Ochoco 2021 Archery

Good luck! It’s a big unit and there are elk in lots of places. I don’t have much specific advice for you because I don’t bow hunt. But when I was there last October and it was real hot/dry, elk were tight to water, so do with that what you will. And I’ll be there this November with a tag, so leave one or two for me.

You don’t need to backpack to hunt that unit. You can’t get more than a couple miles from a road and most of it isn’t crazy steep. You’d probably just end up sleeping where you should be hunting.

Have an awesome time!

How’s you do? I saw some bulls but didn’t connect. Not many elk hanging in camps second rifle season. Shame I’ll probably never hunt there again. It’s cool but not worth 8 points.

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I had several close encounters but ultimately didn't connect. I was committed to shooting a branch antlered bull (probably foolish considering my lack of experience) but wind/patience/lack of foresight blew several opportunities. Areas of that unit were unbelievably crowded but I was able to find some nuggets where I could hunt without any company. It was worth the 3 points I used to get the tag as it was close enough I could hunt it multiple times during the season. I was disappointed by the lack of vocal animals compared to my experience in Idaho the previous season.