NWT moose hunt question

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Headed on a moose hunt there this fall and considering taking a spotting scope. It's a guided trip so I assume the guide will probably have one, but I like the idea of having my own. I also know the benefit of keeping my pack as light as I can. I think we'll potentially be pulling camp and setting up in new areas depending on the action close by. Thoughts from anyone who has done that hunt if I'll miss it leaving it behind?

Old and gray

Lil-Rokslider
I did a heli moose hunt last year, the guide had a spotter and I only had binoculars. Doing a horseback moose hunt this year and doubt I’ll take a spotting scope. If the guide has one you should be ok.

I agree with Old & Grey, but you might also pose your question to your outfitter in Northwest Territories. As an outfitter myself, I know that I appreciate and respect the clients that ask me questions, as opposed to their reliance on what they read and see on internet or television.

OP
K

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Yea, appreciate the feedback. They are all out Dall hunting now so no real communication till right before I leave it seems. It's listed as optional gear on the paperwork of suggested gear so I was torn between carrying it and the added weight.

Yea, appreciate the feedback. They are all out Dall hunting now so no real communication till right before I leave it seems. It's listed as optional gear on the paperwork of suggested gear so I was torn between carrying it and the added weight.

I wouldn't bother with taking it. It's a fully guided moose hunt for Alaska/Yukon Moose in the Northwest Territories. It's not like you'll be trying to distinguish brow tines or 45 inches from 50 inches, or estimating gross and net SCI score. I wouldn't bother taking it. It's jusy one more thing you'd have to keep track if and try not to lose.