Oc ca

pete

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I recently decided to move to irvine, CA (she's accepting an academic position there), and I was wondering if there are any roksliders in the area. Archery mule deer is what trips my trigger, but it would be cool to hook up with some like-minded individuals to shoot, hike, etc. If anyone has suggestions for archery shops, I would really appreciate it. And any over suggestions on the area, things to do in CA, etc. as I have never even been in that part of the country before.

Hike2hunt

FNG
Wow...hope you like traffic. We moved out of that rat race several years ago. The Sierra's are a beautiful place, much more beautiful now that the drought has eased up. As you research mule deer hunting, the X zones are your premier areas. Just be prepared to have people everywhere you go, the surf fishing is really good. But hunting, you really need to think back country to get away from the rest of the crowd. If you are into fly fishing or such PM me and I will give you some "off the grid" areas my buddy and I used to go to. Best of luck on the move, and not to squash any dreams, but SoCal moves at a faster pace then most places in the US, and the particular area you are moving to, has traffic non-stop even though there is an 8 lane highway.

I know supporting momma is a priority, and we get things done, but it was a struggle as an outdoorsman for me, most of my trips were far away from SoCal.

Beendare

WKR
You have some great archery ranges down there with a strong bunch of quality shooters.
Ok pig hunting if you drive 2-3 hours,
good carp shooting...or tilapia with a CBH shoot coming up
Great mule deer hunting in Az with lots of over the counter opportunity
Bob Phrom's shop is down there...not exactly close to you...but its worth checking it out.

You have great ocean fishing....and good stream fishing in the mtns though its a poke

Heres wishing good luck to you and your wife in turning UC Irvine into something more than the black sheep of the UC system.....

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Orange County archery is the best shop in OC its in Mission Viejo. If your getting your bow worked on ask for the older guy with the missing fingers Ralph. He sets them up and tunes right. I already have a pretty full schedule but there is good Muley hunting with in hours in CA and AZ offers 3 months of otc archery.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

vaeVictis

FNG
Grad student at UCI here.

I'll second the vote for Orange County Archery. Great shop, friendly and funny staff. UCI has a student run Archery club, they meet on the weekends at Mile Square Park which has a large outdoor archery range. Other than that, there's not much here except a lot of people and not a lot of wilderness.

OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
Wow...hope you like traffic. We moved out of that rat race several years ago. The Sierra's are a beautiful place, much more beautiful now that the drought has eased up. As you research mule deer hunting, the X zones are your premier areas. Just be prepared to have people everywhere you go, the surf fishing is really good. But hunting, you really need to think back country to get away from the rest of the crowd. If you are into fly fishing or such PM me and I will give you some "off the grid" areas my buddy and I used to go to. Best of luck on the move, and not to squash any dreams, but SoCal moves at a faster pace then most places in the US, and the particular area you are moving to, has traffic non-stop even though there is an 8 lane highway.

I know supporting momma is a priority, and we get things done, but it was a struggle as an outdoorsman for me, most of my trips were far away from SoCal.

I hear you, but we're moving from Providence, RI and it will only be 1.5-3 years before we move on. Oh, I'm definitely used to having people everywhere, RI has the second highest population density in the country after NJ.
In a number of ways, this should be an
Improvement, and I'm used to traveling for my adventures. To be honest, I'm just happy that I'll have real backcountry within a days drive.
Thanks for the info!

OP
P

pete

Lil-Rokslider
Orange County archery is the best shop in OC its in Mission Viejo. If your getting your bow worked on ask for the older guy with the missing fingers Ralph. He sets them up and tunes right. I already have a pretty full schedule but there is good Muley hunting with in hours in CA and AZ offers 3 months of otc archery.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion, I came across that shop during a google search, and I'll remember to ask for him.