Nunatak Skaha

The 7d Robic was a great way to go. It’s not too thin where I think I’m going to rip it easily, but it’s also very very water resistant. I’ve ran water over my sleeve for a minute and it just beads up and runs off the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7d robic seams reasonably tough for being 7d but I could see it getting torn up if wearing while snowboarding. I’m guessing your snowboarding includes more hiking and standing than my resort snowboarding, but I’d shred it pretty quick taking spills at the resorts.

7d robic seams reasonably tough for being 7d but I could see it getting torn up if wearing while snowboarding. I’m guessing your snowboarding includes more hiking and standing than my resort snowboarding, but I’d shred it pretty quick taking spills at the resorts.

Yeah I should have prefaced that with what type of riding. I don’t mean resort/heli/sled shredding. 90% of the riding I do is splitboarding and climbing alpine faces here in Alaska. For non motorized adventures, where you are wearing your breathable ‘action suit’ for the majority of the time and then need to layer up while on top of a line or as emergency layers if you spend a night out.
These Nunatak pieces really suit that sort of use, along with non motorized mountain hunts of course.
If your on IG, you can check out some adventures up here. My same username/handle as used here on Rokslide.

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
I went with a custom 15d outer and 10d inner fabric. I spoke with them about a slightly
tougher fabric and he had some in stock. Very helpful suggestions when I told him there might a little bushwhacking while backcountry fly fishing.

mtnkid85

WKR
I ordered a pair of the pants last year and just got to hunt in them this year... Im in love!
Holy smokes why did I wait so long to get insulated bottoms!?
Jan custom sized them to a 32 for me, which fit perfectly but after wearing them I think the standard 34 would have worked for my use just as well, they have no stretch. 20" Zippers worked well for winter weight boots with gaiters on, its doable with AT boots but you need to sit down and be careful. The 2.5oz insulation seemed to be plenty with my typical long underwear, Kuiu Attacks layering.
They are a very basic pattern/fit but are uber light and oh-so-cozy warm.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've owned the 2.5 Skaha jacket for a couple of years now, it definitely provides a lot more insulation that I would had originally thought. Bought a pair of 2.5 pants that have been super handy glassing.

Just acquired a 3.6 Skaha for late season. Went with a full zip this time, added a little extra length- all pieces in Robic.

Good stuff!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had the chance to get out several different snowshoe and bc skit trips with the 3.6 Skaha jacket and conclude it's really warm for it's weight (as is the 2.5). I think the Robic fabric enhances warmth as it's pretty windproof; also very water resistant.

tdot

WKR
I've had the chance to get out several different snowshoe and bc skit trips with the 3.6 Skaha jacket and conclude it's really warm for it's weight (as is the 2.5). I think the Robic fabric enhances warmth as it's pretty windproof; also very water resistant.

Hows the breathability on the Robic? I'm considering the Robic for a Nunatak quilt and pants, but prefer breathability over waterproofing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say breathability is fair, definitely more breathable fabrics out there

for a quilt he'll often do some Robic at the foot and at the top of the quilt- areas where you are most apt to be in contact with moisture, and then a more breathable fabric for most of the quilt

for the pants I use mine strictly for static stuff, I think they would be too warm to move in personally- so Robic is the perfect choice for static use

if you envision using them on the move, he offers more breathable fabrics for the pants too

Hows the breathability on the Robic? I'm considering the Robic for a Nunatak quilt and pants, but prefer breathability over waterproofing.

Robic isn’t particularly breathable. I went robic on pants and jacket for static use but 10d nylon on my apex sleeping bag for breathability.

I've been debating one of these or the kifaru for awhile, I went to make an order for the nunatak a few days ago. They're website says they are not taking orders for at least a few months, FYI.

ozyclint

WKR
wow, a few months! that tells me there is plenty of demand for gear that you can tailor to your needs. glad i placed my order before Christmas. got an email last week saying my PCT (formerly skaha) jacket and pants are ready to sew. can't wait to try them in NZ.

tdot

WKR
It sounded like he lost an employee over Christmas. He was closed for orders for a few weeks over the xmas holidays, and then when he reopened for orders, it was only for a few days. I was lucky and got an order in.

bradb

WKR
I thought he always closed orders around xmas.

The pants and jacket he made me are good!

It looks like he's back open for business by the looks of his website. I doubt they are that busy right now with the pandemic ongoing. Might actually be a good time to order from a cottage maker.