NX 8 2.5-20 Short Action Mounting

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I had a semi custom 6.5PRC put together earlier this year. The goal was a lightweight backpacking rifle. The rifle is built on a Remington short action with Wyatt internals to allow for heavies. The barrel is a CF wrapped Bartlein #4.
I ordered a NF nx8 2.5-20 and Hawkins long range hybrid lows (the correct height according to their website). The problem is that the objective ever so slightly touches the barrel no matter how far forward or back the scope is mounted so now I have a new set of hybrid rings/bases I can’t use and the higher height is on backorder everywhere.
I talked to Hawkins and Red Hawk today. Both companies are great to deal with and are willing to send me a new set when they get their hands on them.
My question is, should I wait on the higher hybrids or just go with a picatinny and rings? For those that have similar setups, what did you do? Will the highs be high enough? If you went the rail/ring route, how high of rings did you go with? I like my scopes kept as close to the barrel as possible.
Thanks in advance

WKR
I ran into the same problem last night on a defiance XM action with the Bartlein CF varmint contour. I am going to switch over to the rail/rings. I have a set of seekins high rings laying around and I believe that should work. I can't remember where but I read on a forum that highs will work.

deadwolf

WKR
One thing to consider is the overall scope length when mounting on a pic rail. The objective will likely get close to the end of the pic rail when you have the correct eye relief. Even with a pic rail you may. have to bump up the ring height. Both my NX8 2.5-20 are real close to touching the front of the rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id do the hybrids on a hunting rifle.
But this is an nx8 4-32
Rem SA with NF 20 moa rail and Hawkins UL tactical rings in .885 height.

Its not touching the rail but damn close.
If I needed it further back I'd have to cut the rail off.
20210317_145106.jpg

B23

WKR
I just put this scope on a new CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. I used a NF 20 MOA pic rail and NF .885 rings. The scope is mounted in those rings as far back as you can and the objective doesn’t touch the rail. Same setup in a long action and you’d have to cut the front of the rail off to get the eye relief where you want it but in a CA short action which is a Rem 700 SA clone it works fine.

bbrown

WKR
I put that same scope and rings on a buddy’s CA Ridgeline 6.5prc and it worked but just barely. I’d go with the highs if I did it over again but we were in a time crunch. The short main tube does not leave much room for adjustment.
1263212E-4034-4596-944E-9B84595223C6.pngB2D312CB-2100-4C7C-8CFF-6008F42995FD.png

Last edited:
OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. So far, they are all kind of apples to oranges though.
CA barrel contour is skinnier than Barteiln’s #4. Seeing the pic above of the CA with the Hawkins lows makes me wonder if the highs would even be enough with my barrel bc with lows, it sits much lower then that pic and the highs are only .1 taller. I wish I knew that was enough.
Going the rail/rings route worries me as well bc like everyone said, it may end up touching the rail. I do have a NF 20moa rail laying around so I might just order some .885’s and see.
Hey B23, can you post a pic or 2 of your setup so I can see just how close it comes to the rail please?
Much appreciated

B23

WKR
I’d be happy to but I’m gone taking my kiddo to college and won’t be back home for awhile.

I can tell you it’s a close fit with the scope slid all the way back but it doesn’t touch.

Also, that particular scope seems to have a noticeably shorter eye relief than my other NF scopes and I have to get further forward with my head placement than about any other scope I recall having.

Last edited:
OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
No rush. I’m patiently waiting on a set of Hawkins hybrid highs. The lows are for sale/trade in the classifieds if anybody needs them.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
If you order a pic rail from Murphy Precision, you can request that he mill down the front of it, to allow more clearance which allows for shorter ring height. So you don't have to bump up to the next higher ring size. He did that for me and it looks great, better than grinding it down yourself.

OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
That helps a bunch. It looks like there will be plenty of clearance for my heavier contour barrel. Thanks

OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I’d have to look at the specs but it seems like the shank on my Bartlein #4 is heavier then that Proof and this is where the objective is hitting.
Thanks for the pics guys. Give me confidence that when the highs arrive, they will work.

deadwolf

WKR
A couple pics to add in to the mix. Hawkins rings are lows and NF are one up from the .885”.

First pic is a Lone Peak Fuzion XM action and Hawkins and second pic is a Bighorn Origin 300 PRC with NF ultra lite. Eye relief is good on both, though I wish on the Bighorn I could come back another 1/4”

9851bc6c848b57c10a77caf10f482f4a.jpg

48d1c08f0b3332d59b84e0135a05e281.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote to grab a pic rail that doesn't extend forward of the action or milling one down. That will allow you to get the scope setting where you want it.

I might have a murphy precision 700 SA titanium rail sitting around I could let go of. I dont think it extends forward of the action?

OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the offer but I heard from Hawkins today. They are building me a set of high hybrids this week.

OP
Cynoscion

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Hawkins shipped my new, high, hybrids today so I’ll update and end this thread next week when I get it all set up.
Going back through this thread I couldn’t help but notice that a lot of guys aren’t mounting the hybrids correctly. The undersides of the bases are labeled front and back but they also have an arrow on them which should be pointed toward the muzzle. I’ll attach a pic for comparison purposes but with 25 MOA built into this system, there’s no way you’re taking advantage of that without proper mounting.

Attachments

• FF019A3B-B108-45B5-A498-83F3ABD0DCA2.jpeg
    FF019A3B-B108-45B5-A498-83F3ABD0DCA2.jpeg
    233.5 KB · Views: 44