NW OR...still learning the ropes

I have lived in NW Oregon for a few years. I've been out after blacktail (rifle) for 2 seasons with no luck. I grew up hunting whitetail in the NE, but that did nothing to help me here! I would really appreciate any suggestions as to scouting and hunting them in general. I'm not looking for anyone to share their "spot(s)" with me but some general info for otc (public) areas would be awesome. Also, I don't know anyone that lives in Oregon and hunts. If anybody is interested in heading out in the woods with some company, I'd love to join. Thanks in advance, for the help.

Oregon

WKR
I hunt black tails in NW Oregon as well.
Our deer numbers suck compared to past 30 years.
East of coast range summit way better than west side where I live. I consider it a successful day hunt if I look at 3-4 deer a day. I never hunt all day. Usually til 11 am or leave house around 430pm.
Clatsop SF or Tillamook SF has great access and you can run out of gas with all the country to look at, but deer density not very high.
I hunt strictly private timber company land that allows walk in access only without a fee.
I’ll hunt opening day, then maybe go again in October if a little stormy, but last 5 days of season I go non stop.
If you put all your effort into glassing clearcuts or walking old logging roads with no vehicle traffic you stand a good chance of finding one.

OP
neanderpaul420
I hunt black tails in NW Oregon as well.
Our deer numbers suck compared to past 30 years.
East of coast range summit way better than west side where I live. I consider it a successful day hunt if I look at 3-4 deer a day. I never hunt all day. Usually til 11 am or leave house around 430pm.
Clatsop SF or Tillamook SF has great access and you can run out of gas with all the country to look at, but deer density not very high.
I hunt strictly private timber company land that allows walk in access only without a fee.
I’ll hunt opening day, then maybe go again in October if a little stormy, but last 5 days of season I go non stop.
If you put all your effort into glassing clearcuts or walking old logging roads with no vehicle traffic you stand a good chance of finding one.
Thanks, Oregon. I appreciate the advice.

diyhntr

FNG
I hunt them too. I’ve always had good luck hunting areas with oak trees. With that said there are not a lot of areas you can find oak trees and public land. The southern part of the state is drier and not as thick. As Oregon said, finding areas you have to walk in with no vehicle traffic will always be a plus. Areas that transition from hardwoods to evergreens can be good too. The last 5 days are a great time to be out there. Taking your time, hunt slow and rain is always a plus!

OP
neanderpaul420
I hunt them too. I’ve always had good luck hunting areas with oak trees. With that said there are not a lot of areas you can find oak trees and public land. The southern part of the state is drier and not as thick. As Oregon said, finding areas you have to walk in with no vehicle traffic will always be a plus. Areas that transition from hardwoods to evergreens can be good too. The last 5 days are a great time to be out there. Taking your time, hunt slow and rain is always a plus!
Thanks Diyhntr, I appreciate the advice!

slick

WKR
Just moved to the SW. Missed last season, or elected not to buy NR tags.

I try and find those buggers every single day in the Applegate. Rain seems to be the biggest help. Not a torrential downpour but a steady drizzle seems to be the best for increased deer activity. As others have said the oak trees seem to hold deer- most likely the mast crop. Lots of gated BLM roads to get back in on away from people, also lots of pinheads that take their quad or motorcycle around the gate. General season doesn’t overlap the rut much, so as others have said the last few days of the season should be the best. I know folks down this way that sit migratory corridors and have great success sitting the same exact stump every single year. So if you find one you should be good for seasons to come.

I find quite a few bait sites and stands in the woods, but I don’t think Blacktails are as pattern-able as whiteys to a bait pile. Jackson County has the most Boone and Crockett bucks entered than I think anywhere else. If you’re every in the SW corner I’d be more than happy to drop some points on a map. We don’t have as many logging operations down this way, but deer seem to utilize the meadows that are a patchwork of buckbrush and manzanita shrubs. They don’t seem to stay in them long. They’ll feed as they move through. Bucks are just as cagey as an old whitetail from the Midwest.

They utilize ridge-lines and saddles down this way frequently as long as they aren’t in the open. Move slow and quiet and glass frequently. Shouldn’t have a problem filling the freezer. Good luck!

OP
neanderpaul420
Just moved to the SW. Missed last season, or elected not to buy NR tags.

I try and find those buggers every single day in the Applegate. Rain seems to be the biggest help. Not a torrential downpour but a steady drizzle seems to be the best for increased deer activity. As others have said the oak trees seem to hold deer- most likely the mast crop. Lots of gated BLM roads to get back in on away from people, also lots of pinheads that take their quad or motorcycle around the gate. General season doesn’t overlap the rut much, so as others have said the last few days of the season should be the best. I know folks down this way that sit migratory corridors and have great success sitting the same exact stump every single year. So if you find one you should be good for seasons to come.

I find quite a few bait sites and stands in the woods, but I don’t think Blacktails are as pattern-able as whiteys to a bait pile. Jackson County has the most Boone and Crockett bucks entered than I think anywhere else. If you’re every in the SW corner I’d be more than happy to drop some points on a map. We don’t have as many logging operations down this way, but deer seem to utilize the meadows that are a patchwork of buckbrush and manzanita shrubs. They don’t seem to stay in them long. They’ll feed as they move through. Bucks are just as cagey as an old whitetail from the Midwest.

They utilize ridge-lines and saddles down this way frequently as long as they aren’t in the open. Move slow and quiet and glass frequently. Shouldn’t have a problem filling the freezer. Good luck!
Thanks, Slick! I'm still trying to figure out the areas around where I live! Lol That said, if I ever get down your way for some scouting/hunting, I'll def be in touch!