Nxs 2.5-10 dust inside scope

Just curious if any of you guys have had this problem ... I just received and mounted up a nxs 2.5-10 and was out shooting yesterday and didn’t notice anything wrong but today I went out to shoot some groundhogs and I noticed a blurry black spot in the bottom left of the lense while looking through .... it’s not rly that bad but sure is frustrating knowing how much I spent on the scope

My brand new NX8 had a small amount of debris that I could only see from 2.5-4 power (FFP scope). I didn't notice it til after I had mounted it so couldn't return to the dealer. Didnt affect performance as it was also in the periphery but it bothered me. Nightforce had a return label in my email within 5 minutes, and just under 3 weeks from when I shipped it off I had it back. So...if it bothers you (it did me) call NF and I'd bet they'll take care of you given it is a new scope.

OP
Joshuajosh
My brand new NX8 had a small amount of debris that I could only see from 2.5-4 power (FFP scope). I didn't notice it til after I had mounted it so couldn't return to the dealer. Didnt affect performance as it was also in the periphery but it bothered me. Nightforce had a return label in my email within 5 minutes, and just under 3 weeks from when I shipped it off I had it back. So...if it bothers you (it did me) call NF and I'd bet they'll take care of you given it is a new scope.
alright thank you !

jreyna

FNG
I had the same issue on my NXS 2.5-10x42. Thankfully, I'm fairly local to the NF headquarters up in Idaho and I shipped it in and they turned it around in less than a week. Unless they have a ton of military work they are doing (which I would suspect not-so-much since we are bringing a lot of folks home) then they prioritize items like yours. I know this is an old post but figured I'd share my experience if you are still experiencing the same issue and are hesitant to send it in. Good luck.

OP
Joshuajosh
I had the same issue on my NXS 2.5-10x42. Thankfully, I'm fairly local to the NF headquarters up in Idaho and I shipped it in and they turned it around in less than a week. Unless they have a ton of military work they are doing (which I would suspect not-so-much since we are bringing a lot of folks home) then they prioritize items like yours. I know this is an old post but figured I'd share my experience if you are still experiencing the same issue and are hesitant to send it in. Good luck.
I ended up sending mine in and had the same experience, very fast turnaround… thanks

jreyna

FNG
Agreed @Joshuajosh. I have a 4-16x44 atacr but if I had to choose between that and my NXS for a one scope for everything, I'd go with the NXS right now. Hard to beat on a hunting rig for the weight and ruggedness and I've also enjoyed the little scope at the range. Stay safe out there guys and send it!

OP
Joshuajosh
Agreed @Joshuajosh. I have a 4-16x44 atacr but if I had to choose between that and my NXS for a one scope for everything, I'd go with the NXS right now. Hard to beat on a hunting rig for the weight and ruggedness and I've also enjoyed the little scope at the range. Stay safe out there guys and send it!
Yeah it does a great job for a solid hunting scope …. The improvment in glass with the atacr I’m sure is nice but the nxs is no slouch

I had a brand new NF 2.5-10X with a lot of dust and water spots inside the ocular tube... NF replaced it graciously and promptly.

On any optic: In a dark room, shine a flashlight into the ocular lens and you'll see everything you need to see with great clarity.

Finding stuff inside is not limited to NF, fyi.

Edit for NF clarification: My customer experience with NF was outstanding - honest and fair. Stuff happens... Easier to love NF for sure!

Last edited:
OP
Joshuajosh
I had a brand new NF 2.5-10X with a lot of dust... NF replaced it graciously and promptly.

On any scope: In a dark room, shine a flashlight into the ocular lens and you'll see everything you need to see with great clarity.

Finding dust is not limited to NF, fyi.
Yeah I know what you mean, just not a great feeling when you open up a $1600 optic and there is a smudge on the inside lol

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
All scopes, and I do mean ALL scopes can have black flakes (usually flakes from the coating inside the tube) get on the glass. Most times a sharp smack with your hand will dislodge it and it’ll get stuck to the tube where it’s supposed to be. If that doesn’t work taking the scope off and smacking the objective on a phone book.

Last edited:

Dos XX

WKR
I totally jacked up a NF scope. It didn't have a zero stop and I got it stuck at bottom somehow during a match. I took the turret knob off and used pliers on it and finished the match.

I called them and told them what happened, including that I used pliers on the brass stem, and they fixed it at no charge. I think it took a little over 2 weeks, including shipping back and forth.

Last edited:

jreyna

FNG
All scopes, and I do mean ALL scopes can have black flakes (usually flakes from the coating inside the tube) get on the glass. Most times a sharp smack with your hand will dislodge it and it’ll get stuck to the tube where it’s supposed to be. If that doesn’t work taking the scope off and smacking the objective on a phone will.
Agreed @Formidilosus. When I talked to NF's support team they recommended I find something firm to smack my scope against but that wouldn't mar the finish. They said they put a debris trap inside their scopes for this very reason, which I thought was very forward thinking. I followed their directions with smacking my scope over a towel covered 2x4 and it didn't get the black spots out so they kindly had me ship it in at no cost.

Was it a bummer to have to ship in a scope? Sure. But overall I was very pleased with their handling of my situation.

That experience made me a bigger NF fan. You know what they say, at the end of the world there will be two things left, cockroaches and NF scopes.