NXS 2.5x10-42 Compact on Tikka T3X with Uknown Munitions rings?

dhatter9

FNG
So I have a Tikka T3X Lite Veil in .308 that currently has Talley rings and a Leupold vxfreedom. I’m wanting to upgrade to the nightforce nxs 2.5 x 10 -42 and use the unknown munitions rings. Has any one on here mounted one using this setup? Did the eye relief work out ok with the recoil pin locations on the unknown rings, or should I get pic rail for when I go to mount the scope. Thanks for the input.

OP
D

dhatter9

FNG
Did you end up getting the UM tikka rings? Curious what you think of them!
Yes, I haven’t mounted them yet, but I have unboxed them and watched the YouTube video on how to mount them. I think they are going to work well. They are built much sturdier than the Talley rings I currently have.

Sturdier in the sense that they're bulkier or they just feel more rigid?

Have you ever mounted a scope in Talley's? They are extruded aluminum that you can flex in your hand and see wrap around a scope as you tighten them. It's a much different feeling from a thick machined ring.

OP
D

dhatter9

FNG
Just feel more rigid. I like how they lock on the rail. I accidentally dropped my rifle and it landed on a rock last summer, my scope never shifted but it took a good gouge out of the Talley ring. Didn’t inspire confidence in me. Talleys have never failed on me, but I don’t feel super confident in the tiny little screws holding the base. Looking forward to trying the new rings out.

Haven't mounted anything yet with Tally's, have only used Leupold or Warne steel rings which have been performing well for me. I'm interested in those Tally rings with integrated bases since there's some (small) weight savings to be had vs steel rings. Seems like there are drawbacks to them I wasn't aware of, thanks for sharing your experiences!

So I have a Tikka T3X Lite Veil in .308 that currently has Talley rings and a Leupold vxfreedom. I’m wanting to upgrade to the nightforce nxs 2.5 x 10 -42 and use the unknown munitions rings. Has any one on here mounted one using this setup? Did the eye relief work out ok with the recoil pin locations on the unknown rings, or should I get pic rail for when I go to mount the scope. Thanks for the input.
I have one with that same setup and there was no drama getting it set up

In every sense, including the hardware. Tally are not sturdy, they remind me of leupold, attractive in concept but fragile in use.

I have maybe had 3 or 4 sets and had a ring crack and a screw break on them

I'm sure its been posted someplace but how do the UM rings compare in height to the Sportsmatch rings for a 30MM scope? Are the UM lows about the same or lower than he Sportsmatch?