NX8 or Leupold Mark 5

Rooggvc

WKR
I have decided to invest the money in a quality optic. I have narrowed my decision down to a Nightforce NX8 or a Leupold Mark 5. They will be used for hunting and target shooting. I don't have experience with either. I am looking for something reliable and repeatable. I can get both of them for around the same price. I would like some feedback on your guys experiences with either. Thanks

frogman43

FNG
NX8........put one on my Kelbly's 6.5 PRC last year. Had previously been using NXS scopes for Long Range.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
That's a landslide so far. Thank you guys for getting back to me. I am having a little debate about FFP vs Second Focal. Have you guys found the FFP NX8 reticles to be useable on lower magnification at close range. I overthink stuff and I always worry I would miss a close shot with a FFP scope

I have both, I prefer using and looking through the Mark5 HD. I also know the NX8 is probably the more dependable scope. But I have shot well over 1000 rounds with my mark5 and it hasn’t lost zero.

worx53

WKR
I have both also. I think it’s more important as to FFP vs SFP.
Both very sharp glass. The NX8 ffp back east is very hard to pick out the crosshair at lower power so I almost instantly click the light on so that I can see the crosshair down at 2 1/2 to 6 power especially in the dark Pines at low light. Also while still hunting the SFP is quicker to get on a target quickly. I think it really depends on your style of hunting and ffp vs Sfp .
I think the NX eight is superior in build quality and repeatability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
It seems like the NX8 is a safer bet from your guys experience. I think I will give one of my FFP scopes a try this year during my elk hunt. That should help me decide which to buy. Thank you guys for all the help.

That's a landslide so far. Thank you guys for getting back to me. I am having a little debate about FFP vs Second Focal. Have you guys found the FFP NX8 reticles to be useable on lower magnification at close range. I overthink stuff and I always worry I would miss a close shot with a FFP scope
Go to a store that has the FFP scopes. Put the scopes on the lowest magnification and look around. Look at the screens on the tents and and everything else. How’s that work for you?

Did that with a FFP NF scope and the crosshairs washed out against the screen in a tent (inside a Sportmans). That was a hard no-go for me; no point in it if you can’t see the reticle against a dark background (ex: black bear).

But each of our eyes are different as is our intended target(s).

worx53

WKR
I learned click the lighted crosshair on the sevond you raise the rifle .. problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
So I discovered the optics test on here and the Trijicon Tenmile. I found a 3-18X50 MRAD SFP that I can get for half the price of the NX8. From what I have read the Tenmile sounds dependable. Is the NX8 reallly worth twice as much?

amassi

WKR
So I discovered the optics test on here and the Trijicon Tenmile. I found a 3-18X50 MRAD SFP that I can get for half the price of the NX8. From what I have read the Tenmile sounds dependable. Is the NX8 reallly worth twice as much?
Yes

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk