NWT Mix bag - 308 or 270WSM

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
Time to start thinking about my upcoming NWT Mixed Bag Hunt - Moose, Caribou and Sheep. I remember posting the day I booked a couple years ago. Hard to believe its around the corner. I'm leaning toward my Kimber Montana 308 with 165 AccuBonds. I also have a 300 WSM and 270 WSM...but those guns are heavier and more bulky. I shoot all three well so thats not a consideration. Is the small and lighter 308 okay?

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Dream hunt! Color me jelly! I don’t think you could go wrong, but why don’t you ask MMO what gun to bring? They’ll know best.

I have taken all three of those animals, multiple times, with my .308 KM.....also multiple black bears, and a brown/grizzly. Mostly with 150 ttsx, or 180 partition, but some animals with plain old 150 interlocks or 150 sst. The 308 KM is a superb setup for a mixed bag hunt such as the one you have planned. Hope this helps a fellow wolverine!141964141965141966141967

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken all three of those animals, multiple times, with my .308 KM.....also multiple black bears, and a brown/grizzly. Mostly with 150 ttsx, or 180 partition, but some animals with plain old 150 interlocks or 150 sst. The 308 KM is a superb setup for a mixed bag hunt such as the one you have planned. Hope this helps a fellow wolverine!
Super pictures and encouraging. I'm leaning to the 308 with 165 AB - these have worked great on several elk. The KM is amazingly light and accurate. I may put a better scope on the rifle VX5HD as I currently have a VX2 3X9. I'd like a dial in turret I think...the cost of this hunt has broke me though so I may just stick with what I have....

Last edited:
I have a 2-10 VX5HD on a 270 KM right now, but my 308 has always worn a Leupold 3-9X40 CDS or a Leupold 2.5-8 with a BC reticle. The 2.5-8 has been on it the most, but not because the 3-9X40 was lacking. Both scopes fit the platform well. The VX5HD is a heck of a scope, but if I were tight on money, I would commit funds to better binos and boots.

buzzy

WKR
When are you heading up? I’ll be with Stan in the 2nd hunt of the season so late July. My guess you will be there the end of August or so.

I hunted moose and bou with Stan 2 years ago and now going back for a Dahl. They get you close. I shot my moose at 100 yards, and he was a beast and my bou at 75 yards. But I was using a heavy 338RUM. This hunt I’ll use my 270.

if you can get Ryan to guide you he is great. Although all the guides are awesome. Best of luck

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
When are you heading up? I’ll be with Stan in the 2nd hunt of the season so late July. My guess you will be there the end of August or so.

I hunted moose and bou with Stan 2 years ago and now going back for a Dahl. They get you close. I shot my moose at 100 yards, and he was a beast and my bou at 75 yards. But I was using a heavy 338RUM. This hunt I’ll use my 270.

if you can get Ryan to guide you he is great. Although all the guides are awesome. Best of luck

I'll be there from Aug 24 - Sep 7. Glad to get the good report on your success there!

Shawstr

FNG
Either of those would be fine . Just have good bullet and shoot your gun lots
I work for Stan

OP
ericthered

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the advice. I’m going with the 308 and 165 accubond. The gun is so light and shoots great. Looking forward to the trip - it’s getting real now!

Either of those would be fine . Just have good bullet and shoot your gun lots
I work for Stan

teamr2

FNG
The Kimber 308/165AB combination is all I've used for the past decade. It's killed at least one moose every year along with a host of other critters and does minimal meat damage if you do your part. Incredibly versatile, handy, and light package. Go forth with confidence!

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with 308, i like using heavier bullets at 500 yards , 168 174 180,better groupings, but i never shot 270wsm , so i don't know. I have a stevens in 30-06 i shoot at 500 yards 168matchkings , i can get hold 5inch group or so, i don't think those guns are very accurate at that distance, i mean you can hit stuff but i cant really get a good group with that gun.