October Chugach Clothes

Afternoon/Evening Sheepaholics:
My question is I'm narrowing down my gear and dialing things in more and more.

I've been loosing weight which has been an obstacle I've been chipping away at, I'm getting close to 20 pounds lost this year.
I am looking at getting the BlackOvis Base Layer and Granite Peak Pant. I am wondering about a budget insulation layer and rain layer to go over these as well as revuews for an October Sheep Hunt. I said this in a previous post but this is my first Sheep Hunt and first time backpacking in like this.

I can't afford the Kuiu/FirstLite/Stone Glacier systems or I would 100% go that route. Thanks in advance.

Wapiti1

WKR
Check Eddie Bauer online for their down hoodies and jackets. You should be able to find a decent one there for $100 or a little less. The Cirruslite is a nice jacket comparable to most of the other puffies. Check out sales on the mountaineering brands as well.

Used is also a good option.

Jeremy

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Marmot precip isn’t bad rain gear for the $$$. For a budget puffy jacket, I’d just look on places like Moose Jaw or something, maybe black ovis and just get a reasonable brand that’s on sale. A marmot, north face, Kryptek, and just use the heck out of it.

Bambistew

WKR
October in the Chugach will be wet and snowy. The biggest hurdle you will face will be being able to see the mountain. I would plan on temps in the 20-40 deg range.

Tons of options out there that will work fine, IMO. There is no clothing that will make or break a hunt, they may make it a little more comfortable, but if you can't handle a little cold and wet, I don't think any clothing will keep you on the mountain. I could be mistaken though, IMO its all mental as long as you have something that will keep you mostly warm and dry. I would definitely bring a puffy, mid-layer, base layer along with the rain layer, and a puffy vest and maybe puffy or lined pants depending on how much you might sit around.

I have a couple cheap puffy coats that I take all the time on long hunts, also bought a FL coat that is not nearly as warm as off-brand coats. Good luck on your hunt!

ColeyG

WKR
If you pass through Anchorage any time before your hunt, check out the Hoarding Marmot across from REI on Northern Lights. They sell some new but mostly used outdoor clothing and equipment and have lots of great mountaineering type technical clothing for sale at super cheap prices.

As others have said, keep your eye out for deals on the major brands and the major outlets. REI and Cabelas brand base layers and mid-weight insulation and wind layers can be good values as well. Don't skimp on the hardshell stuff as staying dry in the temps and conditions you are likely to see in Oct is definitely a life-safety issue.

Good luck!

Helly Hansen Impertech, will keep you bone dry, even in sideways stuff/ pushing through brush...roll it up to the size of a couple of Nalgenes and stow it for hard hiking...

keller

WKR
I've bought some of the eddy Bauer packable down stuff this winter for myself wife and kids and have been impressed they run 50% off quite often plus rewards cash if you sign up.