Oct./Nov. Kuiu Pant Recommendations

blackshuk

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recc's of which Kuiu pant to run for Mid/Late season hunts in CA Sierra Nevada. (Oct/Nov).
Not too worried about snow or anything.
I've done my research, just looking for some first hand experiences and opinions.

Really want to stick to Kuiu Valo, so please keep recc's in the Kuiu line.

Thanks!

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We do a Review + raffle on KUIU Pants and recommend the Axis Hybrid pant for most late season scenarios to our winners. You could run the Guides instead if rain / snow isn't an issue. It really depends on the weather conditions. The Talus could be a great option as well.

Last edited:

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

I'm looking for recc's of which Kuiu pant to run for Mid/Late season hunts in CA Sierra Nevada. (Oct/Nov).
I've done my research, just looking for some first hand experiences and opinions.

Thanks!

What are the expected temp ranges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Cant go wrong with Guides Attacks or katana stretch

Take some 3/4 zip off bottoms for morning if your rocking the katanas as they're a bit nippy in snow/frost

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I like my attacks and axis pants, they cover a wide range and with the hip vents they can cover some exertion too.

I wear attacks from 70-upper 50’s, and axis down to around the 40’s. I switch from these pants to my stratus pants below that (i can layer under the stratus pants better), but i could easily see taking the axis pants down into the 30’s to upper 20’s with proper layers.

I think teens with activity you could do axis, but static in the teens would be difficult without some significant help from some
Insulating layers.

Last edited:

novcie870

WKR
I like my attacks and axis pants, they cover a wide range and with the hip vents they can cover some exertion too.

I wear axis from 70-upper 50’s, and axis down to around the 40’s. I switch from these pants to my stratus pants below that (i can layer under the stratus pants better), but i could easily see taking the axis pants down into the 30’s to upper 20’s with proper layers.

I think teens with activity you could do axis, but static in the teens would be difficult without some significant help from some
Insulating layers.

Totally agree. I use the same combo of attacks and axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccarter

FNG
Attacks. I wear them from September through November. No base layer in September with the leg vents open, various weights of base layers underneath in November depending on weather. I had a pair of guides and sold them- didn't like the pocket configuration, and to me, they weren't any warmer or more wind resistant. The attacks have front pockets like jeans, which I prefer. I just with that there wasn't a pocket within a pocket on the legs.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
The axis are pretty dang warm IMO so if you're moving it better be damn cold. For kuiu, attacks as mentioned if warmer and Talus if cooler. Hip zips make all the differenece. I'm a fan of kneepads too but some don't like them. The rear pockets on both are impossibly small to put anything in. My 9 year old daughter can't get her hands in them. The talus seem a little more snug in the groin, wish they fit a bit more like the axis in that respect.

WCB

WKR
I have used my Attacks from 80 down to 30s if on an active hunt. Tailor your zip off long johns to the temp. If not as active of a hunt and in the upper 30s and lower I wear my guide pants with the same long john theory. IMO none of the options are good options for very inactive long glassing periods without the aid of at minimum rain gear to protect from wind or down/additional insulation.

I have the Chugach rain gear for the wind which will also add a couple degrees of warmth in general.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in the Sierra. I wouldn't overthink it too much: as others have said, attacks will get the job done most years in those months in California. I generally won't roll with long johns, even when morning temps start in the high 20s / low 30s if I know that temps will climb by midday. Even with the vents open, I find that I still sweat way too much when climbing.

amassi

WKR
Fwiw- if I had to buy 1 pair of hunting pants right now to last me until the end if my hinting days it would be attacks. I wear them every day so maybe a bit biased but they cover so many bases for western hunting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
I have used my Attacks from 80 down to 30s if on an active hunt. Tailor your zip off long johns to the temp. If not as active of a hunt and in the upper 30s and lower I wear my guide pants with the same long john theory. IMO none of the options are good options for very inactive long glassing periods without the aid of at minimum rain gear to protect from wind or down/additional insulation.

I have the Chugach rain gear for the wind which will also add a couple degrees of warmth in general.

I think baselayers are the key to versatility, and rain pants or puffy pants for me are 100% critical to stay warm if inactive. this is the way.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
If I didn’t want a base layer then I’d go with the guide pants. The peloton 97 zip offs are great under a mid weight pant like the attack.

Mark.c

FNG
Attack pants with zip off 145 wool bottoms. If it’s really cold I bring the puffy zip pants.