Oatmeal on a low carb diet

Trying to drop a few pounds for the upcoming Elk season, and been watching my carbs. I try to stay under 20 carbs a day. I have been eating a half bowl of oatmeal and drinking a lo carb protein drink for breakfast (drink has 20 grams of protein). Should I eliminate the oatmeal since it takes up most of my carb allowance for the day?? I have been told that the oatmeal is really good for you, and the carbs don't matter. What you guys think?

jeffpg

WKR
That's a tough one. I like my oatmeal too. It's a good carb, but a carb nontheless. I doubt there's a better carb to replace it with...

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
A quality oatmeal does a lot to assist with overall digestive processes, which could help outweigh the total carb count. Plus I believe a lot of the carbs in oats are fiber, which a lot of people will subtract from the "net carb" count for a low carb diet. Outside of that I think a lot of it may just be a personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
L
I think only 4 grams of the 28 are fiber, so that still leaves me with 24 grams of carbs, which exceeds my daily allowance of 20.

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Are you just trying to go low carb? Or are you doing a high fat diet?

OP
L
Low carb mostly. Lots of protein that might include some fat, and salads with olive oil, etc for mega3 fatty acid. I don't go for the low fat diet.

How is your energy level through out the day and around workouts with that low of carb intake 20 grams is pretty low , i would die. I was keeping my carbs around 1 gram per pound of body weight (195g) and lost weight plus had energy to workout. You could keep it at 20 grams per meal and still be very low

OP
L
Being over 60, my workouts are not that strenuous. I do a brisk 3 mile walk every day. I tend to get the typical "2PM crash", but I take some "Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover". It helps a lot. If I really get low, I eat a half an apple with some peanut butter. That gives me a real kick in the pants.

wapitibob

WKR
Get a keto app and you'll know in seconds what you can eat or not. Oatmeal is in the "not" category.

I have used carb manager and stupid simple keto

OP
L
My two cents...if your diet "requires" you to cut out healthy, minimally processed food in favor of a processed supplement, you may be on the wrong path. Keep the oatmeal and cut the supplement.

The Hydrate and Recover is a supplement (powder) you add to water that adds electrolytes, etc and no processed sugars. I drink it also when hunting at altitude to stay hydrated.

Poser

WKR
I’ll Argue with most anyone that high quality oats + some fat and complete protein of some type is the finest performance breakfast that exists. Unless your sedentary, I’d cut some thing else out. Shakes, while an effective means of delivering supplemental protein and calories, are not ideal for meal replacement and can in fact cause you to consume more calories throughout the day. I’d consider replacing that with eggs + greens and avocado or similar.

OP
L
My two cents...if your diet "requires" you to cut out healthy, minimally processed food in favor of a processed supplement, you may be on the wrong path. Keep the oatmeal and cut the supplement.

You're right, however the Hydrate and Recover has no processed sugar, and is a powder supplement to add to water. I also use it to stay hydrated on my hunts out West.

I think carbs are carbs. I think going that low carb you should either go keto or don't. Bouncing back and forth is rough. Other people will probably say different, but I'd be more likely to drop the apple cuz of sugar than the oatmeal, but that's just me. I think carbs are carbs and sugar is sugar, they both make you fat regardless. sugar from apples has benefits though

renagde

WKR
In my opinion, it depends whether you're trying to do keto or not. If you're trying to be keto, absolutely cut it out. The fewer carbs the better and you probably won't reach ketosis eating that many carbs. If keto is not your goal, then there's nothing wrong with eating oatmeal. I'd cut out all sugars and processed foods and you should be able to meet your weight goal.

The problem with carbs is that they make you crave more carbs. By eating them in the morning, you're causing a spike in blood sugar which is going to feel like a relative low a few hours later and you're going to be hungry again. In my opinion carbs are best consumed at the end of the day, when you can sleep through the effects and they'll be converted to fat by the time you wake up. I consume a bunch of fat first thing in the morning, and don't get cravings throughout the day. If I wanted to indulge, I'd do it at night. I'd cut out the hydrate and recover. It's 9 carbs on a 20 carb a say allowance. It doesn't seem worth it. When you get used to this diet, you're probably going to want to increase the amount of carbs. 20 is really restrictive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
Counting carbs is stupid... calories are what make weight. Burn more calories than you take in... you lose weight. Period.

Carbs are just easy to consume and lose track of... thats why fad diets target them.