O.H.P.

Hoodie

WKR
Appreciate the feedback, being mainly a structural framer I'm constantly lifting heavy objects and performing work above my head,one of the reasons I chose the push press. I'll probably just switch things up for a bit and incorporate some of the exercises that have been suggested, kinda need a change anyways.

The push press really just gets you past the initial shoulder movement of the press. You're effectively just training lockout with heavier weights than you could use in the OHP, but the bench press does this just as well. I don't think there's much to be gained from building overhead specific lockout strength (without the shoulders initiating). It's still pretty much all triceps.

I wouldn't spend time on the push press personally. If an Olympic lifter wanted to use it as an assistance lift for the jerk I think that could be an okay option, but for general strength training I don't think it offers too much. It is fun though.

This is just my opinion and your mileage may vary. The press is my favorite lift and I've probably subconsciously absorbed some of Mark Rippetoe's loathing for the push press.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
Anyone who is strength training should do static and active hangs...best thing for shoulders. Ohp is the king of the upper body exercises. There are also 3 light weight/high rep dumbell exercises you can do to address shoulder issues @6:00. Also some pre lifting stretches @7:45. Just stopping doing what your doing will not fix impingement.

Great video Zap thanks. That band work at the end is almost identical to what I went through almost 30 years ago after ripping my shoulder apart in a dirt bike crash. Definitely going to step back a bit and focus more on these fundamentals, I'm in no rush to push anything heavy at this point.

WKR
Appreciate the feedback, being mainly a structural framer I'm constantly lifting heavy objects and performing work above my head…….
If you know you need strength in the overhead position, then you know you need strength in the overhead position. Far be it for me to say you don’t. But if you do, I think you’re something of an exception to the rule. As mentioned, I find that I use downward pushing or static holding more often (crossing deadfall while wearing a pack and holding a rifle in your free hand, anyone?).

I believe most people can benefit from flexibility, mobility, and stability overhead, but seldom need pressing strength that requires specific training. But if you’re convinced that you do, remember that people with a big press often say, “To press a lot, you have to press a lot.” In other words, to put up big weight you have to practice frequently. And it doesn’t sound like your shoulders are tolerating it.

Last edited:
OP

4rcgoat

WKR
If you know you need strength in the overhead position, then you know you need strength in the overhead position. Far be it for me to say you don’t. But if you do, I think you’re something of an exception to the rule. As mentioned, I find that I use downward pushing or static holding more often (crossing deadfall while wearing a pack and holding a rifle in your free hand, anyone?).

I believe most people can benefit from flexibility, mobility, and stability overhead, but seldom need pressing strength that requires specific training. But if you’re convinced that you do, remember that people with a big press often say, “To press a lot, you have to press a lot.” In other words, to put up big weight you have to practice frequently. And it doesn’t sound like your shoulders are tolerating it.
Yep,totally understand where you are coming from. Had time to think about it over the weekend. I definitely felt better several years ago when I did more dumbell work with lighter weight for the shoulders. I'm not going to abandon the o.h.p. entirely,just gonna take a step back and work on some range of motion. Appreciate your thoughts.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look up Starting Strength technique videos for the press. A properly executed press shouldn't cause impingement. Lots of people go too wide for the grip, which can contribute to this.

This video has a good description of why impingement shouldn't occur.

Great video- thanks! Going to give those tips a go today :D I think I'm using too wide a grip and I've never thought about the hip action, but makes perfect sense

WKR
Look up Starting Strength technique videos…….
I’ve read the blue book and I believe Rippetoe’s program will deliver what he claims it will deliver. But I won’t do his program because Rippetoe’s program is all about six words: Five. More. Pounds. On. The. Bar.

That’s it in a nutshell. And to get FMPOTB from session to session thou shalt eat however many calories are needed to keep advancing and worry about cutting excess weight at a later date if needed. This works. Serious lifters know that mass moves mass and that eating your way through sticking points has long been done successfully. But just how healthy is it?

I find listening to Rippetoe’s podcasts entertaining. But Rippetoe looks like a metabolic mess to me.

Hoodie

WKR
I’ve read the blue book and I believe Rippetoe’s program will deliver what he claims it will deliver. But I won’t do his program because Rippetoe’s program is all about six words: Five. More. Pounds. On. The. Bar.

That’s it in a nutshell. And to get FMPOTB from session to session thou shalt eat however many calories are needed to keep advancing and worry about cutting excess weight at a later date if needed. This works. Serious lifters know that mass moves mass and that eating your way through sticking points has long been done successfully. But just how healthy is it?

I find listening to Rippetoe’s podcasts entertaining. But Rippetoe looks like a metabolic mess to me.

You don't need to put on excessive bodyfat for linear progression to work. You can safely ignore the whole milk advice and still make faster progress on linear progression than any other program, provided you are a true novice.

Starting Strength works for about 3 months if you do it right. Maybe a little more if you're genetically gifted. Eating more will not extend your ability to hit PRs every single workout for more than a few weeks. If it did, every fat dude who lifts would be an 800lb squatter in two years. When LP stalls you have to switch to more complex programming.

If you're an average guy and you can squat more than 315x5, or have a 400+ deadlift, don't bother with SSLP. But if a dude squats 185 for 3x5 I promise he doesn't need to eat 7000 calories to squat 190 for 3x5 two days later.

If a hypothetical average guy (who starts his squat at 135x5) eats just a slight surplus on SSLP and gets adequate protein his squat may stall at 285x5. Same guy eats a huge surplus and gains another 15 lbs of bodyweight he might get to 315x5. You can make the vast majority of the progress eating pretty much normally with some extra protein.

Plenty of overweight people do LP in a deficit and make great progress.

Last edited:

Rick653

FNG
I know this might be going away from the original shoulder mobility / impingement issue, but another good starting program is Wendler's 5,3,1.

Just like alot of these programs you can run it exactly as the program states or more like a template. I keep a rep record (1-10) of all my lifts to help track my progress

*zap*

WKR
narrower than shoulders grip, angled hand grip with thumbs higher, chest up/shoulders back and think about bending the bar as you press it. nacb.

:)

WKR
You don't need to put on excessive bodyfat for linear progression to work…….Starting Strength works for about 3 months if you do it right.
Thanks for the response, I’ll try to keep an open mind. But if I ever decide to give heavy barbell training a try, it wouldn’t be before next winter. I divide my year into quarters with a different emphasis throughout the year. Right now, it’s hiking and hill sprints, not squats.

OP

4rcgoat

WKR
I know this might be going away from the original shoulder mobility / impingement issue, but another good starting program is Wendler's 5,3,1.

Just like alot of these programs you can run it exactly as the program states or more like a template. I keep a rep record (1-10) of all my lifts to help track my progress
Thanks Rick,I actually ran Weindler 531 last year. I liked the simplicity of it. Problem with me is around the end of August,I've spent all year waiting for September to chase elk and deer so any program I'm on gets tossed out the window. Then when the dust settles towards the end of November I'm trying to get back on something stable. Rinse and repeat.

Rick653

FNG
Thanks Rick,I actually ran Weindler 531 last year. I liked the simplicity of it. Problem with me is around the end of August,I've spent all year waiting for September to chase elk and deer so any program I'm on gets tossed out the window. Then when the dust settles towards the end of November I'm trying to get back on something stable. Rinse and repeat.
I don't know about you, but I enjoy the climb back up. Kind of starting fresh and ready to make all new progression after the season. Just for me it's whitetail out east

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ agreed :)

I always experience at least one hiatus from Wendler (about two months with big game season and usually another couple of weeks here and there). Just back the 1RM off appropriately, I'll err a little on the side of too much, vs too little, and start right back in.