Obnoxious about layering.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m still trying to tweak and cut weight. Here is where I am. I’m only looking at the tops. I’m pretty happy with my bottoms.
97 peleton
Klamath hoodie
Kuiu kenai
Fanatic vest
Kelvin hoody.
Dew point rain jacket

I feel like need a soft shell or something of the sort. I’ve considered the jet stream and mountain jacket. I had the kuiu guide jacket but parted with it because it was the same material as my pro pants and I don’t like the whoosh whoosh when I walk and definitely didn’t want it in the jacket. Just looking for opinions and options

Your question needs more context of temps, wind, and type of hunt to formulate good responses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
Well I will range from mid mid 50’s to the teens at between 3600 and 5800 elevation. Windy and wet. Also I hike in at minimum 1.79 miles but then sit.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’m hoping not to have to wear them all at one time. Lol. Just making sure I have all my bases covered

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
You have 5 hooded jackets!?
What about base layers and mid layers?
Seems like a ton of overlap and nothing I would want to hike in.

We do a week long hunt in similar weather (25° - 60° with lots of rain/snow) that involves a 6 mile hike in to where we camp. I’ve done this hunt 3 times.

During the hike in I will start with a merino T-Shirt under a light zip merino long sleeve. We’re all in T-Shirts within 15 minutes of the hike if the temps are above 40°.

Always have a place to store your hike-in clothes as they will be coming off and on if you rest. I would ditch 3 of your hoodies though, that is way too redundant. You certainly only need 1 puffy! You’ll never wear a puffy while moving unless it’s below 30°.

Hiking in 30°-40° weather is tough because you still sweat but will freeze as soon as you stop. Just keep your puffy really handy when hiking in this temp and rest often to prevent sweat. I find a light long sleeve T-shirt is good for cold hiking as it prevents exposed skin but isn’t too warm.

By keeping your hike-in layers ultralight you can dedicate them to high sweat activities and not have to wear them hunting. At least change your T-Shirt and wipe yourself off with a wet wipe when you get to your hunt area.

When I still hunt, I will wear all merino (unless it’s raining). I find the First Lite 240 top to be invaluable on hunts. I have a T-shirt and maybe a thin mid layer on underneath. I will wear merino long johns and regulate my temp by unzipping my shirt.

Again, when I stop I put on my puffy to never get chilled. I try hard not to ever sweat while still hunting. You should be able to regulate your clothing to prevent sweating when the temps are under 60°.

MAKE SURE YOU SIT ON SOMETHING INSULATED WHEN YOU SIT. This is huge in keeping your body temp up, I bring an inflatable pad and will blow it up even for a 5 minute sit. Keeps me warm and dry.

When It’s raining, I go full rain gear. A day of hunting in the rain without rain pants is a pipe dream.

Still hunting in 40° weather, I have on an Icebreaker T-shirt, Smartwool thin mid layer shirt, and First Lite 240 Top.
On bottoms I have ultralight Smartwool long johns and First Lite Kanab pants with OR gaiters:
75636157_10156438831822161_5470105678586576896_o.jpg

Next day was all rain and still in the 40's.
I added a rain jacket on top and replaced the Kenabs fro ECWCS Level 6 pants. Both will handle a day of solid rain and breath well enough for cold weather. A full brimmed hat is far superior to a hood IMO:

74336785_10156438837757161_1869138233569312768_o.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
The peleton is not hooded nor is the kenai or the vest. I do have hike in clothes. I hike in, in either first lite kanab or obsidians, an under armor heat gear ss and a hoodie.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I do appreciate the advice. I’m hoping that I have just enough to cover all phases and season of hunting.