows around 10 and 4 F.

In a smaller double walled tent (Arctic Oven Igloo and Cabelas 10x10 Instinct), it does fine. The value for us is having comfortable sleeping temps all night for truck camping. For me in the Igloo, I am using my sleeping bag as a blanket and sleeping in base layers on a cot with a foam pad. At those temps you do use a lot of propane.
I think the type and size of the tent matters. I don’t think it makes sense for wall tents or bigger tipis. There is just not enough BTUs.

Similar in size but a bit smaller, my AO igloo works a little better than our instinct, despite both being double walled to capture a temporary dead air space to hold in heat. And I notice a big difference if I have snow piled up on the base of the fly to seal out drafts (we always keep it vented for safety).

For single walled tents it may not be warm enough depending on your use.

Here is an extreme comparison using wood stoves.

Our purpose wouldn't be for using it all night. We are comfortable cold camping overnight and both sleep great. The main purpose would be for not having to bundle up in the evening eating/cooking, and for having a desire to get out of bed.

There also is value (potentially) in light heat vs a lot of heat. In our former 14x16 and even the 12x14 wall tent it was rare to be too hot due to the position of the stove and volume to heat. It that courthouse the stove is right in the middle. I don't want to much heat getting dressed in the morning that we sweat because that would make a miserable day.

That courthouse is 10x10 with a sloped back/gabled front, as well as a liner on the roof. Does that seem comparable to what you are using?

Does anyone have any experience using the nu way in a cargo trailer? Will it keep it warm or too warm?
They are made for ice fishing shanty’s so I’d think it would work fine for that. You have a ton of heat adjustment with the 2 burners so I wouldn’t worry about too warm.

Our purpose wouldn't be for using it all night. We are comfortable cold camping overnight and both sleep great. The main purpose would be for not having to bundle up in the evening eating/cooking, and for having a desire to get out of bed.

There also is value (potentially) in light heat vs a lot of heat. In our former 14x16 and even the 12x14 wall tent it was rare to be too hot due to the position of the stove and volume to heat. It that courthouse the stove is right in the middle. I don't want to much heat getting dressed in the morning that we sweat because that would make a miserable day.

That courthouse is 10x10 with a sloped back/gabled front, as well as a liner on the roof. Does that seem comparable to what you are using?
Similar size (although your courthouse has a taller peak) and the liner should help some.

Assuming you use the nesting pipe, you will probably need a section or 2 of straight 3 inch pipe to get the pipe to clear the tall stove jack. Put a damper as high as you can to capture radiant heat from the stove pipe.

If you pull the trigger I’d be eager to see how it worked. I’ve looked at the courthouse as a packable cook shack/ far less bulky when packed tent alternative than our current setup.

I don’t comprehend this stove…..some people it works, others it don’t work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people struggle to light a Bic lighter. How you run your stovepipe matters...as does using a quality damper. Some people set up their stove to siphon off heat through the stovepipe to the outside in an effort to prove global warming is legit. Never underestimate how stupid people can be. Many voted for Biden & Fetterman.
stupidpeople.gif

Last edited:

365buckin

FNG
Is anyone using a heat exchanger/reclaimer on their propane stove?

I have seen 3 kinds,
Homemade ones, made from ammo cans.
Inline spark arrestors that are boxes with a slide out grate/screen and some chimney stack ovens with doors.
Rings that clip on the pipe like the link, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Set-Of-1...ates_ad_id=1285218&campaign_id=9383&sharedid=
I have not found a company that makes one specifically for NU-WAY. I would have to think the blocked heat with a damper and an exchanger would make a huge difference. Plus, no worry of creosote build up, not using wood. I've also considered keeping a cast iron skillet, or a camp chef hot pot on top of it all the time to have the extra heat sink to absorb the heat.

Any thoughts or experiences trying to be more efficient?