NY

New dude from NY - long time lurker. Looking to bear hunt the catskills this year. Looking forward to learnin from everyone

Fowler530

WKR
Welcome from NorCal!! Definitely lots of great information and experience to draw from around here!

NY16ga

FNG
Welcome! A fellow NYer here. Kinda thinking about bear hunting this year too since there isn't much else to do here in September. If I can manage a September bird hunting trip somewhere out west though that will definitely be my priority.

OP
Catskill.Joe
Goshen. You?

Little south of Kingston. Was in Phoenicia this week fishin the Esopus. Fun area!
Ever hunt the Catskills? I’m planning on doin it the first time this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Catskill.Joe
Welcome! A fellow NYer here. Kinda thinking about bear hunting this year too since there isn't much else to do here in September. If I can manage a September bird hunting trip somewhere out west though that will definitely be my priority.

I hope you get to do your bird hunt out west. Do you hunt bear in the Catskills or Adk usually? It would be my first year and I’m tryin to gather info on expectations/gear/safety or nitty gritty things that might make the experience a little easier

NY16ga

FNG
I hope you get to do your bird hunt out west. Do you hunt bear in the Catskills or Adk usually? It would be my first year and I’m tryin to gather info on expectations/gear/safety or nitty gritty things that might make the experience a little easier

Thanks, I'm still on the fence about it. My bird dog is getting old and her age has been showing a lot more lately. I'm hoping she can handle a Nebraska prairie chicken hunt but not sure yet. I'll definitely have her out after grouse and woodcock here in NY though once our season starts and it cools off a little but I'd love to get her out for one more prairie hunt.

I'm a novice too when it comes to bear hunting so not sure I have much advice to offer. I've certainly seen them/their sign all over the Catskills though and there's not much else to do here in September, which is why I started considering a hunt. To be honest, my expectations are low for that early season, mostly due to the limited visibility. If you haven't spent time there, its thick until November or so. 100 yards is a long shot. I haven't gotten serious about planning yet but I was thinking I'd get back into one of the thick, nasty, steep spots where I've seen sign in the past and no one else wants to go. Otherwise, pretty boring...a pack capable of hauling meat, the usual day hunting stuff, hand-me-down .30-06 with a dented low-power Leupold, etc.

Blend120

FNG
Little south of Kingston. Was in Phoenicia this week fishin the Esopus. Fun area!
Ever hunt the Catskills? I’m planning on doin it the first time this year.

I have not but I would like to. I’m working on my camping set up and hope to be off and running a bit this hunting season. I just got home from tent camping on Lake Ontario. Storms were wild.

Trial153

WKR
Welcome, I am in the northern catskills. Plenty of bears down our way.
If your serious about killing one the most consistent time is our sept "early " season. That and the first two weeks of the October bow season. After that its crap shoot. In the last 12 years 6 bears that I know have been killed on our property, 5 years ago half the land was sold to the DEP, so its effectively public. The other half we still own.