Obsidian Merino Pants from FL

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any experience with the Obsidian Merino First Lite pants? I ordered Kuiu Attack pants and they didn’t not fit right. Would wear on mid-late Sept elk hunt and normal everyday wear.

Ddog

WKR
Some guys say they're not durable, but I have 2 pairs that work awesome for all my needs. With that said, I wouldn't use them as brush-busters, they have the Sawbuck's for that. I use mine all year, very breathable but warm, especially with a base layer in the colder late season. I love 'em for May turkeys, too, when the temps can range from 30ish to near 80 mid-day.

Wrench

WKR
I'd choose them for dry and not over 70f hunts. They're not as resilient as stretch type pants, but they take about 27 gallons of sweat before they stink. They are not wimpy, but they are not what I'd call durable either. I pulled the embroidery on mine in the first day in the woods, but never did rip the fabric. I hunt the jungle of north Idaho.

My biggest complaint is the dry time is high compared to synthetic materials.....but that's the nature of the material not FL.

With all that said, I'm pretty cheap when it. Ones to gear and I own two pair.

Lowg08

WKR
I own two pairs and I also own the attacks. They both serve their purpose. I mainly use the obsidians for my hike in before i change my clothes. I will often wear the obsidians under my Berber set. Wick bottoms, fleece over them the obsidian then my Berber. Works really well. I prefer the attacks all around. They are great with just a fleece base under them. I’m thinking of buying the kelvin lite pants to wear over them this year. I do not have durability issues out of the obsidian but they do not stop wind.

OP
joel_sledz

joel_sledz

Lil-Rokslider
I'd choose them for dry and not over 70f hunts. They're not as resilient as stretch type pants, but they take about 27 gallons of sweat before they stink. They are not wimpy, but they are not what I'd call durable either. I pulled the embroidery on mine in the first day in the woods, but never did rip the fabric. I hunt the jungle of north Idaho.

My biggest complaint is the dry time is high compared to synthetic materials.....but that's the nature of the material not FL.

With all that said, I'm pretty cheap when it. Ones to gear and I own two pair.
I currently own Prana Stretch Zion pants and love them for hunting and everyday wear. They also dry within 20 minutes (no exaggeration). Do you happen to have any experience with these? If so, are the Obsidians the same type of “stretch” material?? Thanks!

Ddog

WKR
I'd say the FL Corrugate Guide pants would be closer to the Pranas. Obsidians are a merino/ripstop blend. With that said, the Obsidians are very stretchy and comfortable.

Lowg08

WKR
I currently own Prana Stretch Zion pants and love them for hunting and everyday wear. They also dry within 20 minutes (no exaggeration). Do you happen to have any experience with these? If so, are the Obsidians the same type of “stretch” material?? Thanks!

In my opinion they are a far cry apart in fabric types. I consider my attack pants more closely with the prana. I have been debating on the prana myself I tried on a pair at REI and they felt similar to my attacks which I had on that day. Just wish they had hip vents

Wrench

WKR
I have the guides too. The obsidian is for maximum stealth, the guides are for maximum drying out from exertion. As a longbow guy the obsidian makes sense to me. When I have a rifle.....guides all the.

I loved the Guides, until I got the Kanab 2.0 and then the newer version Obsidians. I also own a few pairs of Prana's. Hands down each has its place. If I was allowed only one to use- Obsidian hands down.
But In all honesty, this push to find one pair of pants for all things, one pack for all things, one shelter, bag, pad etc.... is just unrealistic. With so much technology in specialized areas, it benefits us to utilize this when feasible.
I hunt every season other than Scouting early August, in my Obsidian and Kanabs. I scout in my Guides. I work in my Pranas.

Catahoula

WKR
I have a pair currently and also sent a pair back to to FL based on a failure of premature wear on the seams in the crotch area. I sent them off and FL refunded me the the full amount. I will say that they are the most comfortable and breathable pant. FL took care in refunding and that was good. I may buy the guide lite pants and try them out....

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Some guys say they're not durable, but I have 2 pairs that work awesome for all my needs. With that said, I wouldn't use them as brush-busters, they have the Sawbuck's for that. I use mine all year, very breathable but warm, especially with a base layer in the colder late season. I love 'em for May turkeys, too, when the temps can range from 30ish to near 80 mid-day.

I came here to post almost exactly this.

gleason51

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got two pairs I’ve been using hard for the last two years. They are the most comfortable pant I’ve used. I’ve been comfortable in temps upwards of 75, as well as -20 with a good base layer. No durability issues for me so far, hopefully picking up a pair in ash grey pretty soon.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Get them in solids so when you show up after being in the fields or hunting your wife won't be annoyed when you show up to the lake/BBQ/get together in camo pants.

They are comfortable like pajamas.
But they are worthless durability wise.
Idk maybe I just have giant grapefruit size balls but I can see thru the crotch. And I definitely have babied them. Junk imo.
But there worth have just for a quite stock if need be.

ShakeDown

WKR
I have the Fl guides, obsidians, and the Kuiu attacks and tiburons. The obsidians are the most quiet of them all. It’s because of that that I use them in most spot/stalk situations.

For me the fit isn’t great. I prefer the athletic cut of the attacks. An athletic cut obsidIan with hip vents would be money.

Mine lasted five or seven days before I got a hole in the knee. Called First Lite and was told I was SOL and nothing they'd do for me. Sold all my FL and bought Sitka

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

gleason51

Lil-Rokslider
Mine lasted five or seven days before I got a hole in the knee. Called First Lite and was told I was SOL and nothing they'd do for me. Sold all my FL and bought Sitka

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Damn that sucks they wouldn’t help you out. I’ve had great luck with their customer service. I had a pair of Brambler gaiters for about 3 years, and one of the lace hooks finally broke off. No questions asked they refunded me so I could buy a new pair (they were out of the color I originally had, so they didn’t just send a replacement).

D wine

FNG
I own one pair and use them spring thru early fall depending on the weather. Great pants but not meant for going thru think brush with thorns.