October Dall Sheep Hunt

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider

Might be worth checking out the Scarp 1 or 2 from tarptent. Even the 1 person model has some extra living space. With the solid inner and crossing poles it should be pretty storm worthy. Fair warning, I don't own one, but do run a tarptent notch and like it a lot. I'm sort of shopping for a 2+ person tent and the Scarp is pretty high on the list.

dogman11

FNG
I had a Kuiu tent in the snow storm that hit the Yukon on Aug 16th of this year we had 3ft of snow. I stayed busy keeping my rainsuit laying on top of my sleeping bag trying to stay dry!!!!!! I'm glad I had the EXped pad that was 4" thick to keep me out of the water!!!! I'm ready for a Hillenburg myself don't care what it weighs!!!!

I had a Kuiu tent in the snow storm that hit the Yukon on Aug 16th of this year we had 3ft of snow. I stayed busy keeping my rainsuit laying on top of my sleeping bag trying to stay dry!!!!!! I'm glad I had the EXped pad that was 4" thick to keep me out of the water!!!! I'm ready for a Hillenburg myself don't care what it weighs!!!!

Tent was filling up with condensation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle

yeah that’s a lotta snow! I was considering getting one of those like space blanket Bobby’s to put all my stuff in for extra warmth but it would also be a fairly waterproof cover.
Like trout man asked, where was the water coming from? Condensation, leaking seams, or just so much freaking snow.
How did the Kuiu handle the weight of the snow and the winds?

dogman11

FNG
It was leaking from the wet snow, I kept hitting it to keep the snow off the best I could!
I had to keep it pushed out on the sides as the snow piled up. 3 days of nothing, I haven't been to jail yet but it couldn't be as bad as laying in that tent. To Kuiu credit it was the 3 season tent but I'm not going to take that chance again! I was right near the most northern range in the Yukon like 3 miles from the NWT border.
It was crazy how much more snow we had than what they had back near base camp!

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I drew that hunt years ago and yes we had a few inches of snow during the hunt. Personally if I drew it again I would take my MLD Duomid. Light, storm worthy, and easy to set up. Well within your price range as well.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
I drew that hunt years ago and yes we had a few inches of snow during the hunt. Personally if I drew it again I would take my MLD Duomid. Light, storm worthy, and easy to set up. Well within your price range as well.

I’ll check them out for sure!!!

If you are ok with going floorless, you’d be hard pressed to find a more storm worthy design than a Mid. MLD DuoMid, LG Hapi, HMG Ultamid 2, and a few others in DCF. Great, super light shelters, if you’re okay with going floorless. Personally, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
If you are ok with going floorless, you’d be hard pressed to find a more storm worthy design than a Mid. MLD DuoMid, LG Hapi, HMG Ultamid 2, and a few others in DCF. Great, super light shelters, if you’re okay with going floorless. Personally, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Floorless intrigues me but I’ve only really done full tents except once and that was a big wall tent.
The “romantic traditional” side of me wants to do a tipi but the rational side says to do a Hilleberg.

OP
InteriorAKPopsicle
Also, a lot of people keep saying Stone Glacier but you can’t even buy their tent till June. Do you have the old model?

TWHrunner

Lil-Rokslider
I used a marmot 4 season tent once upon a time in the Brooks Range in September. The snow and wind that came down 2 nights made it shake like I was in an earthquake. I never regretted having a heavier 4 season tent with me. It was a two man tent with 4 full separate aluminum poles.