NV buying elk points?

Morrid7

FNG
What are your thoughts about continuing to buy elk points in NV given the low odds of ever drawing for most people? Assume I’m 45, have 5 elk points, and don’t care to hunt mule deer or anything else in NV. Obviously I’ve invested some money into this fantasy, but that’s a sunk cost from my perspective and doesn’t factor into the decision of continuing to buy licenses and points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Need to make that choice for yourself we don’t know about your finances or what is tolerable to spend on this. Did you see the price of that tag once you do draw

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with above - totally individual decision. I had to research NV draw odds. Wish I’d never looked. I‘ll keep putting in anyway.

cstab

FNG
I chose not to. Odds are ridiculous.

cgasner1

WKR
So last year I did a big bull contest with like 10 guys one of them had a really cool belt buckle made. There was no rules on states or weapons just a big bull contest. After the draws one guy had a phenomenal Idaho rifle tag and another a late season nevada tag. I got lucky and killed a amazing 6x7 herd bull here in Montana had that buckle
In the bag. I put lasted the Idaho tag and the guy with the Nevada tag. When it was all done I lost the buckle by like 4” to the guy that put the contest on fiancé. She had a 4th season otc Colorado tag and just wanted to kill a bull and ended up with a giant. Nevada is a very special place we can’t tell you if it’s worth the money or wait. It really depends on what you want out of the hunt and what your willing to spend for that experience

The other guys are correct that only you can decide.
My decision 15 years ago was basically justified as a “per unit” cost. Meaning I was going to put in for Ca and DBH sheep, elk, deer and antelope. So 5 species for a couple hundred $. Then… NV changed their youth prices to $20 for a hunting license when my oldest turned 12. So now both of my boys can apply for multiple species for 6yrs for cheap. Again, lump all of us together and the per unit cost is justifiable… at least I can justify it.
Big difference is we are applying for deer and should be able to hunt a unit that has decent odds every few years between the 3 of us… meanwhile, hoping to get lucky on the unicorn and Sasquatch tags.
That said, it would be hard for me to justify putting in for only 1 species.