NXS 2.5-10 tracking issues?

I have an NXS 2.5-10x42 compact MOA that I mounted on a rifle and have only shot a couple of times, but tonight I noticed something weird with the vertical tracking.

I have zeroed and set the zero stop, and verified dope and dialed around quite a bit out to 520yds and nothing seems out of place. All dialing and return to zero has been perfect.

Tonight I was dry firing and started playing with my elevation dial. Set up on a bipod and rear bag, I set the reticle on a spot on the wall. While looking through the reticle and dialing the turret, the reticle moves until I’m 26moa up. Then the reticle sticks (stops moving) despite the knob moving and clicking another 20+ moa up. There is no change in tactile feel of the turret when the reticle stops moving.

At the end of the turret’s available clicks I have not pushed hard, I know that can damage a scope.

This is not normal correct? As long as the turrets are clicking, I should have the reticle moving correct?

I have not checked the reticle movement down as I have the zero stop set.

I called and left a voicemail with Nightforce CS, I’ll update this when I hear back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
How much MOA up should you have compared to what you actually have? I know sometimes scopes are designed to only go X amount and past that they’re empty clicks. I haven’t had that with NF but maybe for the NXS but I doubt it.

OP
PantherCity
I should have 100 moa of elevation. I’m not sure where I am in that. But I think I was on paper out of the box with my zero so I don’t think I used 24moa of my elevation to get zeroed.

I’ve never heard of a scope with “empty clicks”

Is that a thing? Does the NXS 2.5-10x42 have “empty clicks?

freddyG

WKR
My NF scopes don’t do that, although I don’t have the exact model you have. I really doubt it’s normal.

I have two C458’s and neither have empty clicks. One has a frozen zero stop and I’m too lazy to send it in, but that’s another issue and not a show stopper. Both scopes function great as aiming devices.

OP
PantherCity
Thanks for the insight guys, I think I found the issue with some help From Broz on LRO forum. Too much windage dialed. I fiddled with my windage and was able to free up more elevation. I drew some pictures to illustrate how windage effects the available elevation adjustment. Instead of the reticle or erector assembly having the entire diameter of the scope tube to move, you only have a reduced tangent to adjust in.

These drawings are simple and not to scale obviously, I traced a yeti cup and a bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk just now.

The green reticle represents the reticle in the center of it’s elevation range and the 2 red reticles represent the top and bottom limit where the adjustment stops due to contact with the scope tube.
467384822f4f6ac271a3e8ff0ba5cfc1.jpg

7361cef2bc336090b0a33f7180873e49.jpg

69c773dee372567fcbb27c0df3f0d9cd.jpg

OP
PantherCity
This scope is mounted on a Tikka in 6.5 creed in Sportsmatch rings.

I still have enough elevation to shoot to 800 which is beyond my current ability or needs for this hunting season. I’ll roll with it as is for now as I have dialed repeatedly to 520 and back with no issues. I’ll take it down and tinker after hunting season.

Thanks for all the help, hopefully this can help someone else.

gelton

WKR
Thanks for the insight guys, I think I found the issue with some help From Broz on LRO forum. Too much windage dialed. I fiddled with my windage and was able to free up more elevation. I drew some pictures to illustrate how windage effects the available elevation adjustment. Instead of the reticle or erector assembly having the entire diameter of the scope tube to move, you only have a reduced tangent to adjust in.

These drawings are simple and not to scale obviously, I traced a yeti cup and a bottle of hand sanitizer at my desk just now.

The green reticle represents the reticle in the center of it’s elevation range and the 2 red reticles represent the top and bottom limit where the adjustment stops due to contact with the scope tube.
467384822f4f6ac271a3e8ff0ba5cfc1.jpg

7361cef2bc336090b0a33f7180873e49.jpg

69c773dee372567fcbb27c0df3f0d9cd.jpg

Learn something new everyday...I would have never guessed this...Broz knows his stuff for sure.

OP
PantherCity
Nightforce called me back and offered an RMA. He said there should never be “empty clicks” with any of their scopes. He mentioned a long turnaround time and with hunting season looming I asked if it was ok to shoot as is and send it in after the new year. He said that he personally would not hesitate to shoot and hunt with it as is, if it’s holding zero and tracking properly.

So my plan is to run it as is until after season.

OXN939

WKR
Nightforce called me back and offered an RMA. He said there should never be “empty clicks” with any of their scopes. He mentioned a long turnaround time and with hunting season looming I asked if it was ok to shoot as is and send it in after the new year. He said that he personally would not hesitate to shoot and hunt with it as is, if it’s holding zero and tracking properly.

So my plan is to run it as is until after season.

Super insightful thread. Always heard that you want your optics to have, as a rule of thumb, 20% of their adjustment left to dial in all directions. Let us know how it turns out- I wouldn't be concerned with an NXS, though