October - 3 or 4 season tent?

Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on backcountry tents used in the month of October. Do you consider the durability of a 4 season tent worth the extra weight?

TR909

FNG
I'm in CO, so that time of year can mean anything as far as weather /precip. I like the protection, sturdiness and relative comfort of a 4 season or mountaineering tent, personally. In the past, I've had some sneaker storms that had me waking up to a few inches of spindrift around my down bag and all of my gear while using a summer mesh-dominant tent.

skierhs

WKR
I default to a quality 4 season tent. I hunt Colorado and Montana. At that time of the year I need the durability to deal with high winds, snow and just bad weather.

Personally I'd split the difference, a high quantity "3+" season tent, with full coverage fly, lots of guying attachments, etc. I just really struggle at times with condensation in a true 4 season. The plus side is you'll be more comfortable 85-90% of the time in the 3 - the down side is that the other 10-15% of the time you'll need to be diligent at removing snow loading from your 3.....

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Second rifle 2017 we woke up about 4 am with 5 inches of fresh wet heavy snow on my cimarron. We pushed it all off, not sure if it would have completely collapsed the shelter or not, but it is something to consider.

LaHunter

WKR
This past October, maybe 13th, in WY it snowed hard for about 36 hours straight. Snow was little over knee high when it finally stopped. Temps got down to single digits for about 2-3 nights in a row. Fire is going to be pretty important if you are out in this type of weather.

This past October, maybe 13th, in WY it snowed hard for about 36 hours straight. Snow was little over knee high when it finally stopped. Temps got down to single digits for about 2-3 nights in a row. Fire is going to be pretty important if you are out in this type of weather.

That was a pretty good storm to hit right before the 15th opener. We would have been trouble with out a hot tent.

I was in Montana for antelope this past Oct. I did a little backpacking after I killed my speed goat. I was at about 8000ft and woke up with 4 in of snow on the ground. Go four season with a stove if you can swing it.