Nu-Way propane stove experience?

Looking for any and all, good, bad , and ugly, experiences with the Nu-Way propane stoves. I’m particularly interested in the model 4000 for heating a base camp shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looking for any and all, good, bad , and ugly, experiences with the Nu-Way propane stoves. I’m particularly interested in the model 4000 for heating a base camp shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Where's Bruce? has one he runs in a Kodiak canvas tent. I think he's had his for a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Josey D

FNG
Have a had a 2000 or 3000 (will look) for quite a few years now & never had any issues. Purchased a composite propane tank for it as well. If the tanks weren't so expensive I would leave one over on the rock, but have shipped the tank cargo once or twice & the last few times just have the wife take the truck & ferry over & bring it along. A few years back we were sitting in either Sehawks office or Andrews talking to a local guide & he said he was using a better one the nu way but for the life of me I can't remember the mfg he was talking about. I've searched once or twice but haven't come up with anything. Let me know if you have any specific questions. We use a AO10x10 so one burner is plenty.

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
September of 2020 I used a custom-built propane stove to heat my 12-man tipi (with liner). It was a double burner propane stove (20,000 BTU each burner) and we never used the second burner. We were on an exposed ridge top and in several decades of hunting moose in Alaska every year it was about as cold as any September I can remember save one or two.

The stove I used was designed with dual baffles and heat exchanger tubes with a forced-air fan. I have no experience with the NuWay stove personally, but the design utilizes only a single baffle so more of the heat generated at the burner will be wasted up the stove pipe and vented outside.

We were on the ridge top for 14 days, three of which were nasty weather stuck-in-the-tipi days with the stove going all day. We used two 17# fiberglass bottles of propane and another 5-6# of propane from a third. On non-weather days we'd run the stove for about 45 minutes to an hour in the morning and about 1 1/2 hours during toddy time and dinner time in the evening. With a less efficient stove and similar usage patterns the amount of propane used might be more.

Wood stoves are great and the beauty of using good dry wood if readily available reduces the amount of bulk and weight you have to transport to your hunting location. I own a wood stove and believe in them. But if wood is hard to come by propane is a very nice alternative.

We went to the expense of flying in via Super Cub the propane system because we're above tree line and hauling dead trees up hill as much as half of a mile gets old really fast. If your weight budget and cubic inch budget can accommodate a propane system it's the cadillac way to go. Instant heat, no screwing around with cutting, splitting, and lighting wood, infinite heat level adjustability, etc.
2cJE10Q.jpg

XpNwolt.jpg

Last edited:

TFrank

WKR
Following. I have had one in my bookmarks for over a year. My buddy used one in a Kodiak canvas last December. He had nothing but good things to report, but I will have to ask him about specifics again.

mtbn

FNG
Interesting stove John. Glad to hear it's working out for you. Your post says 12 man tipi. No more 16 man? Don't suppose your stove builder would consider another one?
Bob

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
John, you know how to roll. If you are going to pay for a gear flight, you are going to be comfortable!

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Bob, I still have my 16-man but last year I used my friend Mike's 12-man. For only two people I liked the size so much that I have now bought a 12-man tipi for myself to go along with the 16-man. I have invited Mike (stove builder) to join into this conversation since he's the one I am urging to build an improved titanium single burner version of the prototype I used last year.

Steve, enduring discomfort as a personal virtue is highly overrated. I'm sort of like W.C. Fields commenting about the hardship he experienced on safari. "Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water."

Last edited:

elijah

FNG
What
September of 2020 I used a custom-built propane stove to heat my 12-man tipi (with liner). It was a double burner propane stove (20,000 BTU each burner) and we never used the second burner. We were on an exposed ridge top and in several decades of hunting moose in Alaska every year it was about as cold as any September I can remember save one or two.

The stove I used was designed with dual baffles and heat exchanger tubes with a forced-air fan. I have no experience with the NuWay stove personally, but the design utilizes only a single baffle so more of the heat generated at the burner will be wasted up the stove pipe and vented outside.

We were on the ridge top for 14 days, three of which were nasty weather stuck-in-the-tipi days with the stove going all day. We used two 17# fiberglass bottles of propane and another 5-6# of propane from a third. On non-weather days we'd run the stove for about 45 minutes to an hour in the morning and about 1 1/2 hours during toddy time and dinner time in the evening. With a less efficient stove and similar usage patterns the amount of propane used might be more.

Wood stoves are great and the beauty of using good dry wood if readily available reduces the amount of bulk and weight you have to transport to your hunting location. I own a wood stove and believe in them. But if wood is hard to come by propane is a very nice alternative.

We went to the expense of flying in via Super Cub the propane system because we're above tree line and hauling dead trees up hill as much as half of a mile gets old really fast. If your weight budget and cubic inch budget can accommodate a propane system it's the cadillac way to go. Instant heat, no screwing around with cutting, splitting, and lighting wood, infinite heat level adjustability, etc.
2cJE10Q.jpg
That’s pretty slick! What’s the ballpark weight on your setup?

AK troutbum,

I used a Nu-way stove in 19 for a north Brooks caribou hunt. My buddy and me were not that impressed as a lot of heat is sent out the vent pipe and it burns a lot of fuel to have more heat output. I sent him a message to see if he got rid of it and what series it was. He’s in Anchorage and would let you see it I bet or bet he would sell it.

Corey

I've used one for years. They are basically a vented propane BBQ grill in a box. Super simple. Nothing really to report. Expensive, but much safer, drier, and more fuel efficient than a Buddy Heater or wood stove.

For an AO tent, I never have to use more than one burner. The second one will cook you out down to well below freezing. A 20 lb propane bottle gets a crew through a week long moose camp easy enough.

2cJE10Q.jpg

XpNwolt.jpg
John, what powers the blower?

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
Elijah, each 17# capacity propane fiberglass tank weighs 26# full. Titanium stove pipe and stove were right at 11#. With single burner titanium stove the weight will drop from 11# to 7.5-8#.

teamkabob, the blower is powered by a storage battery like you would use to charge a cell phone. The cord is USB to mini USB. Mine lasted for 12 days with our usage before needing to be replaced with a fresh one.

Elkangle

WKR
I have the nu-way stove & AO tent combo and love it...I've used it on a variety of trips now and the comfort and ease of use can't really be beat in my mind..its hot enough to cook steaks on and keep your coffee warm..nobody has felt funky from fumes...A ten day trip with a 20# tank in Idaho this year was right on the edge..so I moved up to a 40# for two weeks trips

I also use a cookie sheet underneath it to save my floor & reflect heat.. AO sells one I believe

Expensive but worth it

Elkangle

WKR
Elijah, each 17# capacity propane fiberglass tank weighs 26# full. Titanium stove pipe and stove were right at 11#. With single burner titanium stove the weight will drop from 11# to 7.5-8#.

teamkabob, the blower is powered by a storage battery like you would use to charge a cell phone. The cord is USB to mini USB. Mine lasted for 12 days with our usage before needing to be replaced with a fresh one.

Are these for sale ?

Elkangle

WKR
Elkangle, I'll bump Mike (stove maker) again to see if he'll chime in.

Thanks, depending on specs I'd definitely be interested in one...I'm buy a 2nd camp set up over the next year or two so would love to get a more versatile stove option