Nu-Way Propane Heaters

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
I think an angled long elbow on the nuway might help. My pops uses the big shop 4 burner style Mr Heaters in his outfitting camps for 14x16 wall tents. They rarely get above low unless it gets below zero. They run a woodstove in cooktent to dry gear. The new way might be fine above 15 degrees but below that your gonna suffer.

Elkangle

WKR
On a side not what all is everyone packing there nuway stove in ??? I'm looking for a good quality hard plastic or metal typ container that doesn't waist alot of space

I run the single burner Nu-Way stove in my Cabelas 10×14 Instict tent yearly on moose hunts up here in AK during September. Ill run it for 45 minutes or so in the morning and several hours in the evening. Use the bbq sized 20 lb bottle. Ive gotten up to 9 days out of it. As most have mentioned above there are alot of variables that go into how long a bottle will last. I don't run it during the night while sleeping. Use a nesting stove pipe and a damper. I bought one of those cookie sheet like heat deflectors from Alaska tent & tarp to set my stove in. Couple times in heavy rain I'll get rain running down my vent pipe if its not on. The cookie sheet helps collect the water so it doesn't run all over tent floor. I use a 24 gallon Rubbermaid action packer to hold it all in, then throw it in the back of my Argo. Wouldn't change a thing, well....maybe a arctic oven tent, but thats it haha.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
I don’t comprehend this stove…..some people it works, others it don’t work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a nu way on my list for a while now but after finally doing some legit cold camping, I'm sticking to the Mr. Buddy. I have an Arctic Oven 10 so my results may be different than other tents. We had it out a couple weeks ago for two nights. Highs were around -5 and lows were probably -11 and wind was about 20 gusting 35. We had the Mr. Buddy on low the whole time and it probably averaged 45-50 in the tent. Inside of the tent was bone dry. All moisture was pushed through the liner and was a probably 1/16-1/8 sheet of ice on the inside fly by the end of the trip. Even when I use it in the fall and all summer I feel like it pushes all the moisture through the liner and my clothes have no problem drying out. The friend I was with has a 12x18 that he took Bison hunting two winters ago and air temp averaged close to -20 and got much colder at night. He used wood on that trip and talks about how much of a nightmare it was. You can see in the pics how much ice was on the fly when half it started melting while cooking and the second picture is of how thick the ice was after we finished the trip and pulled the fly off.

Attachments

• AO1.jpeg
    AO1.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 152
  • AO2.jpeg
    AO2.jpeg
    491.5 KB · Views: 152
I've had a nu way on my list for a while now but after finally doing some legit cold camping, I'm sticking to the Mr. Buddy. I have an Arctic Oven 10 so my results may be different than other tents. We had it out a couple weeks ago for two nights. Highs were around -5 and lows were probably -11 and wind was about 20 gusting 35. We had the Mr. Buddy on low the whole time and it probably averaged 45-50 in the tent. Inside of the tent was bone dry. All moisture was pushed through the liner and was a probably 1/16-1/8 sheet of ice on the inside fly by the end of the trip. Even when I use it in the fall and all summer I feel like it pushes all the moisture through the liner and my clothes have no problem drying out. The friend I was with has a 12x18 that he took Bison hunting two winters ago and air temp averaged close to -20 and got much colder at night. He used wood on that trip and talks about how much of a nightmare it was. You can see in the pics how much ice was on the fly when half it started melting while cooking and the second picture is of how thick the ice was after we finished the trip and pulled the fly off.
I absolutely agree and I don't know/think there is a tent material better than Vapex when it comes to breathability and insulation. I've never had issues with condensation whatsoever in my AO regardless of how much fuel I burned with my Buddy heaters, or how much water I boiled inside for freeze dried meals, etc. For me, the biggest difference I find with the Nu-Way is that it's WAY better for drying gear/cloths out, and I occasionally like having a flat, hot surface for hot drinks, etc.

Voyageur

WKR
A couple of you have mentioned using the nesting vent pipe with your Nuway stoves. Where can that be obtained?
Thanks.

A couple of you have mentioned using the nesting vent pipe with your Nuway stoves. Where can that be obtained?
Thanks.
Believe you can get a nesting set from kni-co.

You need a 3 inch section that is female on both sides. Alaska Tent and Tarp calls it a stove sleeve.

I don’t comprehend this stove…..some people it works, others it don’t work at all.

From what I gathered from researching on this site, they struggle compared to wood stoves due to lack of BTUs. This makes a bigger difference in larger and/or single walled tents.

We use them in an Arctic Oven and a 10x10 Cabelas instinct, and they are great for the application because they hold heat better than a single wall canvas tent, nylon tipi etc.

Comparison

nebhunt

WKR
Will the Nu-Way heater have problems at altitude above 7000 ft. ? I have used a Buddy Heater at around 9000 and had a little trouble keeping it going. Also is the risk of carbon monoxide still a problem since the Nu-way vents to the outside?

I can’t answer the question regarding functionality over 7000’ but there are no issues with CO2 or condensation.

ShakeDown

WKR
I used my 3,500 in a Seek Redcliff at 8,200 in single digits with no issues. Ran a single burner on medium all night. Toasty warm.

0C3DBF81-29C4-4F8C-B6D1-F975635757C4.jpeg

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
Some awesome information on this thread! Using my Big Buddy I have had some absolute disaster condensation issues in my Cabela’s Bighorn at 10,000ft Colorado 2nd season. My wood stove fixed all the issues last year but it’s a hassle. Considering recent Colorado fire restrictions, does anyone here know how this Nu-Way heater is classified for fire restrictions? Looks way safer than a bbq cause it’s enclosed combustion “somewhat.”