NX8 vs ATACR

Looking at either the Nightforce NX-8 4-32 or the ATACR 5-25x56 this will be on a 6.5prc and I backpack hunt a lot. I can get the ATACR for a couple hundred more dollars than the NX8. My question is, is the ATACR that much better of a scope?

The ATACR wins in every way possible except weight. I have two of them and they have served me very well. If you can afford it, ATACR all the way. Don't discount the 4-16 either, they're a hell of a scope and can be found cheaper than the 5-25 . I have both and prefer the 4-16 on my lighter rifles for hunting and the 5-25 for playing around at a mile.

Briant_az

FNG
I am not familiar with the ATACR, but I recently put one of the NX8's on one of my rifles. I am very impressed with it so far. I'm very excited to hunt with it this year.
My main hunting rifle for the last couple of years has had a Leupold VX6 4-24 on it. This is the only thing that I have to compare it to as far as higher end scopes go (or mid-tier I guess). Nightforce is an improvement, though I never thought I needed more than the VX6.

OP
307_highcountry
I am not familiar with the ATACR, but I recently put one of the NX8's on one of my rifles. I am very impressed with it so far. I'm very excited to hunt with it this year.
My main hunting rifle for the last couple of years has had a Leupold VX6 4-24 on it. This is the only thing that I have to compare it to as far as higher end scopes go (or mid-tier I guess). Nightforce is an improvement, though I never thought I needed more than the VX6.

Thanks for the reply, I am planning on putting the NX8 on a rifle that currently has a VX5HD 3-15. this should be a pretty major upgrade.... Anything you don't like about the NX8?

The ATACR wins in every way possible except weight. I have two of them and they have served me very well. If you can afford it, ATACR all the way. Don't discount the 4-16 either, they're a hell of a scope and can be found cheaper than the 5-25 . I have both and prefer the 4-16 on my lighter rifles for hunting and the 5-25 for playing around at a mile.
Totally agree.

I would also recommend the ATACR in the 4-16 power range, over the 5-25x, especially on a light weight rifle. From my perspective.....higher magnification scopes generally do more harm than good, with the exception of when you're zeroing a rifle. If you do choose the 5-25 power range scope.....definitely consider choosing the First Focal Plane model. Most likely in field / hunting conditions, you'll be somewhere between 10-16x. A FFP scope will maintain the same reticle sub tension, regardless of what magnification you've selected. As opposed to a Second Focal Plane model, which will only have the proper sub tension at max power (25x).

Last edited:

Briant_az

FNG
Thanks for the reply, I am planning on putting the NX8 on a rifle that currently has a VX5HD 3-15. this should be a pretty major upgrade.... Anything you don't like about the NX8?
So far I really like everything about it. This is not my 1st ffp scope but it does take some getting use to. The crosshairs are fairly small at low magnification but get big enough to see pretty quickly. Also looking at anything light colored through the scope you can see them fine. I’ve never shot anything on low power so to me it’s not a huge deal. other than that I really like this scope. I was amazed at the clarity difference between it and the VX6.

gmchenry

FNG
I have an NX8 in sfp 4-32. Very nice scope. Just curious how much better the glass actually is in the atacr versus the NX8. I haven't got to look through an atacr yet.

EmanP223

WKR
Yes they are that much better, I have 2 of each currently and had them in every power range.

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any updates on this? I am looking for SFP NX8 4-32 or ATACR 4-16 (or even 5-25)

How do they compare? Is ATACR that much better?

Rock-o

WKR
I have the same magnification NX8 and have shot the same magnification ATACR about the same amount. Get the ATACR.

* Qualifier *
I'd buy my NX8 again though. I just wasn't willing to spend the additional to get the ATACR.

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same magnification NX8 and have shot the same magnification ATACR about the same amount. Get the ATACR.

* Qualifier *
I'd buy my NX8 again though. I just wasn't willing to spend the additional to get the ATACR.
I actually bought an NX8 today, got it brand new for $1,800, couldn't pass up the deal. While I do think ATACR would be better, I don't think it will be substantial enough to justify spending that much more