NXS 2.5-10x42 or RS 1.2 2.5x15

Grizzle

FNG
Hello, I live in BC (canada) and am not able to get my hands on either of these scopes before ordering. Looking for some advice from people who ideally have used both.
Hunting is everything from dark coastal forest to open country 0-600 yards, targets and preditors to 1000 (not as important to me as 0-600)
I understand the nxs is sfp but topping out at 10x I could get by just fine.
They both seem to have been proven reliable.
What have you found in use that sets one above the other (reticle useability, low light performance, form/ function ect.) and if buying again which one would you choose?
Thanks,
Grizzle

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Unless you need the weight savings (24.5 oz vs 20.5 oz), the compact size, or the ability to drive nails, the RS 1.2 2.5-15 beats the NXS out in my experience. I only use 1 RS 1.2 (and it's been for a limited time) but I use a lot of the NXS 2.5-10's. Aside from the 3 things I mentioned, the NXS doesn't do much as well as the RS 1.2

Hello, I live in BC (canada) and am not able to get my hands on either of these scopes before ordering. Looking for some advice from people who ideally have used both.
Hunting is everything from dark coastal forest to open country 0-600 yards, targets and preditors to 1000 (not as important to me as 0-600)
I understand the nxs is sfp but topping out at 10x I could get by just fine.
They both seem to have been proven reliable.
What have you found in use that sets one above the other (reticle useability, low light performance, form/ function ect.) and if buying again which one would you choose?
Thanks,
Grizzle
If you are anywhere near Vancouver call Reliable Gun. They carried a lot of stuff I have never seen in shops down here in Texas. Super great people over there.

OP
Grizzle

Grizzle

FNG
Ya there are a couple good shops in BC but nothing near me, best case pass by them couple times a year.
Thanks though I appreciate the tip I'm mostly looking for first hand comparisons of the two and what sets them apart

I had the NXS sold it and now own the maven 1.2. The maven like above is bigger and heavier. The maven being ffp is a huge advantage over the nxs. If weight and size aren’t the biggest concern you aren’t giving anything up buy going with the maven in fact there are a lot of advantages.

Jbuck

FNG
I guess I'll go against the grain here. I think the nxs 2.5-10x42 is my favorite general purpose hunting scope and if I could only have 1 that would be it.

I have several others including much higher power scopes and I think the highest power I've ever used on game is 9x with my high power FFP scopes due to FOV and spotting my shots. But the bottom end on those scopes are almost unusable without illumination. So if I was to kill a battery I'd really struggle.

So personally with 10x scopes ffp vs spf is moot. If I'm shooting far enough to need hold offs I'm going to be at 10x.

With my nxs I shoot moa steel out to 1000yds.

prm

WKR
I do not have a Maven. I have had this NXS. This NXS is SFP which I did not prefer given the reticle, and I never gelled with how the illumination works. I really prefer simply rotating between off and +/- intensity levels. The size and weight are sure nice though.

Samson7x

WKR
Unless you need the weight savings (24.5 oz vs 20.5 oz), the compact size, or the ability to drive nails, the RS 1.2 2.5-15 beats the NXS out in my experience. I only use 1 RS 1.2 (and it's been for a limited time) but I use a lot of the NXS 2.5-10's. Aside from the 3 things I mentioned, the NXS doesn't do much as well as the RS 1.2

He's asking about the RS1.2 which is listed at 26.4oz on the website.

That's fairly significant if considering "lightweight" options. Doesn't seem like that's a top priority for OP though. One could make the argument that there are better options in the 26-27oz category though.

I only have the NXS and like it so can't really comment on comparison.

atmat

WKR
They’re both good scopes.

The Maven has a better reticle, better illumination, better zoom range, clearer glass, and is FFP.

The NXS is tested and 6 oz lighter.

I sold my NXS and kept my Maven. Though I do wish it was 4-6oz lighter.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
He's asking about the RS1.2 which is listed at 26.4oz on the website.

That's fairly significant if considering "lightweight" options. Doesn't seem like that's a top priority for OP though. One could make the argument that there are better options in the 26-27oz category though.

I only have the NXS and like it so can't really comment on comparison.

If weight is a consideration, 6 oz is certainly a bigger difference than 4. Thanks for pointing that out.

SDHNTR

WKR
They’re both good scopes.

The Maven has a better reticle, better illumination, better zoom range, clearer glass, and is FFP.

The NXS is tested and 6 oz lighter.

I sold my NXS and kept my Maven. Though I do wish it was 4-6oz lighter.
This is a fair assessment. Personally, I don’t mind SFP in this limited power range. I can spot hits at 10x. And I’ve grown to like the MOAR quite a bit. On a mountain rifle, I like the weight savings too.

Last edited:
OP
Grizzle

Grizzle

FNG
Thanks to everyone that's chimed in so far. Since the rs 1.2 mill are out of stock until may/June I haven't orderd anything yet. I'm sure the nxs would work fine for me and if one comes up used Id probably jump on it but new prices the maven will be at least 750 cheaper depending on duty (I'm in Canada) and with them getting good reliability results it doesn't seem to give up much except in weight.

atmat

WKR
You might also look at the SB Klassic 3-12 P3L reticle. Kind of splits the difference between the NXS and Maven.

FFP, light (21-22oz), and better glass than both.

I guess I'll go against the grain here. I think the nxs 2.5-10x42 is my favorite general purpose hunting scope and if I could only have 1 that would be it.

I have several others including much higher power scopes and I think the highest power I've ever used on game is 9x with my high power FFP scopes due to FOV and spotting my shots. But the bottom end on those scopes are almost unusable without illumination. So if I was to kill a battery I'd really struggle.

So personally with 10x scopes ffp vs spf is moot. If I'm shooting far enough to need hold offs I'm going to be at 10x.

With my nxs I shoot moa steel out to 1000yds.
The NF moar is my favorite reticle. I have more expensive scopes in FFP but my favorite hunting scope is the NF SHV 3-10. I have a NX8 sitting in the closet. I agree with 10x being perfect for SFP. I also agree on 10x being fine for steel to 1000.

Not the nxs asked about, but same reticle I think and similar size and weight.