oatmeal for breakfast during the hunt

sk1

WKR
i see it appears to be a favorite around here....i usually skip breakfast and go until i need a snack, but i am trying to get better about that this year. are you guys really taking the time to do a boil in the morning for oatmeal? usually while i am hunting i dont like to sit around long in the cold mornings i am in a hurry to hike and get warmed up. is everyone eating it cold? i am contemplating trying it cold tomorrow with some peanut butter mixed in as a test run and see if i can force it down...what do you guys do?

any other breakfast ideas that are quick?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I eat hot oatmeal almost every morning. I eat two packets with honey I bum from KFC:)

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
well since you're already ripping off the colonel, got any idea where to get peanut butter packets? i might go pay KFC a visit lol.....ugh hot oatmeal, too much time!

OR Archer

WKR
I normally eat a couple packets of oatmeal each morning. warms me up and gives me some good energy to start the day. this year im going to try some granola cereal with powdered milk and a little protein powder mixed in. this will give me about 800 clean calories for about a 1 1/3 cups of cereal and milk/protein mix. and no boiling water.

I take 3 of the brown sugar oatmeal packs and vacuum seal them together into one breakfast so they weigh less than the original packaging and they are less likely to tear open. To prepare I don't boil water I just heat it up real quick and while doing that slice the end off the package. Just dump the hot water right in to the bag, stir it up and eat.

I sure understand wanting to get rolling but I usually start the process before getting out of the bag and the little Soto stove brings the temp up in the tent quickly which helps motivate me climb the rest of the way out!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
well since you're already ripping off the colonel, got any idea where to get peanut butter packets? i might go pay KFC a visit lol.....ugh hot oatmeal, too much time!

If you can find a Army/Navy store that has MRE's, sometimes they have MRE's that are ripped open and they sale the guts. That's where I have bought PB packets before. Plus there good for twenty years!

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I normally eat two oatmeal packets in the morning and add some raisins, yes I boil the water that way I can have warm oatmeal and something hot to drink. That seems to help me get going in the morning and gives me something to work off of till lunch time.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I Vaccum sealed two packs with dried fruit, nuts and protein powder. Did a test cook the other day and it was delicious. In the field I guess it depends on what were doing and how the weather is cooperating. Socked in, let's cook bfast. Clear day with rams in view, snack it and get moving or wake up earlier and get cooking before daylight.
I'm with ya though, I like a solid bfast. My oatmeal packs are around 600 calories!!

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I might have to modify my oatmeal now that you guys have given me some ideas. Thinking my standard two packs with some powdered milk and fruit in the vacuum sealed bag should do the trick, thanks!

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Ahead of the trip at home, for each day I put 2 of the flavoured oatmeal packs in a ziplock bag and I also toss in a scoop of vanilla protein powder. The ziplock bag serves as the bowl. Boil up some water and you are good to go.

BigSurArcher

Banned
Oatmeal for me too. If I don't have coffee in the morning I'm useless within hours, so I have to heat up some water either way.

Can't stand oatmeal in the morning myself, but as far as peanut butter packs they sell Jiff singles at Safeway. Really like them for breakfast with a Cliff bar for dipping into the peanut butter!

Mike

sk1,

There are lots of ways to make a quick and calorie filled breakfast that tastes good. Think about other breakfast cereals than dry oatmeal for one thing.

~ Granola, grape nuts, mueseli, or other dry/crunchy cereals can be eaten dry if you like or chased with cold water or whatever your drink of choice is.

~ You can take the ones above and add dried fruit like raisins or cranberries to the mix for more fiber, sugar, taste and energy.

~ Add some protein powder or dried milk (non-fat or whole, your choice) and some water and you have an even better concoction that you can eat cold or, even better, warmed up a bit. If packaged in a ziplock baggie you can put it together (with the warm water) at camp and carry it to your first stop where it will have turned into a warm mixture you can eat right from the bag if you don't want to eat it at camp.

~ You might also want to check out the recipes for home made breakfast bars or energy bars that you can find on the backpacking forums. You basically make up your favorite mix, bake it in the oven, cut it into bars, and then wrap them up for use in the field.

Like mentioned above, you can get packets of stuff to add to any of your meals (butter, honey, ketchup, mustard, salsa, etc.) at fast food restaurants. Many grocery stores carry individual sized packets of peanut butter like HellsCanyon mentioned. You would be amazed at the variety of things that are offered in small/individual sized packages in your local stores these days.

Larry

JNDEER

WKR
I take the time to boil water for instant coffee, but that is about it.

One oatmeal brekfast bar (brown sugar or apple) and one pre-packaged single cinnamon roll.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I did the oatmeal and coffee thing. it was OK, but got old quick and it was hot and the coffee/oatmeal made you hotter. I also had some granola/breakfast bars and those were good.

So this year I am goin gto mix it up. Taking cereal and powdered milk along with tea bags. When I go to bed I will put the teabag in a nalgene bottle and let it sit overnight, then in the morning, I can have my cereal and tea (for the caffene) and be on the trail in no time. I tried it once on a scouting trip and it held off the no-caffene headaches.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
you know....no-doze fights off the headaches and weighs virtually nothing :D and if that is too much caffeine break it in half