Nut Allergies

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Am possibly taking a drop camp type hunt with a young fella that has a nut allergy. Haven't ever dealt with this stuff prior so was wondering what others may have done in this situation to replace a lot of the usual foods with things that are allergy friendly and calorie dense?

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
Sesame butter instead of almond or peanut butter.
I’d also verify whether all nuts are off-limits, or just tree nuts.

LostArra

WKR
Epi Pen or two

DIY energy bars with tolerated ingredients. I would not trust anything commercial being in the back country.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Asked and it sounds like he stays away from all nuts. Has anyone tried the sun flower seed "butter"? If so, is it at least palatable?

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My kids school has a prohibition on nuts, so I pack them with the sunflower seed butter in sandwiches sometimes as a substitute for peanut butter. They like it (and I do, too, for what it's worth).

sneaky

"DADDY"
Asked and it sounds like he stays away from all nuts. Has anyone tried the sun flower seed "butter"? If so, is it at least palatable?
Read the response just above this one. Start trying stuff now to see what will work and what won't. What's palatable to one person may not be for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Just plan on eating separate things or let him plan meals. I had a nut allergy for a long time and never had an issue on any hunts.

TxxAgg

WKR
Our youngest is allergic to all nuts/seeds so we keep the following on hand.

Epipen or AuviQ
Benadryl
Zyrtec

These are some of my kid's favs:

Good bread w/honey
Bacon
Jerky
Chocolate
Nut free bars
Salami
Cheese
Yogurt
Apples/Strawberries (also Dried fruit)
Meatballs
Noodles
Tortillas

Last edited:
OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
100%. His life is in your hands
I'll definitely have a sit down before we 100% commit, but I'll take that responsibility. After reading back realized that when I said "young fella" I should've said he's 19 now and would be 22 by go time. Guess that now I'm considering anyone that's young enough to be my kid is a "young fella". Wow feeling old... Anyway, thanks for the help so far.

SDHNTR

WKR
Cut the guy a price break and have him bring his own food. No way I’d want that worry on me as an outfitter.

Tgun46

FNG
My son has a severe peanut allergy. I agree with all above, don’t try any new foods out in the middle of no where, my son has ate numerous things that on the ingredients don’t say anything about peanut ingredients or manufactured in a facility with peanuts but has still broke out in hives. Keep an epi pen and Benadryl with at all times. We use the sunflower seed butter. We like it, wasn’t much of a fan at first but have grown to like it more