Oben versus Aoka: Are they the same???

Superdoo

WKR
I've looked through the threads and seen a few folks are running these. I'm wondering if they are the same tripod with separate branding. The advertised specs are so similar there's not a clear difference with the exception of Oben listing a capacity of 11 lbs. to Aoka listing 5.5 lbs.
So I'm hoping for some help to shed some light on:
A) Are they the exact same tripod with same heads?
B) If they aren't what are the differences?

Obviously, the first thing we need to do is get real world specs on these two options. For help on that I will be tagging members that might be owners of these. I'd like them to provide the following specs (if they'd be so kind):
- Weight and height without the head or any center column.
- Height with just the head.
- Primary leg outside diameter. (the largest diameter leg)
- Hardware specs. (hex head size would probably be enough)
- Any notable features that your brand has that the other may not?

Aoka: $90

Oben: $115

@renagde @VirginiaBeach @AkMtnRunner @twall13 @B_Reynolds_AK @antlerz @treillw @tdhanses @Moserkr @Smokey12 @Pabst

My gut tells me they are the same. I appreciate any and all help solving this global issue!

renagde

WKR
I've looked through the threads and seen a few folks are running these. I'm wondering if they are the same tripod with separate branding. The advertised specs are so similar there's not a clear difference with the exception of Oben listing a capacity of 11 lbs. to Aoka listing 5.5 lbs.
So I'm hoping for some help to shed some light on:
A) Are they the exact same tripod with same heads?
B) If they aren't what are the differences?

Obviously, the first thing we need to do is get real world specs on these two options. For help on that I will be tagging members that might be owners of these. I'd like them to provide the following specs (if they'd be so kind):
- Weight and height without the head or any center column.
- Height with just the head.
- Primary leg outside diameter. (the largest diameter leg)
- Hardware specs. (hex head size would probably be enough)
- Any notable features that your brand has that the other may not?

Aoka: $90

Oben: $115

@renagde @VirginiaBeach @AkMtnRunner @twall13 @B_Reynolds_AK @antlerz @treillw @tdhanses @Moserkr @Smokey12 @Pabst

My gut tells me they are the same. I appreciate any and all help solving this global issue!
They look extremely similar but I'm not convinced they are. Most likely made in the same Chinese factory but I don't think it's just rebranded. The Aoka has some accessories that the Oben does not, namely the carabiner with the attachment to allow you to hang something heavy in between the legs as well as the phone holder. There is actually a review on that Amazon link of the Aoka that does a pretty thorough direct comparison of the Oben and the Aoka as well as another model that I was not aware of.

Looks like the main difference is that the Oben has an adjustable height center column "neck," and the Aoka does not.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
If I can remember I'm happy to get some real world specs on the Aoka tonight.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
I found this reviewer saying they are the same though...

1638397745893.png

After reading the long review above, I'm not convinced they aren't the same.
Does the Oben have a spot where a screw in counterweight could be added?
Is the Oben center column better/ different than the Aoka?

I'm curious to see if the ball heads are the same too. It seems both seem solid enough considering their size, but why the spec discrepancy then?

Moserkr

WKR
Not sure about the difference between the two, but i bought both the aoka you referenced, and its brother, the next size up. I returned the smaller one - I didnt want to only be able to sit while using it. Its seriously short.

Beyond that, overall very impressed with the quality. Came in a fancy box too. The ball head is nice, but I like pan’s better so that got replaced. Added a few more quick arca plates for my binos and shooting yoke, and its has a deer under its belt already. Weight was as advertised. Quality well above price point. No complaints here. Spotted more elk with it and lesser binos too vs my buddy decked out with better everything, eyesight included lol.

Happy to share any info on it if you want. Ive never seen the fancy $500-1000 tripods to compare, but as of now dont care if I ever do.

twall13

WKR
Aoka Specs-

Weight on my kitchen scale without head or center column 363 G or 12.79 Oz

Height without head- 12" from bottom of rubber foot to base of screw where the head mounts.

Tripod head by itself- 2.6" from base to tallest point (from base to where the Arca plate would sit is 2.43")

Included Tripod head weight but itself- 137 G or 4.83 Oz.

Deployed Height without head- 25.5" from ground to base of screw where the head mounts.

Deployed leg length- 27&3/8 inches from bottom of rubber foot to base of screw where the head mounts.

Largest leg diameter as measured by my calipers- 0.63"

All hardware appears to use a #4 Allen wrench.

I don't have any distinguishing features to add from what the comparison review above shows. I will say that all connections and hardware are metal and it's a remarkably solid tripod for how compact and light it is. I really like the metal twist locks. I think the head is garbage, but I replaced mine with a RRS BPC-16 and that was a huge improvement. Granted the head cost me more than the tripod but all in it's a tripod combo I don't mind packing anywhere and it works well for what it is. It's too short for me to use for long glassing sessions in most conditions but I just bought the Sunway center column linked in a post above to try and see if I can make it more usable. I haven't tried it out yet and I don't like the idea of packing an extra piece along but the tripod has enough potential I wanted to give it a shot. Hopefully my measurements help.

twall13

WKR
Not sure about the difference between the two, but i bought both the aoka you referenced, and its brother, the next size up. I returned the smaller one - I didnt want to only be able to sit while using it. Its seriously short.

Do you have a link to that bigger tripod? I looked about a year ago but couldn't find a slightly larger one with the same design and features. I'd be interested in checking it out.

OP
Superdoo

Superdoo

WKR
Well I bought one. First impressions are that it’s legit and comes in at 17 ounces with the head attached. It’s also just plain tiny. I mean, like really tiny!
Here’s a photo of it alongside my Sirui T004SK.

I played with the head and my 10x42s. It works really well!

I will be buying a different center column for it though. The one it comes with is way too tall. I measured it at 10.5” collapsed.
I’m 6’2” tall and if I had a 6” center column I could avoid using the third telescopic legs altogether.

Attachments

• E630A5A6-93EC-447A-A9D9-24A21D49CB00.jpeg
    E630A5A6-93EC-447A-A9D9-24A21D49CB00.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 28

ChrisAU

WKR
Well I bought one. First impressions are that it’s legit and comes in at 17 ounces with the head attached. It’s also just plain tiny. I mean, like really tiny!
Here’s a photo of it alongside my Sirui T004SK.

I played with the head and my 10x42s. It works really well!

I will be buying a different center column for it though. The one it comes with is way too tall. I measured it at 10.5” collapsed.
I’m 6’2” tall and if I had a 6” center column I could avoid using the third telescopic legs altogether.

The Sunaway one I posted above is worlds better than the one that comes with the Aoka. Measured it this morning at 7.25". I'm 5' 10" and with a Outdoorsman's pistol grip which adds a good bit of height as well I am covered for all my sitting glassing needs. The Aoka + OD pistol grip is too short for me when looking sharply up hill.

ChrisAU

WKR
Here’s a visual representation. All legs on the Aoka all the way in. For sitting glassing I would need to extend the 2nd portion and play with the 3rd, but then fine tune vertical using the center column.

DC451E5D-2522-4298-87C5-EB548DC5BECC.jpeg

Last edited: