NV or Thermal Recommendations

Looking for some recommendations on a simple night vision or thermal scope I can put on an AR for hunting coyotes. I don’t need anything special just something reliable that will get the job done and won’t break the bank.

For not breaking the bank, ATN 4K 3-14 pro will give you both daytime and NV (200ish yds) in one scope for about $700.
A Hogster R25 thermal scope will be good out to about 200 yds, 300 yds would be stretching it for about $2400.
The next step up would be the Hogster R35 for the 200-400 yds range for about $2900.
You will probably want a thermal scanner as scanning with a scoped AR will get old real quick. Entry scanners like the Pulsar Axion Key start at about $1900 and they go up from there. The Hogster scopes can double as a scanner as you can turn the reticle off for scanning.
Ask away if this is not the answer you were looking for.

OP
R
I was looking at the ATNs. The XSight II HD. I can get one of those for about $400 on eBay. It’s hard for me to buy one without actually testing it or knowing anyone with one who can give me first hand experience.

I have the X-Sight II 3-14 and have had it for 2 years with zero problems. If you read the manual first, you should have no problems. Most folks that have issues with this scope are people with light computer skills. Any digital scope is more like a computer than a traditional scope. I have taken many coyotes with mine and I have only good to report on the X-Sight II. I use the factory supplied IR and can get about 200 yds with clear conditions. There is a very good ATN owners forum that can help with most any question you have. I highly recommend using an external power source vs the internal AA's. Weak batteries do cause the scope to do strange things. If you don't want to go the external route, get you some Kentli rechargeable batteries, not just any rechargeables, get Kentli. Most rechargeables start out at 1.2V fully charged and drop off. Kentli store 3.7V and output a steady 1.5V which is the voltage you need. My 16,000 mah power bank will run my scope 18 hrs + and still have more in the tank.

OP
R
I have the X-Sight II 3-14 and have had it for 2 years with zero problems. If you read the manual first, you should have no problems. Most folks that have issues with this scope are people with light computer skills. Any digital scope is more like a computer than a traditional scope. I have taken many coyotes with mine and I have only good to report on the X-Sight II. I use the factory supplied IR and can get about 200 yds with clear conditions. There is a very good ATN owners forum that can help with most any question you have. I highly recommend using an external power source vs the internal AA's. Weak batteries do cause the scope to do strange things. If you don't want to go the external route, get you some Kentli rechargeable batteries, not just any rechargeables, get Kentli. Most rechargeables start out at 1.2V fully charged and drop off. Kentli store 3.7V and output a steady 1.5V which is the voltage you need. My 16,000 mah power bank will run my scope 18 hrs + and still have more in the tank.

This is what I like to hear, good stories about it. While I am pretty computer savvy, I really don’t plan on utilizing all the options it offers. I really just want to be able to point and shoot while being able to see whatever is out there 200yds away in the dark. I have heard that you do need the external power pack to run the sight effectively though. But they’re cheap and easy to find.

Last edited:

Nuke Man

WKR
Been using a Flir PTS Pro233 mounted on my AR for a few years now. It's as low frills as you can get. I haven't had any issues with it. I picked up an AGM handheld thermal to scan with. So far I like it but have 0 seasons with it yet.
I'd highly recommend staying away frim ATN Xsight stuff. Had 2 buddies try them and both had issues with the scopes. Just look at reviews and it should steer you way away from them.

Nuke Man

WKR
Your going to want an external battery pack for any of the thermals. They really eat up batteries. I use a Anker pack that's round and fits perfectly in a 1 inch QD scope ring.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Like the others said the hogster 35 is a great scope, small in size, but great view for the price, now they have released the super hogster that has a 12 micron core making it an even better view for a bit more money with the same footprint. Use as scope or use for scanner.

Can help you guys out on these just message me contact info, working on trying to get Ryan dialed in on something soon.

Capt. Max

FNG
You can find pulsar RXQ30v for 1500 used, that little optics isn't terrible. but minimum I would look at the Thermion XQ38. the Recording and ability to watch your own shooting will make you a far better hunter/shooter than anything. I don't use anything ATN as I have had nothing but issues and now just stay away.

+1 on the Hogster, they are suposed to be the best for the money.

I like thermal but have never been satisfied with the cheaper thermal. I would be happy with a Gen2+/Gen3 D740 or D760 NV scope and then get a Hogster hand held thermal scanner.

jeffpg

WKR
I am new in the Thermal game, but I shot a few hogs with a friend using the Hogster 35 last night. It's great, but this Super Hogster is greater and I am planning on ordering one very soon...

WCB

WKR
sight mark Wraith...factory 250-300 yards easy...upgrade the IR illuminator as far as you want to shoot.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I am new in the Thermal game, but I shot a few hogs with a friend using the Hogster 35 last night. It's great, but this Super Hogster is greater and I am planning on ordering one very soon...

Better order and get on a list. We have a list 50 people long and waiting on bering optic to get in gear.

6 week wait seems to be about right for todays market. Im waiting on one myself.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Just incase anyone is looking for one or knows someone.
Iray mh25 with mounting hardware and some extra batteries.