NZ Tahr hunt 2014- Pilgrimage of adventure.

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
with my pack up the hill behind me, having dropped it for the stalk, i had no option but to leave him there and come back the next day to recover some camp meat and the skin and horns. it was just too late in the day. it wasn't until i got back to camp just before dark that i realised i'd left my head torch in the tent for the day. had i decided to try and recover the tahr that afternoon i'd have spent a very cold unpleasant night on the mountain, since i'd have never been able to get back to camp without it.
it was simply, my lucky day. about time...

the following day we headed over towards my bull to recover it but hunted as we went. another break in the fog revealed a lone bedded bull. paul's turn. he got in real close-
CM
CM
CM

luke moffat

Super Moderator
This is the best best story I've ever read from New Zealand!!! Awesome pics and well told story. You guys had to make quite the haul to get in there!!! Just too cool! Love the pics of the hut. Makes me want to come down and just be a packer for you guys to experience it! No need for me to hunt, just go along!

I nearly bought an Exped tent instead of the Hilleberg I got....it was a seriously a few days thinking about which way to go. I was looking heavily at the Orion and looks like you got the Venus?

Love the pics of you center screen on that massive slope...look gnarly has heck!

No get back to finishing the darn story. :D

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
luke- that's paul's tent we were sharing. yes it's a venus II. if i bought a tent for sharing i'd go the hilleberg allak. i have a soulo for when there is 3 of us as the other two guys share pauls tent.

ultralight is great but sometimes it's good to be burdened by a heavy pack!
CM
CM

JP100

WKR
you sir have achieved the impossible. shooting a Tahr on public land with a bent stick and string is the greatest hunting achievement in the southern hemisphere by far. good work!! only took 40 days haha. Id rate this far harder than any sheep or goat hunt(my opinion haha)

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
we'd been listening to the mountain radio every night and there were forecasts for 3-4 days of heavy rain. it had already been raining most of the night of the day i recovered my bull so when we awoke to rain we began to contemplate our options. we had to get back across the river to get onto the trail that heads back out of the valley. we had about 4 days left i think but it was forecast to be raining that whole time so it forced our hand. it was decided that we should get down off the mountain and get across the river in case the forecasts came to fruition and left us stranded a couple of hundered meters from a comfortable hut on the opposite side of the river for a few days, risking missing our flights home. after packing up camp in the rain we got going at about lunch time and descended towards the river using a different branch of the creek, which turned out to be much better access. when we reached the river we were confronted with yet another challenge. westland wouldn't have it any other way and secretly, we like it that way. adventure!
after formulating a plan that involved NOT becoming another tourist swift water drowning statistic, we set about preparing all our gear for the float across the river. all the electronic gear was put into dry bags and the packs lashed together then tied to our combined lengths of para cord. (note to self- bring more para cord next time in case you need to swim across a river by yourself)
we would have got some photos worthy of some adventure documentry but due to logistics our cameras had to be in the packs for the float over to the other side. hence we didn't get photos of paul swimming across. paul swam across 1st and i set the 'pack raft' adrift when the slack in the paracord took up. paul was then able to haul the packs across and get his camera out so we could atleast get some pics of the event.
i thought it was cold walking across but it's not as bad as swimming!! we reckon you have to have balls to do this but i know i had none to show for it afterwards! LOL

for about 30 seconds after you get out you're racked with pain then it subsides and it was exhilarating after that. we both sat on the rock and just shook our heads and laughed. things you've got to do in this place!
i thought my pack was heavy before, well now it felt 5kgs heavier and when got to the hut it turns out it was. it's wonder there wasn't a trout in there! although there was probably a fish kill downstream after having two men who hadn't showered in 10 days swim through it.

it was a relief to get to the hut and get changed into some dry clothes and cook ourselves some tahr. as luck would have it, someone had left some onions and flour in the hut since we had last been there. it was one of the best feeds i could imagine. i savoured every last bit.
PR
PR
PR

the next day we walked out to the next hut and then the weather hit. we tried to walk out to the car the following day but were forced back to the hut for another night when we couldn't cross a flooded side creek that crossed the trail. we got pounded with rain and wind that night and we were thankful we were in a hut. if the hut was shaking it would have surely shredded the tent if we were in it.
we cooked the last of the tahr and enjoyed another wholesome meal of meat and nothing but meat. the weather broke early the next morning and this gave us a window of opportunity to get out. luckily the creeks go down as quickly as they rise and we managed to get to the car late that afternoon. back to civilisation once more.
i was suprised how quickly water levels fluctuate in this country, something duly noted for future trips.

this is the reason we had left over freeze dry meals- LOL
CM

Last edited:

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Clint you are a champ mate! I am making the same pilgrimage early September and would love to pick your brain sometime about your gear list, pack weight and tips for Westland.

Thanks for the story once again!

I remember bumping across this story late that summer.. I told my wife we were quitting our jobs and going to NZ for half a year.

Thanks for changing the trajectory of my life mate!

Tahr

FNG
I remember bumping across this story late that summer.. I told my wife we were quitting our jobs and going to NZ for half a year.

Thanks for changing the trajectory of my life mate!

When are you coming and what do you plan to hunt and do while you are here?

When are you coming and what do you plan to hunt and do while you are here?

Riverton rocks to Rienga, saw most of what nz ed has to offer.

Pretty awesome that up to last year my wee ones had spent 1/3 and half their lives in New Zealand.

Didn't make it till the 3rd trip. Well worth it
IMG_2183.JPG

Our NZ experience in a nutshell.
IMG_2180.JPG