NY CCW law held to be unconstitutional

amassi

WKR
On another gun forum a resident of CA applied for a permit after the SCOTUS ruling and the state said his scheduled conference for an interview was April of 2023. Then he has to take a course and submit paperwork. So he’s looking at a 1 year wait. What was in that ruling?
He be lying. There is no state Involvement- that persons sheriffs department may be that backed up on Interviews? Some county's only have 1 Interviewer

Your county of residence issues the permit. Most counties in CA have been shall issue for a while now- no just cause required- coastal counties, LA, San Diego, Yolo have required the cause and I suspect will face a pretty big backlog of applicants.

My county is shall issue, you need a livescan and 16 hour class for first time applicants. 8 hours is mostly legal, then 4 hours on use of force and situational awareness. 4 hours on the range to pre Qual and qualify. Many of these courses offer the 34 state reciprocity as an add on.

The Interview comes last once you have your ducks in a row, takes about 90 seconds and you get rubber stamped.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
He be lying. There is no state Involvement- that persons sheriffs department may be that backed up on Interviews? Some county's only have 1 Interviewer

Your county of residence issues the permit. Most counties in CA have been shall issue for a while now- no just cause required- coastal counties, LA, San Diego, Yolo have required the cause and I suspect will face a pretty big backlog of applicants.

My county is shall issue, you need a livescan and 16 hour class for first time applicants. 8 hours is mostly legal, then 4 hours on use of force and situational awareness. 4 hours on the range to pre Qual and qualify. Many of these courses offer the 34 state reciprocity as an add on.

The Interview comes last once you have your ducks in a row, takes about 90 seconds and you get rubber stamped.

I checked the Santa Clara County sheriff website right after the SCOTUS ruling came down, and it explicitly stated they are very backed up due to another, prior court ruling. They explicitly stated at that time it was a "may issue" county. It indicated that one would submit the application and no fees would be due until the application was reviewed and moved forward. The poster you quoted said "state" but likely meant something different (e.g. local sheriff), but 2023 doesn't surprise me.

Looked again today and they have updated guidance that they are revisiting their polices based on the NY case. Regardless, probably a long wait once the application is filed.

260madman

WKR

Yep I meant county. He’s San Diego.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And in the meantime, you carry concealed. Would it be considered an "infringement" to require folks to wait a year (or even a day) to be able to exercise their 2A rights? Absolutely.

BjornF16

WKR
Still winning!…now Maryland:

On July 5, Gov. Hogan tweeted, “In light of a recent Supreme Court ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits.”

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
LOL we didn’t win anything in NY, full disclosure I haven’t read all the posts, but in case any of you guys are unaware we had 43 pages of new laws dropped on us a couple days ago here in New Yorkistan, all but eliminating any carrying rights, yup we will all now have full carry permits that are basically worthless, until pending any further litigation we are basically screwed here in NY, I’m glad some of you guys that live in free states are able to benefit from this historic decision, we got the shaft here…

260madman

WKR
Still winning!…now Maryland:

On July 5, Gov. Hogan tweeted, “In light of a recent Supreme Court ruling and to ensure compliance with the Constitution, I am directing the Maryland State Police to suspend utilization of the ‘good and substantial reason’ standard when reviewing applications for Wear and Carry Permits.”
You cut this short. There’s still the bit about usual standards permitting. In other words they are still requiring a pistol permit and training and can guarantee it will be other things attached going forward.

BjornF16

WKR
You cut this short. There’s still the bit about usual standards permitting. In other words they are still requiring a pistol permit and training and can guarantee it will be other things attached going forward.
The important thing is their movement from “may issue” to “shall issue”; I don’t think we’ll see Constitutional Carry nationwide for some time (if ever).

The ball is moving forward…