Obsidian Pants Replacement

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Last spring I picked up some new with tags Obsidians from the classifieds here. I wore them on my hunt this year and loved them. Until day 3 that is. After 3 days of wear I noticed some piling and wear in the crotch. I wore them a total of 5 days and they were basically disintegrating.

I reached out to FL for a warranty claim. Initially I thought they were bought from FL as a gift, but when I started looking for the purchase info, I realized I was confusing them with a previous pair. I ended up selling those because they were too big.

Long story short. FL has denied my warranty claim because the pants were not bought directly from them. I just wanted another pair of pants, I wasn't looking for a refund.

I own a good bit of FL gear and have had zero complaints until now. This is kind of making me want to go a different route. I don't necessariy have a problem with them sticking to their policy, despite the obvious issue with these pants, but I do have a problem with the policy. These pants are brand new and for what they cost, I would expect the company to stand behind them more. I am quite disappointed in the quality of the product and the refusal to stand behind it.

With that being said, I'm open to recommendations on a suitable substitute for a good pair of pants used primarily for Sept elk and warm weather whitetail hunting. 20211019_092632.jpg20211019_092454.jpg

feanor

WKR
My buddy had a pair blow out there too. We just chocked it up to acidic gooch sweat. Ive had the corrugated guides and they are pretty bomb proof. A little swishy at first, but after washing, they quite down. They’re probably a little warmer than your pair though.

Yikes. I have recently upgraded my old Kanabs to obsidians. Man they are comfortable. Like pajamas. I hope mine hold up.

my favorite hunting pants are kuiu attacks. For not weather I like the tiburons. Those hip vents are the bees knees. Prana zions are a close second.

i have the obsidians (not the foundrys) with the updated crotch and they have the corrugate material in the crotch bc of blowout issue

mmac

WKR
Why not take them to a tailor and for around $10 you can get patches sewn into them where they are wearing out?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
The Kanabs 1, 2, and obsidians were a complete failure in my mind. I had all three, because I started with the kanab 1s and went through the warranty twice.
When I started out I drank the FL koolaid hard, but it got to a point when I had a warranty claim I would just wait until I had several so I could send them in one batch, it never took long... Now I have a mix of everything but stay away from FL aside from socks and base shirts (have two pairs of socks I need to send in now from ripping at seams, one is a warranty replacement from this spring).

I switched to the Sitka Ascent pants and shirt. They have 3 yrs hard use and still going strong. I will not wear anything else for warmer weather.

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. I will look into the pants recommended. I intend to take the obsidians to a tailor, but that's not really the issue.

Thanks everyone. I will look into the pants recommended. I intend to take the obsidians to a tailor, but that's not really the issue.
I like some FL gear just not the Obsidian pants. Not trying to bash them. I would not take the pants to a tailor. Not worth it as other problems with them will show up. They are just not durable.

i have had good luck with the obsidians, i have 2 pair... not tough, but no problems like i had with the kanab 1 and 2's which did tear out easy. my obsidians have the corrugate material in the crotch and have been acceptable durability... i have stabbed some holes in them, but no major blowouts like the kanabs i had.

i'm guessing the warranty issue is because you bought them second hand... i never had issues with warranty claims on the kanabs, just got sick of ruining them every time in short order. i assume those are older obsidians by the looks of them, so the warranty issue isn't really surprising

seeing things from their perspective, you bought a second hand older version of pants for a discount, and you want FL to give you a brand new pair of their updated version.... that's a risk you take buying used, you won't have customer support if you have issues, and don't really think you should expect it....

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
i have had good luck with the obsidians, i have 2 pair... not tough, but no problems like i had with the kanab 1 and 2's which did tear out easy. my obsidians have the corrugate material in the crotch and have been acceptable durability... i have stabbed some holes in them, but no major blowouts like the kanabs i had.

i'm guessing the warranty issue is because you bought them second hand... i never had issues with warranty claims on the kanabs, just got sick of ruining them every time in short order. i assume those are older obsidians by the looks of them, so the warranty issue isn't really surprising

seeing things from their perspective, you bought a second hand older version of pants for a discount, and you want FL to give you a brand new pair of their updated version.... that's a risk you take buying used, you won't have customer support if you have issues, and don't really think you should expect it....
I understand why they have the policy and I understand the risks associated with buying second hand, but when you buy a pair of pants that are new with tags, you expect them to last more than 3 days. That's what is getting me. It would be different if I got a season out of them or if they were already used.

I was unaware of the material upgrade in the crotch area when I bought these, so that's on me for not doing a little more research.

I guess I mistakenly expected a little more out of FL, even once I realized those were the pair I bought off Rokslide and not directly from them.

At this point I'm just venting and am moving on, but my disappointment remains.

Side note: I have a pair of Kanabs 2.0 and have had zero issues. They have been great.

I understand why they have the policy and I understand the risks associated with buying second hand, but when you buy a pair of pants that are new with tags, you expect them to last more than 3 days. That's what is getting me. It would be different if I got a season out of them or if they were already used.

I was unaware of the material upgrade in the crotch area when I bought these, so that's on me for not doing a little more research.

I guess I mistakenly expected a little more out of FL, even once I realized those were the pair I bought off Rokslide and not directly from them.

At this point I'm just venting and am moving on, but my disappointment remains.

Side note: I have a pair of Kanabs 2.0 and have had zero issues. They have been great.
Yeah, I completely understand your frustration, I would be too, but I also understand first lite’s stance… they only know what you told them, and I’m sure they hear all kinds of crazy excuses, so they can’t know when someone has a legitimate complaint… I wouldn’t fault them very much

couple that with sending them pictures of pants that haven’t been made in at least a couple years (without the stretchy crotch material) and claim they were new with tags, you have to understand their skepticism

my 2 pair of obsidian have been excellent, they aren’t the toughest pants by a long shot, but since they updated the crotch material, they have been great. I pretty much always have gaiters on in the woods, so that protects the area that takes a beating, and I have had no durability issues, and the coast is hell on gear… I wouldn’t hesitate bringing them as my only pants on a long backcountry hunt.

the fit is a little wonky, they are kind of baggy from the knees up, but I think that’s kind of necessary with merino… if they fit like most pants did, I do think the seams will eventually tear out, merino just isn’t a tough material