Nunatak Skaha

ohoopee

WKR
I took my Nunatak Skaha for a four day trip backcountry trip this week. Just have to say
its such a badass piece of gear. Lightweight and packs so small. Love the kangaroo pocket
for quick hand warmth and the hood is just right.

ljalberta

WKR
I’m waiting for Jan to begin taking orders again to get my order in. I’m thinking I’ll do the 5oz torso and 3.6 oz arms and hood. Undecided on the full zip or kangaroo pocket as well as additional torso/arm length. Mind sharing the specs and any picture of yours? And any thoughts on the torso and sleeve length?

I have the PCT in 3.5 body, 2.5 sleeves. I measured my arms and actually had him take an inch off and it worked well. If ordering again I’d add an inch to hem.

Happy for Jan having more work than he knows what to do with but maybe like a hunting unit, shoulda avoided talking about it on the internets😁 I bet the hunting crowd is just a small portion of his work though.

Last edited:
OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
Skaha Pullover - Details : Size:Medium/Large
Back Length: Add 4"
Sleeve Length: No Extra Length
Climashield APEX Level: 3.6 oz/yd in body - 2.5 oz/yd for sleeves and hood
Shell Fabric: Sage Green Quantum Ripstop 15d - Light, strong, breathable
Liner Fabric: Orange Quantum Ripstop 15d - Light, strong, breathable
Integrated Hood and Collar Choices:Insulated & Integrated Hood
Front Pocket: Add Hand Warmer Pocket (+$20)
Interior Zippered Chest Pocket: Left/Right Inside Zippered Chest Pockets
Sleeve End Finish: Plain Open Type Sleeve Finish

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
Changed inner lining color to tan color. The extra 4" length keeps wind off my back when Im sitting. I went with the thinner insulation so I could use it more often. I can just throw on a puffy vest when its really cold. My Kifaru LPP was just to bulky and I didn't use it a lot.

ljalberta

WKR
Right on. Mind if I ask your height and weight? I’m split between ordering the medium and the medium/large. I almost decided to go with the Kifaru LPP as its on sale, but my issue is I want a real warm lightweight jacket. Had a week of snow and temps hit -10*C the last week of Aug last year. Was a wee bit chilly.

PCT Jacket - Size: Large
Back Length: No Extra Length
Sleeve Length: No Extra Length
Climashield APEX Level: 3.6 oz/yd in body - 2.5 oz/yd for sleeves and hood
Shell Fabric: Grey Robic Weatherproof 7d - Moisture protection at lowest weight
Liner Fabric: Black 10d - Lightest, most Breathable
Integrated Hood and Collar Choices: Insulated & Integrated Hood
Zippered Exterior Pockets: Add 2 Lower Exterior Pockets with Zipper Closure
Interior Zippered Chest Pocket: None
Sleeve End Finish: Lycra stretch banding, fixed length.

I’m 5’10” 180 (170 by end of hunting season).

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
5'11 and 177. Probably with those temps the Kifaru on sale might be the better option unless you just want more customization in the fit and fabric choices. Both jackets use Apex and both are available in a 20d fabric if im not mistaken. I believe the Kifaru is comes standard with 3oz apex and the Skaha has 5oz option.

I have had both. The Kifaru was a great jacket and I would still have it but for the packability and being warmer than I needed most of the time. The 50d reinforcement fabric and 20d body ( I believe) fabric are the only weight penalties. Both are worth the weight penalty if you need that bombproof exterior.

ozyclint

WKR
I'm really interested in a skaha. What would you rate its comfort rating at in Celsius with a base layer and midweight soft shell underneath, with low activity levels; Glassing, camp living? I'm talking 3.6oz insulation.

I know that it's subjective but your opinion is valued.

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
2,5 c with a wool t-shirt. I would head backcountry low activity with my skaha in that temp range. I purchased my low activity Skaha with .5 C weather in mind.

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
Pics. I threw in a couple items for size reference.

Attachments

• skaha 2.jpg
    skaha 2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 253
  • skaha.jpeg
    skaha.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 256

ozyclint

WKR
I'm thinking I would have the roo pouch a tad smaller and moved up to the bottom of the zip. I want to be able to put a pack on without the waist belt hindering access to the pouch.

With the skaha pants I would get a long side zip up to upper thigh with 3 sliders like a kifaru centerzip slick bag. That way I could vent the thigh even with gaiters on over the top.
A zip that long would allow easy access over boots too

How do you like the unfinished open cuffs? I just received my PCT jacket and the Lycra banding around the cuffs is really tight and abrasive. Considering having it removed, but not sure I’d be happy with an open cuff.
Pics. I threw in a couple items for size reference.

e640faf5ec3bf6d5cca9ec2a3bdb44ae.jpg

I have my PCT pullover and pants now. Minimal designs, but definitely light and warm! Went with full zip pants in order to use them in winter with snowboard/ski boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ohoopee

ohoopee

WKR
Cool, just saw a pair of the down pants on eBay. I love the kangaroo pocket on their jackets.

ozyclint

WKR
i ordered a PCT jacket and pants before they closed for christmas. had the jacket 4" longer and the roo pocket moved up so i can use it with a pack on. with the pants i went with 20" zippers. Jan assured me that 20" zips will be fine for hiking boots. i went with 3.6 oz apex all round.

B_Reynolds_AK - looks sweet. what insulation level did you go with?

i ordered a PCT jacket and pants before they closed for christmas. had the jacket 4" longer and the roo pocket moved up so i can use it with a pack on. with the pants i went with 20" zippers. Jan assured me that 20" zips will be fine for hiking boots. i went with 3.6 oz apex all round.

B_Reynolds_AK - looks sweet. what insulation level did you go with?

I am 5'6 and 135 lbs. Small PCT jacket and 30" waist pants and 26" inseam.
I went with 2.5 in the sleeves and hood and 3.6 in the body. Pants are 2.5.
Sizing I only added one inch to the body and kept the sleeves standard length.
If I was to do it again, I would actually have the sleeves made an inch longer. The pocket is fine for me. It would be nice to have a popper on each side of the kangaroo pocket to keep it just slightly more closed when it is snowing, otherwise snow can fall right in.

ozyclint

WKR
i'm 5'10" and 165lbs so i went for a M/L. on their chart they say the sleeve length on actual jacket is 36" but my measured sleeve is 30". i'm getting the sleeve 1" shorter.

i went for the 7D robic for the outer. looks like that's what you got? what do you think of it?

The 7d Robic was a great way to go. It’s not too thin where I think I’m going to rip it easily, but it’s also very very water resistant. I’ve ran water over my sleeve for a minute and it just beads up and runs off the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk