NY Times article on land access

Man eff that Eshelman guy. Absolutely understand landowners trying to protect the land they legally own, especially with the surge of NR hunters and the “get off my lawn” sentiment. But going to these lengths to try to prevent the public from accessing public land is something different entirely. It makes it a class issue, a haves vs. the have-nots, that I find very gross also.

Man eff that Eshelman guy. Absolutely understand landowners trying to protect the land they legally own, especially with the surge of NR hunters and the “get off my lawn” sentiment. But going to these lengths to try to prevent the public from accessing public land is something different entirely. It makes it a class issue, a haves vs. the have-nots, that I find very gross also.
The value of his ranch is dependent on the public land it locks up and so includes.

If the public gains access to that land, then his ranch becomes just a bunch of separated parcels interspersed with public sections.
His ranch will lose value. He will go from owning “control” of a mountain, to owning some sections of cattle pasture.
Tricky business valuing land based on delicate situations out of your control.
It’s a risk all landowners take.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I wonder how hard it would be to pack a bulls hindquarter on the ladder over those signs on the way back

Says they killed some big bulls so assume they did

bluumoon

WKR
Two thoughts, neither are original... What happens if a mass corner crossing was organized at said location ?

If you were to charter a helicopter ride in, would you still be violating "property rights"?

CRJR45

WKR
Two thoughts, neither are original... What happens if a mass corner crossing was organized at said location ?

If you were to charter a helicopter ride in, would you still be violating "property rights"?
I was wondering the same thing , he is claiming that the airspace is his also ?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering the same thing , he is claiming that the airspace is his also ?
That's the argument in simplest terms--
Private land ownership supercedes public land ownership of the airspace at the corner where the properties meet.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

CRJR45

WKR
Private land ownership supercedes public land ownership of the airspace at the corner where the properties meet.

Seems so simple , the guy could just grant an easement and enforce it , but no , he wants to screw everybody . Typical .

Poser

WKR

Definitely leaves you with an “eat the rich” sentiment towards Edhelman. Just screams of “I’ve got mine, but I’m gonna take everything else I can get to and you’re just gonna accept that.”

That is the way it has been handled, but I am unaware of any law specifying that. This case may, or may not change that. Either way, I am interested in the outcome. However the way I see, it, no matter who is the land owner, their rights should be equal and handled as such.

MTtrout

WKR
There’s no reason anyone should ever feel empathy for a person who bought millions of dollars of land and thought he would also have control/own other parcels of public land that share corners with their property. He should have done his due diligence and realized this day would come. What a pity party we should give him. And the air space violation is bogus. He’s saying that every time a neighbor trims their tree branches and crosses the neighbors “air space” they should be sued?…

FLATHEAD

WKR
Sounds like a great business opportunity for someone with
a helicopter to offer drop off hunts.

Hal Herring didn't do hunters any favors with his idiotic quote either.

No kidding, I am hoping that was a misquote.

No wonder people are suspicious of BHA with the face of your organization dropping quotes like that to the Times.

“Many hunters are irresponsible, and they’ve got these big, high-powered rifles that people don’t want by their grandmother’s house.”

Thanks for the representation, buddy.

ODB

WKR
No wonder people are suspicious of BHA with the face of your organization dropping quotes like that to the Times.

“Many hunters are irresponsible, and they’ve got these big, high-powered rifles that people don’t want by their grandmother’s house.”

Thanks for the representation, buddy.

Doesn't give you a great deal of confidence he himself even likes those big, (mean), high-powered rifles does it?

There were 1,000 ways to say it right, and this knucklehead missed them all.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have any background or imagery to this fabricated ladder? I too am interested in the ergonomics associated with packing out 1 ton bull elk over the corner. These missoura boys got it dialed!

I suppose we should respond in kind to Mr. Herring. We too can wet paper with pen.

Many journalists are irresponsible, and they’ve got these big, hifalutin articles folks don’t want around their family’s house.

I do believe Randy Newberg had an episode or two where he was dropped off by helicopter to a landlocked parcel. I think it was Montana, but not sure. He should head down to Elk Mountain with that strategy and see if this Eshelman c#@+ wants to sue him too.

z987k

WKR
No. There's already scotus case on this from long ago.

Business opportunity for someone with an r44 and a 135 cert... Set up shop on the public land next to his and charter people in. It wouldn't even cost much considering the flights would be under 5 minutes.

I suppose we should respond in kind to Mr. Herring. We too can wet paper with pen.

Many journalists are irresponsible, and they’ve got these big, hifalutin articles folks don’t want around their family’s house.
Who would have thought the host of the BHA podcast would be such a clumsy Fudd.