Nu-way propane stove for a wall tent

Calcoyote

FNG
I do have to say I was using the damper (closed all the way) but still not satisfied. Is there anything special with the damper that I’m missing? I thought with the dual pipes and damper above I’d be getting the best possible heat output but... it sure didn’t seem that way.

I could get it decent in the tent but I needed to have it wife open and that burns a ton of propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of temps were you using it in?

The NuWay is NOT a wood stove. A full size woodstove puts out 80k BTUs per hour verses my Nuway which only puts out 28k. I am talking about fall/late fall hunting with evening temps down in the low 30s to mid 20s. It looks like you are from Minnesota. Your temps in the dead of winter are uhhhh, well, very cold.

With regard to the damper you want to put it up as high on the stove pipe as you can (just a few inches below the tent's stove jack) . That kind of high placement will allow for all of the surface area of the stove pipe below the damper to radiate heat. If you put the damper down just above the stove, you will only have the bearing surface of the stove to radiate the heat. That will make a big difference. Also, using the increaser that I spoke about in my previous post will mean that there is more bearing surface of the stove pipe. My setup is as follows:

3" to 4" increaser coming out of the stove and then connect the 4 inch end of the increaser to a 4 inch stack robber which gives you more bearing surface. You then place the damper ABOVE the stack robber just a couple of inches below the tent's stove jack.

I am not real good at explaining stuff. I hope that makes sense.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
I bought a digital laser thermometer from amazon. I have a damper and it is high up in the stove pipe. I’m going to do some comparisons and see what kind of temp readings the stove puts off with the damper open, partly closed and mostly closed off. I also blocked off the extra space around the stove pipe jack with fiberglass insulation until I can get a stove pipe reducer jack. I don’t have everything set up right now but I hope to do it in the near future and I’ll post my findings.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Since building the heat exchanger I’ll never go back to wood in my 16x24 walltent, if it’s to cold to use the nuway it’s to cold to use the tent. -17 in my Colorado elk camp last year and I was toasty all night the year before with just a damper I froze in the teens.

Calcoyote

FNG
Since building the heat exchanger I’ll never go back to wood in my 16x24 walltent, if it’s to cold to use the nuway it’s to cold to use the tent. -17 in my Colorado elk camp last year and I was toasty all night the year before with just a damper I froze in the teens.

Could you post a photo of your stove with the heat exchanger on it? I would like to see what your set up looks like in comparison to mine.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I can but will be awhile it’s packed away in storage and I don’t go on days off for a couple of weeks. I do have a video of it running I can text or email but the site won’t let me post it.

Calcoyote

FNG
I can but will be awhile it’s packed away in storage and I don’t go on days off for a couple of weeks. I do have a video of it running I can text or email but the site won’t let me post it.

No problem. I will send you a Private Message with a phone number to text it to.

TreyPound

FNG
i have the big one.. the 4000... its a great stove in wet areas... i put a stove jack into the vestibule of the 8 man cabelias guide tent, and keeps things dry and tent warm... my ONLY issue with the 4000 ... is you burn a LOT of propane... i dont think a guy could pack enough for a long hunt in BAD weather...

i also use it in the winter in my camper at -30/-40 it heats it well but will burn a 20lb bottle in 16 hours..

i took it for a week on the hual road fly in the kids and i did... warm days cold nights, two 20lbs ( fiberglass tanks) JUST lasted the duration.

but to answer your questions.. nice dry heat, even like a wood stove, but you dont have to put a log in the fire. I was going to take it to the wall tent moose camp this year but scored on a small oil drip and used it.

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of temps were you using it in?

The NuWay is NOT a wood stove. A full size woodstove puts out 80k BTUs per hour verses my Nuway which only puts out 28k. I am talking about fall/late fall hunting with evening temps down in the low 30s to mid 20s. It looks like you are from Minnesota. Your temps in the dead of winter are uhhhh, well, very cold.

With regard to the damper you want to put it up as high on the stove pipe as you can (just a few inches below the tent's stove jack) . That kind of high placement will allow for all of the surface area of the stove pipe below the damper to radiate heat. If you put the damper down just above the stove, you will only have the bearing surface of the stove to radiate the heat. That will make a big difference. Also, using the increaser that I spoke about in my previous post will mean that there is more bearing surface of the stove pipe. My setup is as follows:

3" to 4" increaser coming out of the stove and then connect the 4 inch end of the increaser to a 4 inch stack robber which gives you more bearing surface. You then place the damper ABOVE the stack robber just a couple of inches below the tent's stove jack.

I am not real good at explaining stuff. I hope that makes sense.

Mid 20’s at night.

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Finally did some testing. I placed the damper high up in the stove pipe. I then ran the stove for 10 minutes on full high with the damper wide open. I took some temp readings and then shut the stove down. After it cooled off, I did the same thing but with the damper fully closed. The heat readings were definitely higher with the damper closed.

Damper open:
Side 809
Front door 513
Damper 132

Damper closed:
Side 951
Front door 750
Damper 171

I’d like to see any heat exchanger pictures for more ideas if anyone has them.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
2 years ago, I saw a pellet stove for wall tents at the Portland show that someone had just started making. I really liked the pellet stove idea. Pellets are easy to find, relatively low cost and generate a nice amount of heat.
I am planning on going to the show again this coming year and if they are still selling that stove, I might try one.

Bravo Tents was who had the pellet stoves at Portland. They have them available

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
I dont like the idea of packing pellets in when you can take chainsaw and cut as much wood as possible. But I have hunted places with no trees that pellets would have been much smarter. PLUS my wife would love them pellets at 3 o'clock in the morning

Is this stove vented? looks like it is- thats great. I have severe apprehension about any appliance in a tent that is non vented, and have seen many use one of the catalytic "buddy" type heaters. A CO detector would be worth its weight in gold if you go this route, but doubt anyone does

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is this stove vented? looks like it is- thats great. I have severe apprehension about any appliance in a tent that is non vented, and have seen many use one of the catalytic "buddy" type heaters. A CO detector would be worth its weight in gold if you go this route, but doubt anyone does
Most guys I know who use one use a CO detector in their tent or camper. It's cheap insurance

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
That’s why I bought it. The stove pipe is a nice addition. I’ll run a detector in the tent when I use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HuskyRob

FNG
Any updates to using the NuWay stove during the season? I have a Four Dog in a 12x20 and it does a great job but would like to look at something that I wouldn't have to stoke during the night.

Lonald

FNG
I had a Big Buddy heater in my 14x16 Wall Tent and it worked fine above freezing temperatures for hanging out with normal clothing, but below 30 degrees you didn't stay out of the sleeping bag too much without a coat on and your boots. The main problem was those damn Aspens burn up in about an hour or so in my large wood-burning stove. They were like balsa wood. Who is going to keep getting up every hour or two to refill the stove. This year I am going to try to use those compressed wood-bricks from Tractor Supply or other similar big box store. I think putting in about 6-8 bricks right around bedtime ought to last for about 4-6 hours. At least that is what I am going to try this year. Finding some hardwoods near camp that isn't too seasoned and split would be better along with a couple of wood-bricks. But really I don't like having to haul that much propane and dealing with the altitude issues and the oxygen sensors. The Nu-way propane is certainly an idea, but so are pellet burning stoves. Frankly, I don't want to get a new stove and damn-it I already have a stove. LOL!
As you get older you’ll get up more often lol. I can keep my stove going all night lol

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Update. Pretty disappointed in the nu-way stove. It might work ok for a smaller tent but for the 14x16, it was not enough. I think most of the heat goes up the stove pipe. I installed heat exchangers and ran it with the damper mostly closed. Had to run an additional big buddy heater to warm the tent up satisfactorily. Sold the whole setup when I got home from my trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk