NXS 3.5-15x50 or 5.5-22x50

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
What are your thoughts on these scopes?
It is for a 300 win mag hunting rifle but will target shoot some (backyard, not competitive).

SDHNTR

WKR
SFP? If yes, go with 3-15. 22x is too much and shrinks FOV to unusable levels in the field. Bigger and heavier too. If FFP, then it’s a matter of personal preference, but I still say 3-15 as more is not necessary.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, SFP. That was what I was thinking too but wanted to see what more experienced distance shooters thought.
Thanks.

I vote the 22x. Easy to use the reticle at 11x for holding by doubling your values and you still have the 22x if you want it. Which I often do! Opinions are going to vary person to person.

5.5-22 - I don’t think there is a material difference in weight between the two. I shoot a lot of animals on 22x with mine and haven’t noticed any FOV problems. You can always turn it down.

Tmac

WKR
I went with the 3-15 version. I can shoot while hunting further than I need to at 12x, wanted the 3x on the low end for close work. I have taken a good number of animals 300-350-400, one a little further, none had the scope over 6x, so that may bias me some.

OP
B

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
5.5-22 - I don’t think there is a material difference in weight between the two. I shoot a lot of animals on 22x with mine and haven’t noticed any FOV problems. You can always turn it down.
I believe it is a 1 oz difference in weight.
Higher mag has less eye relief and less FOV.
Higher mag also has 10 MOA less elevation adjustment.

nphunter

WKR
IDK, I have contemplating upgrading my scope to a scope with higher magnification but haven’t had a need since building the rifle.
I’m shooting a 280AI out to 1K with a 5-15 x 44 scope. The main reason I haven’t went bigger is that I don’t really want the bigger objective. Currently I have a great cheek weld and hate to change things around. For 600+ targets the higher magnification would be nice but it isn’t necessary and I hardly ever make it out to shoot at those distances. For hunting 15x is more than enough and too much a lot of the time. The last couple animals were killed at 5x and probably would have better with a 2 or 3x scope.

FlyGuy

WKR
I have the 22 and I love it. I originally ordered the 15 but screwed up and got the wrong reticle, had to return it to local cabelas and the only one they had in stock (had a hunt coming up) was an open box 22.

I wouldn’t have chosen it if I hadn’t been jammed up, but I’m super happy with the way it worked out.

I was concerned about the 5.5 minimum power but it’s been a non issue, and the extra power is way more of an advantage than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
I have both, the 15 on a 6.5 PRC and the 22 on a 280ai. If I had to keep just one it would be the 5.5-22, for the extra magnification. Either one will work just fine in my opinion.