Numb toe

Anybody ever experience digitalgia paresthetica aka Christmas Toe(s)? I spent the last 30 days hiking around Idaho, Wyoming, and New Mexico chasing deer and elk.

In which case after a couple successful deer hunts in Idaho my right big toe has become numb. Pack was maxed out on both occasions with one solo hunt had me carrying a whole quartered up deer & fleshed head out.

Not painful at all just a numb sensation when rubbed against another toe. I was curious if anybody else has experienced this.

Wingnutty

FNG
Oh yeah I have. Got it from hunting in -15F conditions over multiple days where my gators got wet and froze solid putting pressure on the top of foot. Also my boots contributed to it also I believe. Didn’t realize it while hunting but each night my big toe/top of foot was kinda numb and felt weird when it rubbed on the covers. Persisted after hunting and I got a bit worried.

Actually ended up not being a huge issue for me. Didn’t hurt or cause me problems just a bit concerning and strange was all. Honestly took like 6-12 months to fully go away. Really only noticed it at night when not wearing socks or shoes.

Happens to me also, not sure if it’s just the boots or the heavy pack or what. Last year sensation came back in a couple months.

I have had it goin back to .mil days. As others mentioned, it can take months to resolve but you should be fine. The only caveat to that advice is if you suffer from TMB - too many birthdays - or have had an injury to your spine where some ind of stenosis or impingement could be an issue you have to be careful and maybe get checked oit. Nerve damage can become irreversible if left too long. That can lead to drop foot and atrophy issues that are hard to fix.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Yea usually goes numb in Sept and get feeling back around Feb. I don’t think it’s boots, very common in anyone that covers a lot of miles with weight.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I got that last year in both big toes, took a couple of months for it to fully go away. I think mine is caused in part by tightening my boots too much and walking off my big toe too much.

feanor

WKR
I used to get it more often when hiking and packing, but I changed insoles and I think something there helped. I can’t recall the last time it happened. Not lacing up as tight on the lower boot will help too maybe.

ODB

WKR
I got that last year in both big toes, took a couple of months for it to fully go away. I think mine is caused in part by tightening my boots too much and walking off my big toe too much.

When I was young I thought a tight boot “kept” the heat in. I always had cold/numb toes. Now at the start of a hike/hunt, the laces from the ankle down stay loose and I only tighten from the ankle up. After my feet warm up, I readjust and barely snug the front so my foot doesn’t slide. I don’t have those issues any more.

Fell through the ice on a river in Alaska in single digit temps up to my chest on day 3 of my hunt. Everything dried but my boots, so I had to hunt in them for another 4 days. My toes were numb for 4 months afterward. Great trip though

Tod osier

WKR
Anybody ever experience digitalgia paresthetica aka Christmas Toe(s)? I spent the last 30 days hiking around Idaho, Wyoming, and New Mexico chasing deer and elk.

In which case after a couple successful deer hunts in Idaho my right big toe has become numb. Pack was maxed out on both occasions with one solo hunt had me carrying a whole quartered up deer & fleshed head out.

Not painful at all just a numb sensation when rubbed against another toe. I was curious if anybody else has experienced this.

Yes, in the past from packing elk.

Here is another thread I remember.

I have had that happen a couple times after grueling Nov elk hunts but only gotten it with one pair of boots. Oddly enough, everything about my feet feel better in those particular boots than my other options after a lot of steep miles other than the fact my big toes are numb for months afterward.. Even calluses/hot spots on big toes are reduced comparatively.

tuffcity

WKR
Worst I had it took about a year to come back. Started after a very heavy pack out.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
After I switched to boots with a larger toe box I have seen an improvement in this. The previous brand I was using caused me to have 3 of my smaller toes numb for about 3 months after a long hunting season in MT.

Now, those same toes will be numb (lesser though) for just a few weeks.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
When I was young I thought a tight boot “kept” the heat in. I always had cold/numb toes. Now at the start of a hike/hunt, the laces from the ankle down stay loose and I only tighten from the ankle up. After my feet warm up, I readjust and barely snug the front so my foot doesn’t slide. I don’t have those issues any more.

I'll have to try out the different lacing technique. I spend the majority of the summer barefoot playing beach volleyball, so I'm sure my body hates when I tighten my boots up. I also switched to Altra trail runner this fall and am loving the wide toe box.

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I experienced the same thing after a heavy pack and many miles last season. It cleared up after 10-12 months.

Wyobow1

FNG
I had this same issue after a sheep hunt in WY. I had my big toes taped in leukotape for several days (which helped with blisters) but I had the numb toes for several months. The issue did eventually resolve.

I'll have to try out the different lacing technique. I spend the majority of the summer barefoot playing beach volleyball, so I'm sure my body hates when I tighten my boots up. I also switched to Altra trail runner this fall and am loving the wide toe box.
We call it " beach feet".I know exactly what you're talking about

Rt_nevada

FNG
I’ve had that happen and it resolved itself after a few months. Like you said, it wasn’t painful but there was a point where I thought my toe was going to be numb forever haha