Observation of Hunters: 150 mi Bike Tour

Poser

WKR
I just did a little under 150 mile section of the Colorado Trail over 4.5 days, mostly in the high country on my bike. I don’t even know how many elk units I traversed: 7, 8, 9... maybe 10+. Since opening day of archery was on Saturday, I saw, encountered, and talked to quite a few hunters along the way over the course of Fri, Sat and Sun.

Observations:

1. In general, hunters are spending lots of cash on clothes, especially Kuiu, and comparatively far less on backpacks. $1000+ worth of new clothes on and a $200 backpack.

2. Not as many true Backcountry hunters as I would have expected. Granted, that’s an observation from a primary trail, but it is a main artery for access. I talked to one solo guy who was packing in camp and another duo who had pack goats. Most Everyone else was day hunting from a vehicle or basecamp.

3. Hunters with horses were, well, riding horses around. While I get that you can cover a lot of ground, at some point, if you’re not getting off your horse, I’m not sure if you’re doing it right, at least in the modern setting of high country hunting in Colorado. At the lower scrub oak elevations near the end, there were guys who seemed to be driving around in their trucks all day looking for elk. These seem to be similar tactics with similar pitfalls: maybe you intend to get out of the truck or off the horse to investigate certain areas, but it’s too tempting to just keep covering ground. Some of these guys asked me if I had seen any animals. If you cover enough ground, I suppose you’ll encounter an elk at some point, but in the high country, hunters on horseback are easily visible from miles away and you can’t see much of anything from a truck in scrub oak country short of a few scenic overlooks. I think that truck hunting in scrub oak elevation has to be the least interesting form of elk hunting that exists. On horseback in the high country, at least you’re in the high country.

4. Truck basecamps: a lot of guys seem to be choosing where to hunt based on obtaining a prime truck camping spot. Judging by how many guys I saw loafing at basecamp in the afternoon hours, they must have been hunting close to these camps. Basecamps seem to come in clusters and almost never in isolation. Maybe the campers don’t perceive it that way, but when you roll past 20+ camps in 2-3 miles of trail and most seem to be hunting morning and evenings, you can’t help but wonder how far they are getting from camp during 3 hour windows.

5. I’ve seen this scenario now twice: hunters with high end, tricked out gear seemingly go out of their way to camp in a highly wind/weather exposed area. Maybe they are testing out tents and gear for an upcoming sheep hunt, but they could move 250 yards laterally and be in a treeline and not need Hillberg tents to withstand the winds, yet they choose a camp spot right smack in the middle of an exposed pass, which also happens to be a few feet from the Colorado Trail and then they look at you with annoyance or even animosity when you come pushing your bike uphill or shredding downhill next to their camp. On one hand, I’m sure it looked like a “remote basin” miles from a TH on Google Earth, but you set up camp next to one of the most popular trails in the whole world that takes 5 weeks for the average Thru hiker and 2 weeks for the average Thru biker and there is only about a 8-10 week window to do the trail. And while you may not see that many day hikers that far from the TH, you’re certainly well within the range of day bikers, so on a Saturday in late august, there may be 50-75 people passing by your fancy tent posted up on the middle of an exposed pass where you presumably thought you’d glass from your tent like the guy sheep hunting in the Kuiu ad, but instead you got a constant view of really stinky, skinny white people and you don’t even get enough privacy to take a shit so you have to traverse to the trees where you could have camped in the first place.
34c14178200e8f466db7991461e2f310.jpg
1bbd6d63541cbdc587ddc143e82b2738.jpg
cd21711d22d277963c3ded97687916b8.jpg
617286479a2cad570f281f0b70aad796.jpg

Braaap

WKR
I was just up there riding myself. We started at Molas Pass and rode to Moab hut to hut. Saw some elk sign but never saw a single elk.

Attachments

• IMG_20190814_114950046.jpg
    IMG_20190814_114950046.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 73
yet they choose a camp spot right smack in the middle of an exposed pass, which also happens to be a few feet from the Colorado Trail and then they look at you with annoyance or even animosity when you come pushing your bike uphill or shredding downhill next to their camp. On one hand, I’m sure it looked like a “remote basin” miles from a TH on Google Earth, but you set up camp next to one of the most popular trails in the whole world that takes 5 weeks for the average Thru hiker and 2 weeks for the average Thru biker and there is only about a 8-10 week window to do the trail. And while you may not see that many day hikers that far from the TH, you’re certainly well within the range of day bikers, so on a Saturday in late august, there may be 50-75 people passing by your fancy tent posted up on the middle of an exposed pass where you presumably thought you’d glass from your tent like the guy sheep hunting in the Kuiu ad, but instead you got a constant view of really stinky, skinny white people and you don’t even get enough privacy to take a shit so you have to traverse to the trees where you could have camped in the first place.

I saw that first hand between Durango and Silverton a few years back. 2nd week of Sept and the CO trail was full of traffic, as it should be that time of year!

Funny thing is, the largest herd of elk we were chasing that week routinely showed up to feed just over a rise within 1/2 mile of that section of CO trail. LOL I lost track of the number of hikers and mtn bikers we passed with our ML's and packs on our back. What struck me though was how friendly they all were to these two muzzleloader hunters. Almost every single one wished us luck. I found that to be very refreshing.

We were the only hunters I saw in that area. I guess everyone else figured the activity on the CO trail would scare away the critters but we used it to our advantage.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I saw that first hand between Durango and Silverton a few years back. 2nd week of Sept and the CO trail was full of traffic, as it should be that time of year!

Funny thing is, the largest herd of elk we were chasing that week routinely showed up to feed just over a rise within 1/2 mile of that section of CO trail. LOL I lost track of the number of hikers and mtn bikers we passed with our ML's and packs on our back. What struck me though was how friendly they all were to these two muzzleloader hunters. Almost every single one wished us luck. I found that to be very refreshing.

We were the only hunters I saw in that area. I guess everyone else figured the activity on the CO trail would scare away the critters but we used it to our advantage.

If you’re talking about where I think you’re talking about, I’ve seen that herd in that area almost every year. The way the landscape works combined with the thermal flow would make for a very, very difficult actual stalk. -not hard to glass then from a 1/2 mile away, but I’d be surprised if more than a tiny handful of elk are killed in that spot, if any at all.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I was just up there riding myself. We started at Molas Pass and rode to Moab hut to hut. Saw some elk sign but never saw a single elk.

Did you do that DIY or use Western Spirit for the logistics? Molas Pass to Celebration Lake is a great ride. Hard to believe it’s only 1700 feet of elevation gain because you feel every foot of that! And Rolling Pass to Cascade Bridge is an absolute shred fest.

Braaap

WKR
San Juan Huts is the company. 7 days 6 nights. Highly recommend them. 223 miles and 22,500 ft elevation gain.

If you’re talking about where I think you’re talking about, I’ve seen that herd in that area almost every year. The way the landscape works combined with the thermal flow would make for a very, very difficult actual stalk. -not hard to glass then from a 1/2 mile away, but I’d be surprised if more than a tiny handful of elk are killed in that spot, if any at all.
And you would be correct. LOL We struck out, but it was nice to at least see elk every day.

Phaseolus

WKR
San Juan Huts is the company. 7 days 6 nights. Highly recommend them. 223 miles and 22,500 ft elevation gain.
I’ll derail this a bit, come ride the Palisade Plunge next summer, it will be 34 miles and 6000’ drop with 1200’ climb when we finish it.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I’ll derail this a bit, come ride the Palisade Plunge next summer, it will be 34 miles and 6000’ drop with 1200’ climb when we finish it.

I read about that recently. Should be fun and bring a lot of commerce to the area if it attracts anything close to the numbers of The Whole Enchilada and the Monarch Crest Trail. If you’re a GJ Local, I’d be looking into opening a shuttle service right about now

Phaseolus

WKR
I read about that recently. Should be fun and bring a lot of commerce to the area if it attracts anything close to the numbers of The Whole Enchilada and the Monarch Crest Trail. If you’re a GJ Local, I’d be looking into opening a shuttle service right about now
Palisade local