Nu-way propane stove for a wall tent

Mosby

WKR
Cylinder Stove makes an aftermarket pellet feeder for their stoves.

My wood stove is a cylinder stove, so thats perfect. Thanks.

bbrown

WKR
I had a chance to test it out finally. I was kind of disappointed. Outside temp was 43 degrees and after an hour on full blast, the inside temp was only 58 degrees. I expected to get more heat out of it than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you running a damper? I picked mine up second hand and he had it set up with double wall pipe and a damper right at the stove. Most of the heat was wasted on the double wall plus I thought the damper might actually heat the tent better if it was positioned higher up. I rerigged it with the nesting sections of single wall stove pipe and set the damper around 4-5’ above the stove and it really helped use the heat more efficiently. Still not as good as wood I don’t think but much less work or fuss.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I had a chance to test it out finally. I was kind of disappointed. Outside temp was 43 degrees and after an hour on full blast, the inside temp was only 58 degrees. I expected to get more heat out of it than that.

I built a heat exchanger for mine woke up to -17 in elk camp last year and it was 68 in my 16x24 walltent. The nuway stoves are great as long as you use something to keep all the heat from getting away up the stove pipe.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
f469a3e740dcc31ece7d90c596353c55.jpg

Yes I installed a damper. I’m going to play around with dampening it down tonight and see if I can tell any difference. If not, what kind of heat exchanger are we talking about? I agree, most of the heat probably goes right up the chimney pipe.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Built mine out of a large military ammo box the stove heat vents up into it hits a plate about 4 inches up has to flow forward then around some steel pipes welded through the ammo box then vents up into the stove pipe in the front of the stove. The first plate the heat hits cooks our coffee and the exchanger gets hot enough to glow on the sides. My old man thinks he has a pic I’ll post it up if he does.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
As we were building it stove pipe exits top left enters bottom right used 1.25 inch pipes running through it from left to right as it sits in the picture. All he has of the final product is a video that won’t load to the forum.

Attachments

• E4BC394A-0C09-4423-9EBD-E457B1096698.jpeg
    E4BC394A-0C09-4423-9EBD-E457B1096698.jpeg
    357.6 KB · Views: 164

Brendan

WKR
Is your stove going full bore? In my 10x14 it was literally boxers and t-shirt temps with temps in the low 30's outside. Stove is the 3500 and I'd need to turn it down after a while.

Granted, that's a Kodiak canvas with a floor, so you might be getting a lot more airflow with a wall tent.

sneaky

"DADDY"
2 years ago, I saw a pellet stove for wall tents at the Portland show that someone had just started making. I really liked the pellet stove idea. Pellets are easy to find, relatively low cost and generate a nice amount of heat.
I am planning on going to the show again this coming year and if they are still selling that stove, I might try one.
Was it one of the Riley pellet stoves? Cool design, but I'm not a fan of them building them out of galvanized steel.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Could be one of the Big Timber pellet stoves, they are made in the PNW.

Mosby

WKR
Was it one of the Riley pellet stoves? Cool design, but I'm not a fan of them building them out of galvanized steel.

I don't remember the name but I think you must be right, because it was made out of galvanized steel.

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
I used a nu-way in a 12x12 last year when it was getting into the 20’s at night. It worked but i was disappointed at the heat output.
513e64ab5e9e1704e633d15299d0c564.jpg

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Is your stove going full bore? In my 10x14 it was literally boxers and t-shirt temps with temps in the low 30's outside. Stove is the 3500 and I'd need to turn it down after a while.

Granted, that's a Kodiak canvas with a floor, so you might be getting a lot more airflow with a wall tent.

Yes it was going full blast with both burners. I have a floor in my tent as well. Did a quick calculation and your tent is about 700 sq ft. Mine is about 1120 sq ft. I tried to use the stove with the damper closed off and it did make quite a difference. It threw off a lot more heat. I still think it struggles with heating a tent this large. It takes 30-60 minutes until the inside of the tent is decently warmer than the outside air. Probably perfect for a 10x12 or 12x14. I’m going to keep experimenting with it and see if I can work something out to maximize the heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I used a nu-way in a 12x12 last year when it was getting into the 20’s at night. It worked but i was disappointed at the heat output.
513e64ab5e9e1704e633d15299d0c564.jpg

Why the split stove pipe? Better heating?

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Why the split stove pipe? Better heating?

I had heard that heat goes up the pipe so I split it and put the dampener on top of the split to try and get more heat.
e059e3a58722abae17c086e7976fc842.jpg

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I had heard that heat goes up the pipe so I split it and put the dampener on top of the split to try and get more heat.
e059e3a58722abae17c086e7976fc842.jpg

And you were still disappointed in the heat output? What model stove? I bought the biggest one, the 4000.

Calcoyote

FNG
A couple of thoughts about the NuWay stove.

I have never tried it in my 12x14 Davis wall tent but I have used it in my 12x12 Cabelas Alaknak. The reason why some say it does not heat very much and others say it heats GREAT is contained in one word: DAMPER. I used it with no damper in Central Oregon in the Metolius unit in October. I had no damper and all the heat went straight up through the stove pipe. A damper makes a HUGE difference.

It is quick and easy to setup and not a fuel hog.

One point to consider: Most canvas wall tents come with either a 5" or 6" stove jack. The opening coming coming out of the Nu Way is only a 3". In rainy weather, a 3" pipe going up through a 6" stove jack will let in a LOT of rain. Kni-Co makes adapters to take go from 3"to 4" and then 4"to 5". This will fit better in the stove jack and not let in as much rain.

Also, another cool thing about the Nu Way is you do not need a bunch of stove pipe to go up 10-12 feet like a wood stove. A couple of feet above the stove jack is all that is needed.

Final word: My Four Dog wood stove will put out more heat and is better for the really cold stuff, but if I am in my 12x12 and the temps are only going down to the mid twenties the Nu Way is perfect.

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
A couple of thoughts about the NuWay stove.

I have never tried it in my 12x14 Davis wall tent but I have used it in my 12x12 Cabelas Alaknak. The reason why some say it does not heat very much and others say it heats GREAT is contained in one word: DAMPER. I used it with no damper in Central Oregon in the Metolius unit in October. I had no damper and all the heat went straight up through the stove pipe. A damper makes a HUGE difference.

It is quick and easy to setup and not a fuel hog.

One point to consider: Most canvas wall tents come with either a 5" or 6" stove jack. The opening coming coming out of the Nu Way is only a 3". In rainy weather, a 3" pipe going up through a 6" stove jack will let in a LOT of rain. Kni-Co makes adapters to take go from 3"to 4" and then 4"to 5". This will fit better in the stove jack and not let in as much rain.

Also, another cool thing about the Nu Way is you do not need a bunch of stove pipe to go up 10-12 feet like a wood stove. A couple of feet above the stove jack is all that is needed.

Final word: My Four Dog wood stove will put out more heat and is better for the really cold stuff, but if I am in my 12x12 and the temps are only going down to the mid twenties the Nu Way is perfect.

I do have to say I was using the damper (closed all the way) but still not satisfied. Is there anything special with the damper that I’m missing? I thought with the dual pipes and damper above I’d be getting the best possible heat output but... it sure didn’t seem that way.

I could get it decent in the tent but I needed to have it wife open and that burns a ton of propane.