NWT Dall Sheep hunt two pair of boots ?

Guys - I am wondering how many of you guys take two pair of boots when you go sheep hunting. Is it worth the extra weight to have two pairs of boots in case one gets wet where you can a spare pair of dry boots or do you just accept that fact that your feet might get wet and only bring one pair ? I have a pair of Lowa Tibets Hi and Salomon Quest GTX and was trying to decide about bringing the Salomon's instead of taking my crocs for camp shoes. What do you guys think ?

On day two of my hunt last year I would have paid a lot of money for a second pair of boots. I flooded mine and had wet boots for the rest of the trip. With that said I wouldn’t want to lug around an extra pair in my pack. Having multiple pairs of dry socks helped my situation.

A spare pair of boots in base camp (or left in your vehicle if you are starting at a road), but not in the pack on a back pack hunting trip for me.

Treat your boots very well before you go sheep hunting. Sno Seal for me, with a very small tin in the pack to touch up the toes during the trip too. Avoid going in water over the top of your boots!

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
1 pair of boots, broken in and oiled before the trip. 1 pair of crocs

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SLA

FNG
Nope, hunted NWT two times, one pair boots.
I pull my insoles every night and put inside my sleeping bag.

If you are helicoptered in it would be a nice backup. If you are back packing in then no way, just be aware of your feet and have good gaiters etc.

The helicopter drops you off. You backpack from there. Leave the spare pair in base camp. If you have a blowout on a boot get a boot drop. Highly unlikely if starting with decent boots.

OP
StraightShooter
Well it sounds like one pair of boots. What about bringing an extra pair of insoles to change out ? Do any of you guys used seal skinz waterproof socks and if so how did you like the them ?

Kotaman

WKR
Here’s my list of clothing for a 10 day sheep hunt:

• Sitka Timberline Pants (Apex in early season)
  • Sitka Apex Hoodie
  • Sitka LS Tee
  • FL Merino Tee (2)
  • Woolfrotte Wool Socks (2)
  • Cabelas Liner Sock (3)
  • First Lite Brooks Puffy
  • Sitka Dewpoint Rain Gear
  • Sitka Gaiters
  • Crispi Nevada Boots
  • Sitka Stocking Cap
  • Sitka Ball Cap
  • Sitka Cold Front Gloves
  • Light Shooting Glove
  • Sitka Lightweight Long Johns -1
  • FL Merino Undies (2)
  • Lightweight camp shoes
That’s it...

Last edited:

TreyPound

FNG
Something to consider, leather stretches when wet. My boots seem to get wet a lot while hunting just from dew/moisture on grass, even though my feet stay dry with the Goretex lining. Waterproofing the leather helps, but on long hunts the constant flexing eventually creates gaps in the treatment. When hiking, if I'm not careful my boots will stretch enough to let my foot move...I get carried away with finishing a climb and resort to just grinding it out.

I'm considering a synthetic boot, like the Scarpa Charmoz GTX or Hanwag Mountain Light GTX because they don't stretch like wet leather, are lighter (with the Charmoz being the lighter of the two), and don't hold moisture like wet leather does (which makes them heavier). My only concern is how well they will hold up compared to leather.

Kotaman

WKR
I've worked hard on making all of my sheep gear as light as possible. It comes at a price, but worth it for me. I actually haven't weighed the kit cumulatively, I just try to find the lightest/best item/gear in its class and go with it. From the sleep system, to my knife to my head lamps...everything is as light as I can go without sacrificing much quality. I definately subscribe to the "oz. = lbs." theory. Most importantly, I don't take extra amenities. My rifle is my exception. At 8 lbs 2oz, my Gunwerks 6.5 PRC could be lighter, but it is as light as I'm comfortable going without sacrificing shooting distance. I'm currently playing around with a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 for an Ultra light rig, but am not optimistic it is going to pass the long distance test, however, it would save over a pound and a half if I can make it work.

The changes I've made going to specific Ultra Lite Items has made a huge difference in my kit. I used to have trouble getting everything into a HUGE Cabelas Duffle bag for a mountain hunt, along with my pack and rifle. Now, a small duffle, a 5900 ci pack cinched down used as a carry on and my gun case are it. Now, when I get picked up at the airport by the outfitter they usually say "this is all you have"..."I like it"!

Last edited:

Jdog

WKR
One very good pair of boots--My feet like Lowa.

Two pair of quality socks.

Quality gaiters--I prefer OR.