NY Bear... Catskills Area

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
Early Bear is less than a month away in NY. Anyone planning to do it? I've got a buddy who's sent me trail cam pics of some bears. It's all about food, right? I think the berry sources are gone or will be by then.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I’m gonna head upstate in the Catskills region to try and shoot a bear near the end of September when it’s not as hot. I’ll probly bring my climber and sit a morning and evening. The DEC website lists all the counties where bears in NY have been harvested so it helps to narrow down an area of the state to focus on.

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
Sounds good eastcoast94. Are you planning to find a food source and sit there? or call?
I am hoping to get some leads on the food up where I plan to go.

Ajvandenbosch8

Lil-Rokslider
Early Bear is less than a month away in NY. Anyone planning to do it? I've got a buddy who's sent me trail cam pics of some bears. It's all about food, right? I think the berry sources are gone or will be by then.

I’m planning to give it a shot! This will be my first time chasing black bears or any bears. I’m over in Western NY and am thinking about heading over toward black river and 5 parks areas to do some scouting and look for food sources... my plan is to target bear but if I get a crack at a Booner I’d obviously take it. Any tips for a first timer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
Here is one on land I can get to - close to the house even. Am trying to make the early season happen. Estimates on size? Looks a little small but not a cub.

Attachments

• bear 8  30.jpg
    bear 8 30.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 29

dels322

FNG
Looking to head up myself probably the 23rd to the 27th if anyone has some knowledge or ideas let me know. Pretty much relegated to escouting the area have a few areas of interest but not much else to go on.

Trial153

WKR
I put up a stand and hung two cams on our property , my mother been seeing a bruiser of bear near her house the last month. I have not hunted this land for about three years. Last bear killed off it was 2015

Last edited:

Yorker

FNG
I’m originally from the Catskills, from my experience , once the berries are gone they will hit the acorns. Seems like planted corn is always a draw, usually private land though. The bear in the first picture looks like 150lbs to me, Disclaimer....I’m not real experienced at judging them.

Jmp209

FNG
Made the trip out to the catskills park from western new york for the early bear season and wow was that eye opening. Those are definitely mountains compared to the hills back home. I had areas picked out to scout and figured I would hit some ridges and cover some ground to locate bear sign but I couldnt cover near as much area as I thought I'd be able to and never located any fresh sign. I ended up having to cut the trip short because I screwed up my knee while out there but planning on changing up tactics and getting back out there again next year.

Trial153

WKR
You’d be hard pressed to find any bear sign this time of the year unless they are coming down into the few corn fields around . You might find some
Scar on woods roads near berries but otherwise your not going to see a whole lot.
I been getting about a picture a week on my cams but that won’t mean anything for the bow season

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
Not expecting useful action yet. Thinking about getting up there this fall though.
Early bear in Sept- no deer hunters in woods yet
vs
Oct 1, shoot deer or bear, no guns in the woods

Plenty on cameras still hitting the standing corn fields around me,
Haven't seen any yet this season while bow hunting.