NWT Dall/Caribou 2022

agaugler

FNG
Headed up the NWT for sheep/bou August 5-10 with ARRO. For the guys who have been there and done that, I’m looking for a little advice. I’ve got my clothing system, boots, pack, tent etc pretty well dialed. But I’m still unsure on a few key things:

1. Did you take a tripod and spotter or leave it to the guide?

2. Did you bring your own food or just eat what the outfitter had for you? What did you wish you had that you didn’t?

3. Would you bring a 300 WM or a 6.5 prc? I’ve got both, 300 has bigger glass and pushes 200gr eldx, 6.5 PRC with 143 Eldx. Both have carbon barrels and stocks and shoot well.

4. What did you bring that you should have left behind and what did you not bring that you wish you had?

5. What did you wish you had done differently during your physical hunt prep? I’ve been chugging away through the MTN tough backcountry program and know that nothing comes close to hiking in the mountains, but we still haven’t got any in Florida despite multiple requests on my part.

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge, and you guys are truly awesome.

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
I’d leave the spotter behind, I’d take the 6.5. Bring some bug dope. The mountain tough workout should be enough, try to do some sidehilling to strengthen ankles. Take some favourite snacks and have fun.

walleyes

FNG
What he said. They have lots of different food options and the 6.5 will do the trick for sheep bou.
Just focus on getting in shape to enjoy as much of the country as you can. You can go as far as your boots take you every day and it’s a long way to see around the next corner. 😁

Headed up the NWT for sheep/bou August 5-10 with ARRO. For the guys who have been there and done that, I’m looking for a little advice. I’ve got my clothing system, boots, pack, tent etc pretty well dialed. But I’m still unsure on a few key things:

2. Did you bring your own food or just eat what the outfitter had for you? What did you wish you had that you didn’t?

3. Would you bring a 300 WM or a 6.5 prc? I’ve got both, 300 has bigger glass and pushes 200gr eldx, 6.5 PRC with 143 Eldx. Both have carbon barrels and stocks and shoot well.

4. What did you bring that you should have left behind and what did you not bring that you wish you had?

5. What did you wish you had done differently during your physical hunt prep? I’ve been chugging away through the MTN tough backcountry program and know that nothing comes close to hiking in the mountains, but we still haven’t got any in Florida despite multiple requests on my part.

Did not go with ARRO, but have been to NWT, and a Florida guy here. I was told by another Florida guy who hunts sheep every year to spend time trodding with pack and boots in that area of soft sand between where the waves lap up, and where the hard firm sand is where everyone has their chairs. I didn't do this and wish I had. Stair climbers and stadium bleachers are flat and dont move. Building muscles in your legs is one thing, rocks, talus, and scree that move when you step on them are another. Also I recommend you get a wobble board and stand on it periodically while watching TV or talking on the phone.

I would take the spotter and the 300 mag.

Outside of snacks I would not take food unless you are very particular or have allergies. You will get to pick out your meals before you get flown out.

Take some electrolyte drink mix packs to put in your Nalgene bottle.

Good luck on your hunt, enjoy every second. Take lots of pics! No matter how many you take you will wish you took more

OP
A

agaugler

FNG
Did not go with ARRO, but have been to NWT, and a Florida guy here. I was told by another Florida guy who hunts sheep every year to spend time trodding with pack and boots in that area of soft sand between where the waves lap up, and where the hard firm sand is where everyone has their chairs. I didn't do this and wish I had. Stair climbers and stadium bleachers are flat and dont move. Building muscles in your legs is one thing, rocks, talus, and scree that move when you step on them are another. Also I recommend you get a wobble board and stand on it periodically while watching TV or talking on the phone.

I would take the spotter and the 300 mag.

Outside of snacks I would not take food unless you are very particular or have allergies. You will get to pick out your meals before you get flown out.

Take some electrolyte drink mix packs to put in your Nalgene bottle.

Good luck on your hunt, enjoy every second. Take lots of pics! No matter how many you take you will wish you took more
Thanks Doc,

I’m thinking the spotter would be nice to have, especially for some phoneskope videos at long range. I usually leave the pack at home when we head to the beach, but a long tuck in soft sand sounds like it may help with all the little calf muscles you don’t use down here.

As far as pics, I’m still up in the air between using my phone and taking a camera. I take terrible pictures (most of the time) but I’m m trying to get better.

I didn’t bring a spotter and didn’t regret it. They have good bars and meals. One thing I really enjoyed was a handful of Fritos crushed up every day along w a couple pieces of dried mango. It was a good change of pace. I would bring a 300 just in case you have a grizzly charge. The only thing I packed around I didn’t use was the 5# salt. I shot my ram on the last day and never used it. There’s another thread on here about stuff to bring on a sheep hunt and I gleaned some things that were great!
I do like to bring a few paper towels to shove in my boots. They soak up the sweat and then the boots feel dry in the am. Put the paper towel in your sleeping bag and they’re dry by nighttime. I like the idea of walking in sand. I did a stairclimber and stairs in my house w my pack on. I also did hiking on the weekend in the mountains and lifted weights focusing back muscles where I was weak.

Super fun trip and great outfit! Enjoy and let us know how it goes!

I always have a tripod for my binoculars when hunting out west. So adding the spotter for my sheep hunt was an easy decision. Sitting behind the phoneskope evaluating sheep and caribou was like watching HDTV. I loved having it. That said, your guide may have this set-up too, but I liked having my own.

If you're doing MTN Tough consistently, the weight of the spotting scope won't hurt you. I did a guided mountain goat without a spotter and wished I had one.

I'm sure you will be well fed with ARRO. I took a lucky pack of gummy bears, a few of my own drink mixes, and a flask of Oban 14.

I would have brought both my Thermarest MAX and ExPed MegaMat had a better understanding of my specific hunting plan. I only brought the lightweight thermarest for backpacking. I killed my ram on day 2 and spent the remainder of the hunt at a fixed position caribou camp. I could have easily had the MegaMat with no real penalty. That's about the only gear change I think I would make. But the addition of the heavier pad would be highly dependent on how your hunt with ARRO goes down.

mulecreek

FNG

1. Leave it to the guide. Willing to bet his is as good as yours if not better.
2. Eat what they have. Food was of little concern to me. They had everything I needed.
3. Either is fine.
4. Bring your own tent. Sounds like you plan to, make sure you do that. You and your guide will appreciate it.
5. I hiked the mountain behind my house. 1,000 ft of gain in a 1/2 mile. Did this every evening at least once. I felt like I was in great shape to keep up with guide. Its far more mental than physical. If you are in decent shape you will be good. As long as you stay mentally tough. I heard far more stories from the guide about hunters that gave up mentally than I did those that just could not put one foot in front of the other.

Good luck and have fun.

I leave it to the guide assuming he has a phone scope and phone to get photos...but I'm old and don't like caring the extra weight (5#s) and bulk of a tripod scope if I don't have to.

ARRO has a decent selection of food. I ate their's on both hunts. But I like /need Emergen-C drinks to deal with leg cramps so took that along.
Sheep and bou are thin skinned. I'd take the PRC.
Nothing, but have tons of back country hunting experience.

OP
A

agaugler

FNG
I always have a tripod for my binoculars when hunting out west. So adding the spotter for my sheep hunt was an easy decision. Sitting behind the phoneskope evaluating sheep and caribou was like watching HDTV. I loved having it. That said, your guide may have this set-up too, but I liked having my own.

If you're doing MTN Tough consistently, the weight of the spotting scope won't hurt you. I did a guided mountain goat without a spotter and wished I had one.

I'm sure you will be well fed with ARRO. I took a lucky pack of gummy bears, a few of my own drink mixes, and a flask of Oban 14.

I would have brought both my Thermarest MAX and ExPed MegaMat had a better understanding of my specific hunting plan. I only brought the lightweight thermarest for backpacking. I killed my ram on day 2 and spent the remainder of the hunt at a fixed position caribou camp. I could have easily had the MegaMat with no real penalty. That's about the only gear change I think I would make. But the addition of the heavier pad would be highly dependent on how your hunt with ARRO goes down.
That sounds like an awesome hunt. I'm gonna bring the thermarest for backpacking and 2/3 of Z rest for a glassing pad/chair/insurance.

Im definitely gonna let them take care of the food. I know some guys take their own because they're picky, but that aint me. I take a few choice snacks and let that be it.

Thanks for the tip on the flask...I definitely don't want to be caught short on a celebratory toast.

Hunted with ARRO in 2018. Carried the spotter and regretted it we stayed on the move way more than I anticipated and never really needed it. With that said every hunt will be different. I carried a 6.5 no regrets. I was in decent shape but could have been in better. I think being in the best shape you can will make the trip more enjoyable.

I_am_Waz

FNG
Two item's of note I did not see mentioned in the above posts:

I had NEVER used trekking poles on a hunt and when I prepared to head to Alaska last year I saw everyone mention them and saw guys on hunting shows using them... so what the heck. Bought a light pair of Aluminum (Was afraid of cracking Carbon Fiber poles on a hunt) and I practiced hiking some local hills and liked them enough to strap them to the side of my pack. Once I got there I fell in love with them on day 1 of the hike and I will never mountain hunt without them again. The balance and ease seemed to make all the difference on miles of trekking up and down mountains and they were a difference maker for me.

You mentioned taking a camera.... I had a horse and so could take my Camera and Go Pro - but if I were to be limited to taking just one, I would take the Go Pro. I documented the entire hunt and every time I watch the videos it's like being there again. The GoPro also allows me to take photos with it and I just strapped it to my head for hands free. I stashed 2 extra batteries and a Solar Charger to rotate daily and will take it with me on the next hunt as well.

Have a great time and best of luck!

Gene

Millek47

FNG
Take the 6.5. I would take the spotting scope into base camp and discuss it with your guide. I personally love to look at the sheep and drive my guides nuts trying to share a scope.