O DISC + Blue Tape & Results

This morning I was able to get to the Dinger Farm. My goals were to sight in a OLD Original DISC 50, but new to me. I purchased this rifle because of its larger bore - right at .503-.504. With this rifle I can shoot a Lehigh 50x270 Sabotless bullet that Lehigh made several years ago. I have used it before in a White White Lightening and a older Knight Wolverine. I sold the Wolverine to move up to this DISC. The bullet shot well from the previous rifles so I was confident that it would shoot well from this O DISC.

The other goal was to gain more information about the BP being wrapped with Blue Monster Teflon tape. I started using this tape a few months ago and have been impressed with the way it has worked for me. I put up a post a few days back and the post created some questions which i think I have discovered some answers.

As mentioned it was a sight in project - which quickly turned into a recreational shooting trip. In all I took 15 shots shot shooting 120 grains of T7-2F ignited by a CCI #11 Mag cap. I normally use the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075 cap, but the CCI caps a much less expensive.
Started out placing 3 clays and a Target at 50 yards. I took the first shot at a clay which I missed then 5 shots at the target with sight adjustments. After that back to shooting clays. The 3 clays went quickly. From their the recreational shooting began I placed birds at 75 and 100 yards and worked my way through them. It was really fun to crush them. Then the winds and rain came!
When i got home I began the cleaning routine. Barrel/bore cleaning is really a quick thing for me. It has worked very well for several years now.

This pictures shows the simple things I do.

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

From there I moved to the breech area, and as all of you know when shooting caps the breech really does get dirty! I have developed a cleaning routine that works well for me and is really easy.

When I removed the nipple and then the breech plug I again was surprised how easy the plug came out. If you look at the plug I think you can see how well the nose seal was by how basically clean the BP is. When I took the plug out not tape came with it and that was my next surprise when I ran my first Windex patch into the breech threads I was surprised when I pulled back and out came the tape. It was not burned or melted at all. Of course I couldn't use it over but heck the tape was still soft and pliable.

I will add this group of pictures trying to show the results. I hope they make sense to you and possibly generate some questions

Pg1-shoot.jpg

Page-2-shoot.jpg

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the write up!

I'm going to give the teflon tape method a try, I attempted it a few years ago without any guidance and had it all wrong. I wasn't wrapping it far enough forward to get a good seal.

I really dislike cleaning the grease and crud out of the threaded area of the breech after shooting. This looks like it does a good job of keeping most of the crud out, and not having grease to deal with looks nice.

How do you use the patch stick tool? On your previous thread you had what looked like a long shanked teflon brush chucked in a cordless drill. Did you make that for cleaning the breech area also? And how much easier is it to clean the breech threads using tape vs grease?

OP
sabotloader
Thanks for the write up!

I'm going to give the teflon tape method a try, I attempted it a few years ago without any guidance and had it all wrong. I wasn't wrapping it far enough forward to get a good seal.

I would encourage you to give it another try... As I have said it is sort of an art to get it applied correctly so it may take a few attempts. Just wrap in the correct direction - clockwise from the nose down - compress it into the threads with your fingers. Install it slowly. Probably the most important thing is the internal threads of the barrel need to be clean so they do not snag the tape on the way in.

I really dislike cleaning the grease and crud out of the threaded area of the breech after shooting. This looks like it does a good job of keeping most of the crud out, and not having grease to deal with looks nice.

How do you use the patch stick tool? On your previous thread you had what looked like a long shanked teflon brush chucked in a cordless drill. Did you make that for cleaning the breech area also? And how much easier is it to clean the breech threads using tape vs grease?

The patch tool... is simply an extended length wood dowel with a very tight slot sawed into the end of to hold a patch.

Stick-Tool.jpg

This pic shows the tool and the two different wet patches I use. These patches are a Heavy Duty 3" square patch I got from Brownells.

I treat them with the liquid of choice then - fold a corner over on itself and install it in the slot on the tool.

Patch-Tool.jpg

Start the patch insertion

Inserting-Patch.jpg

Then pull the patch to to the bottom of the slot

Installed-Patch.jpg

The tool is built for pushing and turning - when pulling back make sure you are turning it counter clockwise. Sometimes the patches come off the tool and rod will need to be inserted in the muzzle and push the patch out the breech.

Breech_Cleaning_Tool.jpg

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
I begin my cleaning by using a toothbrush with cleaner of choice on the threads, then I clean the barrel.

rayporter

WKR
toothbrushes can do a lot-

i heat them with a bic lighter and bend and twist them while they are warm to get into really hard to reach places